1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Accident Sam1199s In Calafat,spain

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Monners, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Funding page sounds fab, hopefully better news ahead whatever the outcome.

2. Got a mate who's recently been paralysed in a skydiving accident, he's in a wheelchair but has adapted to it very well, he's been skiing and done all manner of activities since the accident, there's lots of support and groups / activities out there, wish him well

• Like Like x 2
  3. Not the news we were hoping for but medical breakthroughs are happening all the time.
    Let's hope his spinal cord can be encouraged to regenerate and he can get back on his feet.

#143 Old rider, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. Fingers and toes crossed for a full recovery, as there by the grace of god* do we all go.

*other imaginary friends are available.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry I haven't been on here in ages - had quite a lot to get used to being back home. Still keeping a positive outlook on things in the hope that my condition will improve with time, and throwing everything I can at my recovery currently. I won't be able to return to work for a few months yet but they've been very understanding about it all and are giving me the time I need to focus on recovery. I got a new wheelchair last week which does excellent wheelies and keeps me occupied! Sure makes things easier having a properly fitted lightweight chair.

The sheer cost of things like Physio equipment, the wheelchair, converting the car etc is astronomical! Have been selling everything I can to get money together and borrowing off family while I've no income, and a mortgage to pay. It's been a bit of a pain to say the least but thankfully I've had help from family, and also Dave (Royal) with the bike side of things.

I've been keeping close to a story locally where a girl who was paralysed from the neck down a year ago has gone to Poland to undergo stem cell treatment on her spinal cord. It's the latest breakthrough in this field and showing very positive results, and would be something in the future I'd consider strongly if nothing changes. The mad thing is my spine and cord look perfect in the latest MRI scans - no signs of severing, but the damage was done due to pressure and the stretch on it from the dislocation. Still, the doctors (quoting stats) tell me I've a 2% chance of walking again. It's not over til it's over though - still plenty of fight in me yet!

Sam

• Like Like x 22
    • Love You Love You x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Good lad !

Keep us in the loop Sam, I'm glad you're staying possitive, your mind is your own worse enemy sometimes.

Stay strong chap!

7. Hi Sam, I've a mate who has similar trauma from a skydiving accident, gone through the adapting the house, car etc and recently been skiing with access adventures, have a look at their site, stay strong and keep positive

http://www.accessadventures.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've had a fund raising thought. I'm sure we all of loads of bike bits kicking about the garage, shed, loft, etc. We could donate these to a big pot and someone (not volunteering, i'm more an ideas man) could take to a bike jumble, eBay, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  9. I along with many have never met you Sam. We all know that there are unforseen risks in our hobbies , jobs and even day to day life. But still we carry on with life in whatever form we can. Because we have to, so I wish you and your family every hope for the future, and that the money obstacles fade as time goes on. Family and friends will overcome the bad days, and here's wishing you every hope that things improve even in very small chunks.
    Roy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1

10. Good to hear you checking in here....hard reading above, but like you say you are not giving up ! I commend your family / friends to help you out. ( trauma from a serious accident can haunt you but keep the head up ). I dont know you but like everyone here really wishing you all the very best. The stem cell research is the way forward, after seeing docs on tv re what they can potentially achieve so far is staggering.

Do keep us posted, and stick with it. You sound like you have the gusto to do so anyway !!

if there is a crowd funding page set up, do let us know.

wishing you well mate.

11. It's hard keeping positive at times but I'm certain this gets you through
    Stem cells are marvellous things and there is so much going on behind the scenes to progress.

I'm hoping that your spine and everything else involved takes the time to recover itself and that you start getting some progress towards walking again
    ;) I hope that chair is red :)

Thinking and praying with all the positivity I can muster that your recovery is great

• Like Like x 3
  12. 2% is still more than 0% I'm really glad you're keeping such a positive outlook, because that's what's going to help you in the end, more than anything else. God Bless and God Speed! Praying for your full recovery.

• Like Like x 4
  13. How you doing Sam

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sam, you certianly trod in a pile of life's dog shit and no one would or could blame you for any down moments but it seems you are surrounded by positive people more than likely due to your own positivity, so fair play.

Any news on the go fund me page yet? I don't know if you'd seen it but this particularly Talen Skeels-Piggins story
    http://www.bmsad.co.uk/introduction-1/competitors---motor-bikes

15. I dont know you Sam, but I really hope you remain positive and eventually make a good recovery, but things take time. If its of any help to you, I met a woman on Thursday who was involved in a very bad accident with a lorry, she was in hospital for over 12 months with a broken spine near her neck, so paralysed from the neck down. Like you her spinal cord was not severed but obviously damaged, anyway slowly but surely she got her mobility back, started with toes etc.... She now walks unaided. Very best of luck mate

#155 duc996bp, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  16. Hey all,

Again, thanks for the kind comments, and stories of other who have recovered from similar spinal injuries. I like hearing these, and in fact having joined a couple of closed groups on FacialBook it's pretty clear that many others, who have suffered a pinched spinal cord like me, have gone on to walk again perhaps a year or so down the line. So far there's not been any changes to my condition, but it's still only been 6 months since injury.

I'm hoping this week to start selling the road stuff from the R to get some money in. Still off work and suffering with bad back pain after any length of time sat upright, which is my main bugbear at the moment. Dave (Royal) and I are planning to get the suggested fundraising account opened up, hopefully this week with a bit of luck, which will go a long way to help whilst I'm still off. With all the Physio I'm doing - Gym, out for long pushes in the wheelchair, electrotherapy, stretching etc - I've no idea how I'll fit work back in and still be able to focus on all the these vitally important things I'm currently doing!

The main thing is I'm still very positive about my new change of life, and in the back of my head a little voice is telling me I'll make a recovery. I'm still a great believer in mind over matter when it comes to recovery.

Sam

• Like Like x 35
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Have you looked into P.i.P. (the old disability allowance) and motobility which might be able to provide an adaptive vehicle? I'm sure there are grants available too for home conversions? this might be a place to start if you haven't already, carers allowance etc

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled

• Like Like x 1
  18. Also on a positive note; @Sam1199S has guns like Garth after all the training :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Cheers - yeah I've got PIP all sorted. There was a government advisor who visited rehab to get us all set up with that side of things. I had my own car converted about a week after leaving rehab so I'm mobile, and I thought gives a huge sense of freedom and satisfaction being able to get out and about

• Like Like x 9
Do Not Sell My Personal Information