1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Axial Vs Radial - Forks And Brakes

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Sev, Aug 2, 2018.

1. So..
    I'm a layman. My riding talent is not godly, and to be frank, the deliveroo rider can probably do me on the inside on his knackered moped.

I'm slowly amassing bits for the 999 build, and I'm slowly drifting into the realms of forkology.

Of course everything is radial now, but there's real bargains to be had with axial forks now.
    So my question really is this..

In the real world, you guys who have ridden both axial and radial, can you tell the difference?

The four pad calipers which were on the axial xx9's were a great set of calipers, and I wonder if the monoblock calipers are any better in reality.

I open the question to the parish for debate.... gentlepersons, if you please..

2. I'm in the middle of swapping out my gsxr forks to radials and brembo gp calipers, if you want a set of forks with 748 calipers let me know.

You won't notice the difference with street riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Other bike has radials, mega brakes. 999s has axials, mega brakes.

Get whatever you like the look of / is available / fits the budget and if it's in tip top condition with fresh fluids, set up for you and with good pads then you'll be fine I'm sure.

I've got standard OE MC, black Hel lines in the standard pattern, EBC HH pads and Putoline 10w fork oil in the standard 999s Ohlins and it's a lovely front end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. @cookster what forks are they? I was looking at the four piston calipers on the bay if I decided to go axial, and when they do come up the axial ohlins are very reasonable as well.

5. Mine are gsxr k2 forks with adapter plates for the 40mm brembos and k3 internals and carbon mud guard.

6. that might do nicely for the gsxr1100 - that needs its current pogosticks replaced!

• Like Like x 1
  7. £300 for the lot and I've got the braided lines for the calipers to.

• Like Like x 2
  8. On the road - You'll barely notice
    On the track - You'll barely notice unless your very fast.

Go with whats available and what suits budget. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Fecking bargain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sweet anything has to be better than the stock fucked forks and tokico six pots to make the hyperbarge feel scary for the right reasons. What yoke diameters are they?

11. I was hoping that was the answer :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Il have to check mate there away being serviced as we speak

13. ahh no worries, I've just had a look and they're 50 / 54 so will slide into 750 yokes without a problem.
    .. now should I stick the 1100 build thread on the forum... I know its not a ducati but it does end in I and I is eyetalian :blush:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Yeah in other bike section.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shall we make the whole forum other bikes and keep a small Ducati section ?? Or shall I just wash my smutty little potty mouth out ?? :p:D:p

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Crack on @Exige put his non ducati build thread up and that's a riveting saga.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  17. PS, my non radial 999 are good IMO. Your welcome to try them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I've been busy working to earn Ducati's - and there's not 1 rivet in sight! Perhaps the odd bit of gaffa tape and glue though :thinkingface: will be progressing soon, if not this year then next when I reduce my working hours :innocent:

19. so in the running currently is cookster's set of forks bargain, and I'm eyeing up a set of axial ohlins as well - again with a view to parking the 4 pad calipers on them if I can find them, but all said and done, cookster's offer is a blinder.

otherwise for the 1100 I was looking at radial offerings from later gsxr's.

20. Suits you Sir :eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information