1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Auxiliary Lights

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bikerkev, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Steve, I don't think its a concern at all as they are LED's the wattage will be very low(probably around 10W-30W) but the lumen rating will be quite high, I believe the MTS alternator is rated at something like 500 watts so any LED driving lamp will be of little concern, unless you need to know for another reason ??

#21 Wayne58, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  2. Just found this on an old thread @Steviegtr

Here is the maths.
    The MTS1200 has a 500 watt alternator. Note that that will be the max output and this will be reached at mid level revs or above. It will be held to 500W by the regulator. It will be lower output than this at idle or low revs but will be "topped up" by the battery at this time.

The headlight bulbs are the main user of power and are rated at 55W each. So with low beam (normal riding) or high beam you will use 110W. The only exception will be when you flash the headlights when all 4 bulbs come on and you will use 220W.

Add to the the other power used by the bikes system, Dash, indicators, ECU, fuel pump, suspension adjustment when it is in use and you may be using another 10 - 50W. So chugging along the highway you probably have more than 300 - 350W to play with or "headspace" as you term it.

On my bike I have a Stebel Nautilis and this will draw 18 Amps (Amps = Watts/Volts) so this will use 216 Watts for the time the horn is tooted. So if my lights are on and I toot the horn I am still not in trouble.

The Solstice lights I have fitted are LEDs and use very little power for the light output as they do not make nearly as much heat as a halogen. Each light is rated at 10W giving a total extra power draw of 20W. In theory I could add 30 of these spotlights and still not have a problem.

I think the only time you will have trouble using up all of the MTS1200 alternator output is if you start putting high draw items on your bike like lots of heated clothing or an electric kettle or microwave oven.

Some extra trivia:
    To compare the standard headlight bulbs and the LED spots:
    Power use Light output Lumens/watt
    Halogen headlight 55W 1,350 24
    LED spot 10W 800 80

Those numbers show how LEDs are more efficient than incandescent sources. Soon we will have high output LEDs for headlights. They do exist now but are still expensive.

3. Sorry Wayne didn't make myself clear . I bought some el cheapo ones & they are 30w each. The can bus on strada will kick them out if there not somewhere near the Duke ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hi guys
    Similar problems with my Denali D4's... the canbus system won't accept them and just comes up with big ERROR on the display .

5. By the by - anyone know how to turn the parking lights on with 2016 mts 1200 ?
    Am in a little dispute with the police who quote they should be on if parked in 50 + mph zone

6. Ahh, so you need the value to calculate what if any, in line resistors to use? I get ya.... :upyeah:

7. 9
    Never seen this enforced but have wondered about it when parking my Mutley up some where at dusk/after dark. No idea mate. Will look in the riders manual .... *update*can't find out obvious

#27 Bandit, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  8. Yes I could put resistors in P but if the ones I bought are higher wattage than Duke then I'm goosed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'm only aware of it having done a streetworks (NRSWA) course for a utility firm a few years back. As I said never seen it enforced but sensible for a small bike on a large road after dUsk. Every other bike I've had has had a parking lights option wonder if it buried somewhere in the dvt Mutleys dash menu ? Can't see owt int manual.

10. I've been through the manual with 'fine tooth comb ' they're mentioned but only when the ignition is turned on prior to dip lights when engine running .
    FINALLY got a response ( 2 week wait ) from Ducati Italy who fobbed me off by just saying-- go to your dealership!!! .
    I suggest we all email them !

I'm off to the police tomorrow and will get clarification.
    Will post their response asap .
    All best guys

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've been through the manual with 'fine tooth comb ' they're mentioned but only when the ignition is turned on prior to dip lights when engine running .
    FINALLY got a response ( 2 week wait ) from Ducati Italy who fobbed me off by just saying-- go to your dealership!!! .
    I suggest we all email them !

I'm off to the police tomorrow and will get clarification.
    Will post their response asap .
    All best guys

12. Think you been through manual twice!!

13. Just revisiting this, and have a couple of questions...

Did anyone get to the bottom of what the electrical spec is? I'm thinking if I attempt to fit non-standard lights it's potentially a lot of work to end up with an error message!

Secondly, is the connector a different one to that use to connect the heated grips? I'm assuming it is. Does anyone know what the connector is? Looks like an Amphenol Superseal.

Thanks!

Nik

14. Any idea where i can get the full kit from?

15. It's a Ducati accessory (Additional LED Lights, Part Number: 96680431B), the UK list price is £358.98. After physical installation, you'll need to get them enabled by a Ducati dealer as they are CAN Bus enabled.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thanks Steve, but they seem to be just the lights. i need the brackets, bolts, harness etc. I dont have crash bars but i know you can get a kit that hangs form the rad mounts.

17. The picture on the Ducati accessory web site just shows just the lamps, but you get the brackets and cable to link the lamps to the loom as part of the kit. The lamps, bracket and cable are available as spare parts if required.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information