1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B*****d bike!

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Ghost Rider, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I don't need to go to the woods......if it had got to that point, I would have taken them down to the end of the drive, where Messrs Beretta, Lanber and Webley & Scott would have dealt with them in no uncertain terms......

.......unfortunately those gentlemen deal with problems in the only way they know, so replacements wouldn't be provided.

AL.

2. I think that was the clue!

3. But the float heights couldn't have changed themselves much in three years of relatively low mileage, Sam......the spitting back through the airbox indicated lean mixture........the incorrect float heights would have made it too rich at idle.

If it was lean mixture, it points to manifold rubbers leaking or a partially blocked pilot circuit........OK, maybe the manifold rubber was the guilty party, but I got no evidence of that when I first had the problem and blasted carb and brake cleaner around them......and there was no cr*p to speak of in the carbs.

The synch screw would have had to turned itself at least half a turn to unbalance the carbs enough to cause the problem, but playing around with balance yesterday didn't produce any signs of spitting back.

Today I will hopefully get around to finer adjustments.

AL.

4. I thought the problem arose after you overhauled the carbs and adjusted the float height? Just another thought is the small O ring in place on the top of the carb body but under the carb top?

5. Interesing AL, that exactly the same problem that I had after reassembling my original carbs, my issue was down to having the idle screw too far in, couple of turns out and the idle returned to "near" normal.

6. Al. do you want to borrow a spare set of carbs to eliminate anything ? Carbs, inlet rubbers, anything like that ?

7. I expected the carbs to be out a bit after overhauling them......but when I fired it up this time, the original problem was still there, but the overall way it was running was worse......

No, I didn't forget the O-ring.........

But yes, you appear to be right that having corrected the float heights, the pilot screws needed to be turned out more.......

AL

8. It was a combination of that and the pilot screws it seems.....

AL

9. I might just take you up on that, Dave; if I can't tune it better......

Inlet rubbers might still be a problem, but I will see how it goes today....

Thanks, bud...

AL.

10. If you want send up the carb bodies and I will give them a spa in the sonic cleaner if you want. By blowing them out with compressed air you could just be lodging a piece of crap in a gallery.

11. Had to rewind my tickover screw after it decided to vIbRaTe its way out a little...

May have been a case of the shakes undoing all the carb settings

12. Al,
    Good to hear you have it all together if not running that well :frown:

I have been waiting with baited breath for the next thrilling instalment, of the trials and tribulations of AL and his pesky carbs :upyeah:

And you definitly have more patience and time than i do!

i will try and get over at some point next week all being well.

Have fun :wink:

13. Thanks for the offer, but I really don't think it was cr*p in the carbs......there simply wasn't any real evidence of it.....plenty on the outside, though.

AL

14. With my 'patent trip meter cable conversion', I can now see if the T/O screw moves.......got a nice little dot in the adjuster knob.

AL.

15. Okey-dokey............I should be here, but I have just had a project come in, so I don't know if that will require my attention on site....I hope not....South Coast (UK, unfortunately).

PS I have just made another nipple thing for the balance gauge.......the first one didn't like the heat too much and I thought it might leak a bit......this new one won't.....

AL

16. HOO-EFF-ING-RAY!!!!

It runs and it's OK apart from a bit of fluffy-ness just off idle.......makes me think it might stall (but it doesn't) so maybe the tickover wants to come up a bit.....

....runs better than it did before the problem started (I think.....)

Now do I tempt fate and stick the fairing on?...............or should I stick the half fairing on?.......or maybe stick my tax disc on which has been waiting since April.......???

AL.

#76 Ghost Rider, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Yay!!! :smile:

Score 1000 extra points for perseverance!

18. I was a bit frightened to give you a like in case you got another oligy.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  19. I reckon I deserve another one...............

Right.......Theory on what the origonal cause of the poor running was.....(If anyone is interested).........

The rubber bungs that fit in the pilot screw housing have got drain slots in them..........

Neither of the plugs were fitting that well and weren't fully home.........

On the carb that was spitting back, I found that the pilot screw was bl**dy tight owing to 'corrosion' in the carb body thread........

Whether that was actual corrosion or petrol residue, it had obviously been getting wet from something...........

The pilot screw spring was well corroded and compressed (about two thirds of what it's length should be)......

The pilot screw washer and O-ring were loose and fell out when I dragged the spring out........The washer and O-ring in the other carb had to be hooked out....

I reckon that during previous ownership, the pilot screw had been turned out more, but the compressed spring didn't extend and maintain contact with the screw.

I guess the spring eventually dropped down onto the screw, leaving the washer and O-ring stuck in the body with no spring pressure behind it and just a bit of corrosion holding it in place.........

It also eventually dropped away from the seat allowing air to be drawn up the bung drain slot and past the O-ring upsetting the idle mixture on that carb.

There......do I get a degree in carb forensics?

AL.

20. Well done AL, i knew you would get there in the end :upyeah:

Go for the half faring just for a change ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information