1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Battery Discharging After 3 Days In Garage

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Jackstraw, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I'm not sure about the wiring specifically, but there are a couple of other accessory outputs in the form of cigarette-lighter (but not - the other type whose name I cant remember) plug sockets - one is under the seat and the other is on the dash. They might be fouling up somehow and may be connected to the same fuse.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Thanks Tobers.

You could be onto something there!

The sat nav, plugged into the sat nav socket is 'cold' when the bike is in key-off status so has no power flowing to it when the bike is turned off
    BUT

- if the powlet sockets are connected to the accessory fuse
    - and if powlet plug sockets stay 'live' when the bike is in 'key-off' status,
    - and one of these is goosed

then that would explain how the battery is draining when the bike is turned off and yet stops draining when the accessory fuse is removed

I'll wager when I get home and check the powlet plugs are hard wired and I'll need to cut the wires if I want to test to see if they are the cause by disconnecting them and seeing if the fault disappears

Another evening in the garage

Cheers
    Jack

3. Surely there's a better way than cutting the wires...
    Is the fuse live with ignition off?
    Can you measure the flow across it with ignition on and off? Can you check the accessory plugs to earth on and off?
    Could you have something fitted you don't know about. Tracker?

4. No need to cut wires. Better just to try unplugging/disconnecting the accessory sockets one at a time and see if the fault disappears. Try the ones under the pillion seat first, as they are more accessible.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thanks O.R. AND Pete
    I intend to check whether the fuse stays live after the ignition is off later. But given that the battery leaches power with the fuse in and doesn't when the fuse is removed I'm guessing it is constantly on.
    Cutting anything would be an absolute last resort - sorry I used the expression flippantly, I am sure there is plenty of non-destructive testing to be done first. If the accessory sockets can be easily disconnected that would be a great starting point assuming that they are in the same circuit as the accessory fuse.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh bugger!
    With bike in key-off mode:
    Battery leaches power (almost flat in 3 days) when Accessory fuse is in but loses no power when Accessory fuse is out

But on testing it Accessory fuse is live only when bike is in key-on state. When bike is in key-off mode fuse is not live

So my logic is that it is something between battery and fuse.

Can anyone tell me whether there is a relay for the Accessory circuit, and if so where it is located

Many thanks

7. Did they fit a battery charger tail cable direct to the battery? Mine came with an Ultimate cable wired straight in. Any other stuff connected direct to the battery?

Not sure about the relay I'm afraid, but I "think" all the relays are under the seat.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Have you removed this fuse and done a current check across the fuse terminals with key off ?? (Not a 12V live power check, but an amps current check across the terminals with fuse removed ??)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Seems to me that for the fuse in or out to make a difference, the fuse must be completing a circuit that is causing battery drain even when the fuse is no longer 'live'.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Indeed, thats where my thoughts were with the above ?? :upyeah:

11. Exactly but the op was thinking the problem would be before the fuse.

12. It still could be. If there's a short to chassis/other cable etc etc, either side of the fuse, a current check across the terminal will show him. :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  13. Why "lock thread" mate ? Was only a suggestion that's all :thinkingface: :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. It was supposed to be a 'useful'
    Corrected now

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. @Exige .........:punch: :givingbirdemoji: o_O

16. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated

Of course, if the accessory fuse in/out affects the leaching then this just proves that it is this circuit that has the fault. If the fuse is out then the circuit is broken and so a dodgy USB/Powlet/Sat Nav Cradle would not be live and therefore wouldn't be able to fault.
    The plan next is to leave the bike in key-off and put a ampmeter across the fuse and measure the current in milliamps.
    If there is any this must be the circuit with the fault. Then one by one disconnect the USB, Powlet plugs and Sat Nav and see which one is causing the current flow, this one must therefore be faulty.
    Hopefully it'll be a ten minute job!

17. Not really, its just you can not do a current check with the fuse in place, it has to be done with fuse out across the terminals, so while it proves that circuit, its not cause of fuse in or out, its just to do the amps check, fuse must be out to run current through meter :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Whaaaa? :innocent:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. does this fuse also power the diagnostic socket/circuit? is there a cap over these things that can hold any water that can ingress.

20. Turned the garage upside down looking for my multimeter last night - really pisses me off when I know I have a tool but its not where its supposed to be. No point messing about - will buy another one tomorrow. No an expert on electrics but I believe I can disconnect neg lead from battery and put meter in series and look for a high current reading, then take fuses out one at a time replacing them after to prove which circuit is producing the high current reading. Once I know which circuit it is (and assuming it is the Accessory circuit) then disconnect the plugs on that circuit one at a time to find which one is the culprit.
    I don't believe that the duc has a 'Keep Memory' so I will lose all of my ABS, DWC and suspension settings etc and they will be reset to default but that's not too big an issue
    And if that doesn't work I'll take it into a duc dealer and ask them to resolve it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information