1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 B S T Carbon Swingarm - Fitting

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Robarano, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Bloody Hell bare floorboards here.:)

2. Looks lovely mate.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! Nice job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Beautiful work mte, I’m surprised you haven’t had a phone call with a job offer from a WSB team.. You did the job with such speed n ease..

I bet that CF swing arm is a heck of a lot lighter than the original?
    X

5. Pretty af!

6. 2BA8D0C8-2640-4877-9159-BCFEE02903F1.jpeg As a comparison:
    From the 1299 Superleggera

7. Nice work :upyeah:.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Nice work that.
    I bet that things an absolute bomb to ride.

9. Yeah, it's stupidly quick. :) :upyeah:

The guy I bought it off used it exclusively as his track bike with no expense spared. I bought it and put it back on the road, adding a few items. The throttle is literally like a bomb. :bomb:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Beautiful piece of engineering!

This got me thinking.

So does this all count as unsprung weight or not?

Given the massive weight reduction for this - plus the already super light wheels - what tweaks to the rear shock setup will be needed?

Is there a point where you lighten a bike so much you have to drop the spring rate to suit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes and yes - but he's quite a fatty :worried: not much boinging going on here :bucktooth:

12. Yet not as fat as you. :bucktooth:

13. The bike is rock hard anyway, being set up for the track by the previous owner.

TBH, I just jump on it and ride the thing. I'm not a mentalist on the road and just fancied one of these swing arms because I'm shallow like that. :laughing:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. :eek:

15. So aside from everyone being fat (there’s and theme here :D) if one was to wish to take this to the track.....

A reduction in rider weight means a reduction in spring rate.

Rider weight is sprung weight - and usually the likes of Ohlins give a recommended spring rate based on the stock weight of the bike plus the weight of the rider.

So in my logic if you reduce the sprung weight of the bike then it’s going to require a reduction in spring rate as if rider weight had been reduced.

For unsprung weight, the logic isn’t so clear for me - the spring isn’t supporting that weight - so would a massive reduction in it require any reduction in spring rate?

I can see it requiring adjustment to rebound and compression- but i’m less clear on the spring.

16. See HiRich's post here...
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=591832

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. ive heard those swingarms are not fit for a porpoise ... give you 4 bog rolls and exige for it.....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I own you dude, not the other way round :scream:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information