1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by PerryL, Feb 23, 2020.

1. I have experienced similar. The Optimates are great to keep it up there but don’t seem so good when the battery is knackered.

2. That's the difference, is a battery that has gone flat knackered? If I remember correctly, I left my ignition switched on and possibly side lights in the garage, don't know how long it was left like that but when I returned the battery was obviously flat, my cheap trickle charger revived it when the optimate wouldn't. Years later it's still on the bike, the battery is now in its tenth year so its done me well.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Yes, flat, not knackered.

4. I don't have the charger on at night in case I don't hear smoke alarms. I am a very deep sleeper and cannot move very quickly. I do feel the battery to see how hot it is getting and I will do that more when I get the new charger.

5. So, I bought a Noco genius smart charger. It appears to be useless. I emailed customer support but they are yet to reply. When I connect it to my battery, it goes to 12v for a minute and then all of the lights start flashing - telling me nothing. It looks as though I've wasted my money. But some of you have used them successfully?
    upload_2020-3-11_14-8-9.png
    The battery is still in my ST2. Should I take it out?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. You shouldn't need to take the battery out, do you know the battery is still ok - above approx. 12.6 V?

7. No, the battery is f....ked! I bought the device to try and recover it. It looks as though I should of just bought a new battery - which would of been cheaper!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Is it simply telling you the battery is fucked ?

9. Send the charger back as faulty :D

10. No. I am more inclined to believe that the device is useless. When I connect it, he 12v light comes on for about 5 secs and then I get all the lights flashing, as in the pic.

I think that I should of just bought a new battery. That would of been cheaper and would of worked!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Or an old school dumb charger, too clever these intelligent ones :(

12. Did you disconnect the battery from the bike before connecting it?

13. Battery still in bike connected, the only drain on a ST2 would be the clock

14. FFS..... we told you this ages ago....
    [​IMG]
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING as recovery*....

*in the sense you mean.

Just use your Halfords card and get a new one, then move on.

#54 AirCon, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Not sure which version you have, but that one doesn't seem to have the repair mode, or it might be a knock/off, or older version. The one I have has a dedicated repair mode. Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 16.03.15.png

16. Just checked. Whoever sold it to you, sold you a version 1 product, not version 2, so not sure if it has the repair function, and definitely does't have the Lithium battery support.

Also - I took the battery out originally, but now keep it topped up with it in the bike.

My 888 is "analog", so when the key is off, there is zero drain on the battery, not even a clock.

#56 Bridgland, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  17. Yes you are right. It is not version 2 but their barcode that they tell you to scan on the user guide takes you to the version 2 manual! What a load of ....

Thanks for everyone's help.

I will just go back to my tried and tested method. I will buy a new battery and get another Optimate. Mine is in Salisbury because I took it down to my brother's house to try to recover my ST3 battery.

No rush as I can't ride.

I will contact my solicitor about this because the only reason that the batteries are f....ed is because the bikes were abandoned for months. I think that the cost of replacement batteries should go on my claim!

The plus side of this torture is that I can make an insurance company bleed! Makes a change from the other way round!

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  18. I have a Halfords one on my 999, the first battery lasted 11 years, now 15 years old and still working a treat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I've had a lot of good help from NOCO but the eBay seller is silent ,ukb4c-car-accessories is useless-I would recommend staying away from them, as they are c***s!

Apparently, although I have the mark one product it should still do the business - but only if there is at least 7 volts there to start with. Mine has got about 6. All is not lost as I can still use it like an Optimate if I get a new battery - or if I can get above 7 volts then the device should try to recover the battery.

20. Do you have another battery to jump start the one at 6V? Outside of course o_O

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information