1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bar - Stewards, Speeding.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Broduc64, Nov 21, 2018.

1. I did a speed awareness course, it was absloutely terrifying. Not because the instructor was some sort of axe wielding phyco but the absolute lack of knowledge or understanding of the highway code some people had. Some of these fuckers should have had their licences taken from them before they left the room.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Different but slightly similar... when doing my MBA 20 years ago - there was a high ranking civil servant doing the MBA also ... In one class - finance... she did not know how to do 10% of a number in her head and needed a calculator... should have been in Junior School not Uni doing an MBA.... made me realise how thick MANY people are... Brexit shows us that too...

3. I would argue that speed limits are not signed clearly enough. On both the A38 and A40 near me, the limits go from 30,40,50, and 60 every few miles. If you know the roads or have satnav to tell you the limit, then fine. Signage wise, I think it is poor. You cannot assume that because you are out in the country then it is 60. It could be 50 or 40. Street lighting is random and no indication. Nobody has any interest in having more repeaters. My impression is that the government want you to speed so that there is good income from fines. I find it a right pain on the bike because many people just do 50 everywhere. I overtake lots of cars in the 60 and get these prats right up my arse in the 40s. I tend to obey the 40s, because that is where the traps are and people live. The 50s will cause me to slow down but I will be exceeding the limit by a good bit and the 60s are ignored.

4. Ok so after just watching police interceptors on tv.
    How come they always show the faces of people that have been done for motoring offences ?yet blank out the faces of the scum that have carried out proper crimes that impact on peoples lives.
    Yet again the criminals have more rights than the motorist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Speed awareness isn’t a waste of time, and has actually stopped me doing 35/45 in 30/40 limits after the Tiff video. What people takeaway is down to their outlook, and although speed doesn’t equal an accident, it will always make it more likely. We take a choice on that...

Asking for evidence (photo) isn’t admitting guilt. We have done it before when we genuinely couldn’t remember a trip... and the photo proved it wasn’t us.

Get legal advice and don’t believe anything you read on the internet about what is likely to happen at any speed. Mine was 108mph average, and I got 6 points and a £1,200 fine.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I did one of these courses a few years ago and the pair running it had a good cop/bad cop approach.
    At one point, bad cop relayed a story presumably intended to demonstrate the futility of speeding.
    He told us how he had recently driven home from Dover to Devon and religiously obeyed every single speed limit.
    This apparently resulted in his arriving home only 20 minutes later than normal.
    I piped up: "You'd normally be speeding then??"
    He didn't reply.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. they dont want you to see the photo, because you wont be able to see your face properly and you will say 'sorry, thats not me, find someone else'
    Without seeing evidence you just pay/collect points.

8. welcome to all it needs to see is a registration number....that you are the keeper of, that you then have to legally say who was driving riding it at that point in time.... but dont let the facts get in the way of a moan..

• Like Like x 1
  9. you dont say?
    you have to declare who was driving. IF YOU KNOW. if its not you driving, its sometimes impossible to know who was. There are voids and loopholes in the law.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. whatever smoke and mirrors you want to use....its still down to you saying who was driving...if you dont then theres a different fine...

11. 'my friend' didnt pay anything we, I mean he and his wife were sharing driving when the offence occurred. All they needed was the photographic evidence to confirm which person was driving.
    It could not be obtained for love, money, or a thousand letters. Even when it was pointed out it was a criminal offence to claim the wrong person was driving. So it was a bit a rock and a hard place.
    Long story short, proceedings didnt proceed, and the case was shredded. If you call that smoke and mirrors, its your call. Its not all black and white, and no one knows everything.
    Police are but pawns for the cps.

12. Should being the operative word there. If I were on a trip with the missus and we shared the driving, we’d likely need photographic evidence to show who was driving because we wouldn’t be paying too much attention to who drove what stretch.

Doesn’t matter who the registered keeper is, if you don’t know who was driving then you don’t know.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. What idiot doesn't know who was riding his bike on a certain day? Does he hire it out and doesn't keep records?

Same with cars IMO.

A bad way to avoid prosecution IMO.

Best way is procedure and legality of the limit.

14. so, It is up to the Court to decide what amounts to reasonable diligence based on the circumstances of each individual case, however, if its doubtful a case will be successful for the cps, they wont pursue it. Its a business after all.
    You can only declare who the driver was, if you know 100%, if not, you are breaking the law. Like when my friend did 185 on a panigale.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bikes are different. road trip with the mrs, 14 days for ticket to arrive. Its a good chance you wouldnt have a clue either!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Any updates on this OP?

17. Maybe the actual perpetrator saw the van and did something sneaky like turn down a side road, which wouldn't qualify for perverting the course of justice but would be annoying enough to want to try and nail him.

18. I was working in Liverpool at the same time someone sped through a camera in grays (Essex) on my bike, well actually they had seen my 848 for sale and had copied the plate and stuck it on whatever, I had to post pictures of my unibat 848 very striking liVery to Essex police and the accusations were swiftly dropped, my fault not covering the number plate

As for 107 in a 60 I’d just be lowering my britches and recieve the golden nugget but the fella knows this and don’t need shit, it does hit home how fooking pointless a quick bike is on uk roads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information