1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Prob On 748

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gary Warren, Jun 22, 2019.

1. another day another problem. Just installed new cam belts all went to plan started up and run sounded sweet until it cut out and went to restart battery sparking and then started to smoke. Can't see that I've disturbed anything battery showing 12.7 any ideas fella's

2. Sparking would indicate a loose connection or a short. I would check all connections to the battery and give a bit more information as to where the sparks were coming from.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hi Birdie. Sparks and smoke from terminals. All battery terminals were tight can't see any cuts etc only thing added is a hook up for battery charger.soon as it started smoking I whipped it off asap

4. Very silly question,but is the battery connected the correct way round on the terminals:thinkingface:

5. Yes all connected right and tight. Baffled

6. As Steve suggests, sparks can surely only occur across a gap

7. Sparks from both terminals or just one? Which one? Photo of something pointing to exact place where sparking occurred may help people come up with better ideas)suggestions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Just a thought, if you have used too long a bolt on the battery post the bolt will bottom out and feel tight but not clamp the cable terminal to the battery post properly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Did it cut out of its own accord or did you turn it off?

10. As above, sparking only happens when something isn’t making Secure contact, even if terminals reversed and bolted tight then it wouldn’t spark but would smoke of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. What started smoking? The cable for the hook up for the recently fitted battery charger? Or another cable to/from the battery?

12. I've had battery on and off checking terminals etc she started no smoke but cut out won't now start fuel pump not priming and sounds like a relay is clicking . Seat is off but hard to determine which one is making the noise?

13. You may need a new battery but start by charging the current one.

14. Thanks for your help fella's

15. As it seems there is no problem with the battery connected until you start the engine, it is possibly pointing towards the charging system, have you connected the wire from the reg/rec to the wrong side of the battery?
    Just a bit confusing otherwise without seeing it.
    Steve

16. Can't help thinking a few photos might give a clue to the problem on this one, battery, starter solenoid, reg/rec wires etc?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. First thing I think would help is some pictures as already stated

Next is a list of what you had to disconnect to do the belts and then go back over all these connections make sure they are correct, secure and clean

Was the sparking at the battery terminals? As others have already said for it to spark something has to be loose, sparks are white hot metal.

When it started did it turn over at the usual speed, just wondering if the engine is reluctant to turn and something somewhere was getting overloaded, sprag on the way out for example (I only know the 1098)

Personally I've never came across anything like that before, that would scare the bejaysus outta me

• Like Like x 1
  18. All sorted by the looks of things. Removed everything from terminals reconnected also replaced under seat relay for fuel pump,finished full service and took it out for a spin. Went like a dream no cutting out so hopefully that was the relay causing that prob. Thanks again for all your help lads

• Like Like x 2
  19. Surely just ionised gas?

20. You have a point @AirCon

Surely unless he's running a battery in the kV range (he didn't state the battery voltage) the little lights would be the result of current & summit is gettin melted tae f**k.

I did sleep with an electrical engineer once, but that was long,long time ago

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information