1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back After Accident

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Does that include free fitting? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Could do. If I can stand up.....

• Love You Love You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Popped in to see @PerryL and happy to report 4 limbs, two hands and decent spirits :upyeah:

And the accommodation and food plan is top notch, felt like pulling a bed up myself ;)

He may be there a while still. And visitors are very welcome :)

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Good man bradders. Glad to hear he’s in fine fettle (relatively speaking)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for visit and bike mag,MCN, and card. This place is NHS at its best. Trouble is that you don't wanna go home!

Still have two Ducatis left!

• Like Like x 5
  6. I was kicked out but they wouldn't allow me home. I was sent to a council run halfway house. There are two distinct groups here: guys in wheelchairs waiting for a new false leg or senile old people who cannot stay awake during the day.

Any advice from those that know (or just want to take the piss) appreciated.

I'm getting the feeling here that the intention is to never let me go. Next stop is social housing. Although I own my own house (which my hospital physio didn't like), it seems to be pretty much ignored when I am questioned about my circumstances (like they think that I am bullshitting).

I've got somebody coming to see me next week from an outfit called 'Green Square Group'. I thought that this was to help me with any government benefits that I could claim whist out of action. It turns out that this group specialize in social housing. This makes me all the more suspicious. Why the fuck is a social housing provider interested in me? Is it because I own a property that they try and get me to give to them, in exchange for a flat in a social housing complex?

My elder brother has been handling the insurance claim (which should be 5 figures - but I am not happy with the low 5 figure amount being touted) and my terrible financial situation, and I know that he will be well pissed off if I share this with him.

My feeling is that I say 'enough is enough' and go home - thereby leaving 'the system'

Thoughts?

Oh shit! just remembered that my brother has my ST3 in his garage!!!

7. Is there any chance you can stay with your brother? Even a cabin in the garden or something until it’s sorted?

8. That was my hope initially. He has stairs that I need to practice on (this place doesn't) and I offered to help with garden and cleaning house as I'm not expecting a free ride. It's a pretty flat area where I could practice walking.

He never said 'No' but never said 'Yes'. To be fair, I doubt that he realized that this was the social housing express.

9. My brother, who is much more council knowledgeable than me, reckons that I don't know what I am talking about. Still confused as to why this guy is so keen to see me.

10. Missed this thread - hope you get over the next hurdle soon :):upyeah:and good luck with your long term recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Could be they also do house adjustment to enable people who become less able can live back in their own home.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. You would contact the council and they would book you in for an assessment by the occupational therapist to qualify for a free aid package

Perry, what has your brother said about this social housing group geting involved? If you feel unsure, confused whilst in that recouperation place, look up the nhs/council options for the advocacy service

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/socia...rities/someone-to-speak-up-for-you-advocate/#

13. This must have come as a shock, i'm guessing that you can only be released to the care of a responsible adult due to your current health? Has anyone made an assessment as to how long before you can take care of yourself?

14. I don't know how bad you are now, although I'm assuming still pretty bad from your description of what originally happened, but if it were me, I'd be pushing to get back into my own home again - familiar area and surroundings etc., all help with the psychology/mental state which is a big part of recuperation. Presumably you have daily physio sessions to keep you moving and to regain full movement again? Think about Sir Douglas Bader, crashed his plane messing about doing aerobatics, lost both his legs, they gave him some wooden ones, and still he got back into a plane when the war came to "stick it up 'em". He didn't let them shove him off to social housing.

15. Has your own place been visited by an OT for what aids you may need for access, sleeping, mobility and living on your own?

Care packages are meant to be put in place for hospital discharge, living independently, physio and patient transport for hosp visits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. When I injured both my shoulders I couldn’t do anything for myself even going to the loo
    My partner at the time had to do EVERYTHING for me
    Shower/toilet/hair/dress me etc for 6 weeks!!

It seems the group that’s coming to see you may be able to help with a temporary house all geared up to help you till you can use your arms

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The guy from Green Square is coming tomorrow. My brother has already spoken to him. Apparently, housing is out of his remit and it is just to go through what benefits that I can claim. When I collected my last prescription I was told to say that I was getting 'Contributions-based ESA'. I'm not but I think that I should be. This is something that I want to clear up...

• Like Like x 2
  18. I don't dream but just pass out. I dream in the morning and this morning my dream was that I did get killed in the accident. But if true, that makes you all dead too. The brain injury was put to one side whilst they fought to keep me going but maybe I need to get some support now. I did have a serious brain injury from a horse riding accident about 11 years ago. I recovered well but was warned not to have another head injury. Unfortunately, I never managed to follow that advice! So, either we are all dead, or I have another flipping brain injury!!!

• Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. I feel that maybe that's why the support services are kicking in Perry more than "they are all out to get you". If you're still in hospital and still a bit unsure, ask one of the nurses or staff nurses if the hospital has an advocacy service and explain if they have the time, could they pop down for a chat.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information