1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belgian Beer

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robarano, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Glasses at the ready @Derek :)

Although I only have Chimay Blue and Kasteel Donker in at the moment.

The next order will definitely be St Bernardus 12% :upyeah:

IMG_9020.JPG

#21 Robarano, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Holy Moly !

Have you kept a record of every one ?

This one isn't Belgian , but it is on top of bin .
    A "refreshing" Austrian brew , at a sporting 14%

Austrian beer.png

#22 oldtech, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. This one for me as first choice,plus many others that i like as well.
    Duvel-gift-set-Blonde-995x1024.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. More or less. I've been drinking Belgian beers for quite a number of years. Sometime ago it occurred to me to scan the labels after I had drunk them as a sort of a record.
    I've also recorded beers from the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy and France.
    I've hear of Samichlaus but never found a bottle. it must have quite a kick :yum

• Like Like x 2
  5. I also brew my own beer and often try to emulate the Belgian Trappist style. Never quite got to Chimay/Roqueforte but getting close. :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. You want to check the labels of Belgian beers bought in Britain.
    I am not a connoisseur which you can probably tell because I like Stella. Stella sold in UK is brewed here and tastes nothing like Belgian Stella and is weaker.

7. Prefer to hop (pun intended) just over the border

1D38F28E-ED3D-4009-B819-2F9D19A2EC67.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. 13547A96-D728-44A1-BB29-E0DCDF49DAD3.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Good man yourself !
    I'm guessing that you have that book by Protz and Wheeler ?

There's a sort of companion book with 100 recipes replicating well-known brews ..... I tried a few and they are not bad at all .

I came to the conclusion that the water was often the key ingredient ....
    .... you can find all the malt and hop varieties you could want these days ,
    but the water is a different matter altogether

.... just my 2 mongos worth ... :yum

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. I have a couple of books by Graham Wheeler detailing methods, techniques and recipes that are currently with my son who started brewing a couple of years ago. I've read 2 or 3 books by Protz but they were about beer and beer styles not about brewing per se. I started brewing about 35 years ago, just after I got married and we moved to a house in the country. That was a great place to live but there wasn't a pub for at least 5 miles in any direction, so I decided to brew my own.
    The first brews were with Glenbrew 80/- kits, made in Glasgow. They were OK compared with most kits at that time but I'd like to have done better. What changed things for me was a book I found in a homebrew shop called " Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy" by Dave Line. He died quite a few years ago. The book described the basics of all grain brewing and how to make equipment to use. And it gave recipes for a large range of real ales that were on the go at the time. I worked my way through most of the recipes then found another book by Dave Line which was much more detailed in the methods of all-grain brewing. I also learned a lot from Clive Le Pensee's "Historical Companion to House Brewing" and "Guide to Craft Brewing". I don't refer to books so much these days but If I come across something new I like to have a look. Some are absolute rubbish but brewing seems to coming back into favour again among the younger guys which I think is a very good thing.
    I agree that the water is important, especially for the more hoppy IPAs etc. I live in an area with very soft water so tend to adapt my recipes to suit the water but I can add Calcium Sulphate, Magnesium Sulphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, etc as required to suit the beer style I intend to brew.
    I'll be brewing tomorrow. Hmmm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. No, no and thrice no !
    Seemed like a good idea at the time - definitely wasn’t !

upload_2020-4-8_22-55-5.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. :astonished:

13. Chimay Blue... oooft! I’ve been the victim of that a few times

• Like Like x 1
  14. Some have such nice bottles , I just have to save them
    .... usually in the garage .... it cuts down on ear-ache ... :relieved:

-
    La Trappe - bottle.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ditto. Long since drunk unfortunately and I've never seen another one.

IMG_20200409_153940.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  16. Random bottle pics .....

These happened to be in the "safe place" that I knew I'd put all of the new fork parts ....
    .... some time ago !

-

Wychcraft and Goblin.jpg

PS - I like the IPA brews .... always have .

In these troubled times I'm getting less picky , and I got these at Aldi .....
    Marston's Old Empire IPA and Wild Bill ( an American IPA )

17. Aldi in the UK may carry a different range but if you like IPAs then I thoroughly recommend McGargles Francis’ Big Banging IPA at 7+% or, a bit softer, Roadworks Pale Ale at 5%; not a true IPA but one step towards an IPA.
    0D2A6954-C10B-417B-800E-0EB32F0897EA.jpeg

ps. Sorry @Robarano not Belgian I know, but still foreign:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. aahhh memories of the booze cruise to France and the 24 case of beer de alsace stubbies

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information