1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Base Vs S

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by flatstick959, Jun 27, 2019.

1. £5k’s a fair chunk of cash between V4S and V4.
    If you can dig out the PB issue that ran the comparison between the two, have a read.
    From memory, the V4S was no quicker but Ktech stated the Ohlins components were of superior quality and would last longer. I think the electronics package is superior on the V4S too.
    Worth £5k more? Dunno. I went for the V4S and it’s immense. I can confirm that! :):upyeah:

2. Yeah the front was maybe a kilo lighter but the rear was 3 or 4 it was crazy

I doubt the v4 has the same problem to be honest as the SSSA wheels are really light to start with

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I’ll try and find it thanks

I wouldn’t knock anyone for buying either model really. I’m sure the S is superior but it’s bang for buck - I could buy a trials bike or winter hack for that 5k and a set of wheels!

I think the electronics the the same on both regarding TC and slide control etc but the electronic suspension is semi active so adjusts the brake support going into corners etc

4. Ducati website only lists a 1kg difference between the two as far as I recall, which isn’t much for the wheels when you add the lithium battery to the equation. Maybe the Öhlins is heavier with whatever servos it needs internally though

5. Yeah the suspension adds the weight back on

I thought the weight difference was listed as 3kg

The battery is prob 2kg lighter and the wheels another 3kg so the ohlins must be pretty heavy

6. I think people are trying to decide on the details that dont really matter so much. If you are riding on the road then the S is 100% the right choice if you can afford the extra money. The S is also imo much better for track unless you are going to swap the base model suspension for better components and you are happy to adjust and setup the bike yourself. The electronic suspension has always been a much more enjoyable experience on the road but now it is also just as strong an improvement for the average rider on track due to sorting the dampening on the fly. Its only really top level club racers who dont need the automatic adjustment and would want to change it for expensive traditional suspension to get better control that wouldn't benefit. The only issue I am seeing with it on the Panigale is the initial rear spring setup causes a bit of trouble to get right but thats even more work with traditional suspension anyhow.

Lightweight wheels always feel amazing. 1kg off the wheels is the same as 3kg off the bikes sprung weight if i remember right but the difference to turn in at speed feels massive.

#26 Monners, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I bought the base after test riding both, reason being I had the electronic suspension on my s1000rr and once the suspension was set up the way I wanted I never touched it again, ever, didn’t see the need to spend an extra 5 grand on the same bike for suspension that once set will never be changed

• Like Like x 1
  8. Think I’m going to put a deposit down tomorrow... think I’m going to go for the S after all! I know there’s no real difference but sod it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. As much as I love my S1000RR it is a bit bland, so for me having the S was all about some extra shiny bits and pieces on top of an already special bike. And in my mind the bike will be more desirable and retain some of that extra cost when I sell it.
    Me being a tart means that if I bought a V4 and parked next to a V4S I'd be a bit gutted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lol, I don’t do gutted, I am more than happy with the base, it’s the same bike with different suspension, 5 grand saving and a wee bit less to go wrong

• Like Like x 2
  11. I always say buy what you want, you know what you really want but just want someone else to confirm your doing the right thing.buy it and ride it, your a long time dead

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeah I get that completely mate.
    For me financing the bike it's not as if I've 'spent' the extra £5k though really.

Gutted is probably the wrong word, envious is probably better.

13. Base. It’s quicker on track anyway

14. By 2 thousandths of a second :laughing: Not convincingly so....
    Anyhow, it’ll be interesting when Rutter gets hold of the new S1000RR, like @carson - the spawny twat :p It’s sure to be quicker but by how much :astonished:

• Like Like x 1
  15. For the money though ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. A friend recently bought a V4 and he said the front Showa forks are nice and smooth but the rear shock is way to hard and for him on our bumpy country roads it had him out of the seat more than he was in it. In his opinion he said it was virtually unrideable. I don’t know how others find it, maybe depends on your weight.
    He is getting a custom Maxton shock made as he was that unhappy with the Sachs one.

17. It is stiff in the rear, rides a bit high as well, I have made mine more compliant and got it riding more on the spring, sorts it right out.
    Ye do have to have a bit of weight about ye tho, but as I am a wee fat cnut it’s all good

Daz

18. Oops - Bought a gsxr1000r instead pick it up Monday

19. Ha ha, fair play....

Great bike for the dough by all accounts :):upyeah:

20. 3yr 0% and discounted £2000 off list for a 2018 model

Got good part ex for mine and it’s buttons to pay each month compared to panigale.

Would have went for the v4 but the gixer allows me to buy more toys for the same £££

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information