1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Battery Discharging After 3 Days In Garage

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Jackstraw, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. That's how I found the Garmin cradle problem. Disconnect neg lead and check for current drawer with bike off. I took off the garmin still a draw, then just disconnected the cradle. Draw gone. I would start by disconnecting any add on accessory, lights, GPS, phone chargers, etc. This was on a non switched circuit tiger 800. Changed to switch circuit, or with mts a can bus which is switched. Using same cradle.
    When it was sorted I did a Google search and found I wasn't the only one with that particular problem.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Well that's frustrating!
    Took seats off and left the bike overnight in key off mode, left key indoors.
    Removed -ve battery lead and put an amp meter in series. Replaced accessory fuse
    Starting reading was -340
    Took the fuses out one by one from the two fuse boxes.
    Each time the reading remained constant at -340 except with the dashboard fuse removed when the reading dropped to -320
    Am I missing something obvious or is it time to take it to a dealer?
    Thanks

3. Left mine 5 weeks last September without my trickle charge on & it was dead as a dodo, since then any long time off the road & its trickle charged lesson learnt.

5. Thanks Timg
    It's a new bike to me, as I don't know the history I've put a brand new battery on
    Jack

6. Umm, maybe I'm being dim but doesn't the fact that removing the accessory fuse stops the drain mean that it's that fuse and circuit that is involved ??

7. No, it was me being dim!
    Although that's what it seemed to me from how well the motor was turning, it definitely seemed to be holding more charge with fuse out. Now I have put a meter over it I have proven that there is an equal amount of current with or without the accessory fuse in.

8. So, took the bike into Ducati Ashford to get the battery drain looked at and was loaned a 795 Monster whilst mine was with them - really great customer service from Bill and the team there.
    The mechanics unplugged/replugged some of the connectors, ran diagnostics, checked the battery drop. All came back normal.
    Left it with them for a week and still no faults, so brought it home and it has been fine in the two weeks since.
    No idea what the fault was, perhaps just a loose connection somewhere that corrected in the unplugging/replugging, but happy to end this thread to say all is good now
    Thanks to those who gave an input
    Cheers

9. Glad you got a normal multistrada now. I'd still only trickle charge the battery for a few days once a month if not been used.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information