1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back After Accident

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jun 20, 2019.

1. All very positive. I've got a good physio who has me practicing stairs. She's got me to walk about 4 metres without a stick quite a few times. Got a home visit on Wednesday to see what mods I need on house. I want as few as possible because I want to get out of this old people 's home!

• Like Like x 3
  2. upload_2019-8-18_21-11-53.png
    hip scare

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Well thats good news that you are making good progress. Twenty metres is almost as far as the petrol pump to the cashier, so it won't be long until you could ride and fill up your bike! Whats the prognosis for the next few months? I guess its going to be a while until you are fully mobile?

Its none of my business, but getting the right work done on you home now might be a real help to you down the line. Easy for me to say - I know I would also be itching to get home too but think it over.

• Like Like x 2
  4. By the way - living to a ripe old age is not all it's cracked up to be!

Most of the old fogeys here don't know what day of the week it is. They need their meals cooked for them and are put to bed at 6:30. One walks around calling, 'Hello?, Hello?' because he doesn't remember where his room is. Another sits in her wheelchair all day not saying a word. If she finds her way to 'The Forum' then she will sit in her wheelchair with her back to the TV. Another sits in front of the TV 12 hours per day watching some war channel.

If this is all that there is to look forward to then you can stick it and being killed in my accident wouldn't have been a tragedy. It is bizarre here when all of the staff call me 'young man'! I'm in my fifties, but because I can look after myself and don't piss myself regularly, plus I don't sit in front of the TV all day staring at it with my mouth open in shock, the staff all think that I'm 'young man'!!!!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The family thing is a tough one Perry & one that only you can really answer. I had to have that conversation with the mrs after my off but it was never really a real conversation. I’m sure she’d rather I didn’t ride anymore but I’d be miserable about it & she knows it. Life really is too short to not be doing the things we love doing when/if we are able & I have her blessing if not her absolute happiness about it but I guess it’s not the same for everyone. Sorry, not much help there really!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shit man. Been there and it's difficult. When I was a lad, 16 on a moped and then 17 on my first 'proper' bike I was the subject of two "Think Bike' incidents:(. Now I'm older and as I look back I know they could have been avoided had I had more experience/training, but that's another issue. In both cases my mum was adamant, each time I wasn't going to get another bike. I was young and rude then, so each time the insurance paid out I did without any consideration for other's feelings :confused:

Moving on 40 years and after a lay off for a few years I decided to get the bikes out again. SWMBO was aghast:scream:. The big guilt trip got laid on me 'I'm not happy with this:worried:'. We had a chat, I explained I was into bikes and riding when we met and all through our earlier life (before kids and family and shite intervened) I was out (occasionally:confused:), it's unfair to prevent me from living my life and from doing something I've always done. Thankfully, coz she's reasonable, she relented, but I'm still mindful of it and take care when I'm out.

Earlier this year I went to visit my family in the UK and decided, because I wanted too, to take the bike. I didn't tell my Mum, thought I'd just turn up and it would be too late then; I knew she'd go nuts, but she found out. She called me and offered to pay for my airfare and car hire:eek:.

Now I'm in a dilemma, I've had this conversation in the past with SWMBO and ended up still riding. I couldn't back down now just because my Mum has asked me not to. That just shows I have more respect for my Mum than SWMBO - not good for future marital relations.:(.

It took me 2 days to pluck up the courage to call my Mum and tell her, much as I respect her views and I thank her for the offer, it's something I really want to do and it's my life. It's a part of my life as much as anything else is and shouldn't be cut out. It was a tough conversation.

The long and the short of it, IMO, is that it's your life, it's part of your life, it's what makes you happy. Yes, you're mindful of the consequences in the event something bad happens (and heaven knows, you are more than most perhaps) but it's part of your life, it's what defines you and it's wrong for people to put pressure on you to not do things you enjoy. There has to be some understanding from your family that this is important to you and what makes you happy (amongst other things) and if they love you, whilst they may not be happy with it they ought to let you do it. Just as you'd let them do things you may not agree with or be happy about.

I hope you can sort it all out amicably and to everyone's satisfaction.

EDIT : apologies for the length of the post and no eye-candy:(

• Like Like x 7
  7. That's the problem! I've been riding over 40 years and f***ing love it!

I know that i'd be miserable if I gave it up. So, the question is: how miserable do you want to be?

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Yeah - sort yourself out!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. :( Sorreeee!
    7d537233-7761-43ec-8d79-0aae9a8b0d93.jpg

ps I had to google 'naked women' to get that.
    Now I'm in big trouble:confused:. My laptop will for ever be plagued with "Asian Babes Want You" and "free sex in your town , just click here":scream:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. LOL. Still maybe your laptop will be telling the truth (OK doubtful but...) and you will be forever tired but smiling!

• Agree Agree x 1

11. Tough for blokes but tougher for women - - to enjoy and take part we really need partners with bikes - in my experience not even possible without this unless your very very lucky , most blokes wouldn’t put up with their partner scooting off with a gang of leather clad hooligans every Sunday ;p

Limits the field somewhat but I’ve been lucky .

Horses you’d maybe get away with ...Just need them to have deeper pockets :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Your health is important, a big part of that is your mental health, tell them how much you rely on your riding to help you through all the shit, and without it you would go postal on their arses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It’s weird that. I agree, in most people’s perceptions horses would be fine but bikes aren’t. They’re both equally as ‘dangerous’; I’d even go so far as to say horses are more dangerous, after all the horse has a mind if it’s own, the bike doesn’t.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. My wife has a horse and knows many ladies (almost always ladies) with horses. They are much more dangerous than bikes. I seem to remember reading that an accident on a horse is something like 10 x more likely than on a bike based on hours ridden as opposed to number of users. I`m sure there will be research quoting the exact opposite somewhere . There are 7 ladies on the livery yard my wife uses and 3 have come off in the last 12 months . Luckily none were badly hurt but serious injuries are not uncommon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. I feel your pain Perry, apart from bikes skiing has always been my thing (wasn't allowed a bike when younger so spent the money saves for a bike on skis...)
    Anyway, after slipping a disc (doing nothing other than stacking logs) I ended up with squashed nerves and about 12 - 18 month worth of limited mobility and pain which was shit for both me and family. Now I'm almost back to normal my wife thinks that strapping on a pair of skis will put me right back where I was last year (I obviously disagree) but what to do.
    I'm sure I'll be having more discussions when the snow starts to fall but a difficult place to be.
    At least I can ride the bike again (even managed a pushbike last week...)
    Good luck with recovery, 20 metres with a stick sucks but it will improve :upyeah:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Exactly 13 years ago today, I fell off a horse and had 6 months in BIRU with a brain injury. That was the place that treated Richard Hammond after his speed record crash. So my injury record is not great! I think that is why my family is getting a bit pissed off with me. Oh and l did visit Salisbury Hospital in January after crashing right outside it. That one was my fault. I did a massive stoppy after car in front stopped because of traffic and I was planning right turn for petrol station!

17. Just tell them you are thinking of taking up base jumping as an alternative.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Personally, I'd ignore them.

19. Thanks for all the comments (but not the 'eye candy'!).

I have a solution, I think. I will avoid the argument by sorting out my other bikes. The ST2 is in my garage at home and I was in the middle of a valve check. I finish that and say it needs road testing. That means taxing and insuring it. After road test, I need to get my ST3 back from Salisbury - it just needs new nearside mirror and battery, possibly. Another excuse as it can't stay at my brother's for ever and can't be sold there. That's two bikes back on the road and Austria here I come!!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Thanks for all the comments (but not the 'eye candy'!).

I have a solution, I think. I will avoid the argument by sorting out my other bikes. The ST2 is in my garage at home and I was in the middle of a valve check. I finish that and say it needs road testing. That means taxing and insuring it. After road test, I need to get my ST3 back from Salisbury - it just needs new nearside mirror and battery, possibly. Another excuse as it can't stay at my brother's forever and can't be sold there. That's two bikes back on the road and Austria here I come!!!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information