1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benelli Tornado?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by yellowducmaniac, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Well remembered! Yes, had mine from 'new'. First reg March 1st 2015, built 2004. The updates are important but don't get too hung up on looking for the punch mark on the chassis plate, mine has had the updates (with documentation to prove) but the dealer never punched the vin plate.

One other point - ensure the core plugs have been changed. Some engines have one, some have two. The standard plugs rot out and don't give any warning as they rot from the back. There is a Ducati which uses the same plug, I think it's the 999

Vwdy unusual bike, you will either love or hate it. As for me? I'll never sell mine.

• Like Like x 2
  2. If there is more anyone wants to know, best option is to message via my website as it comes directly to my mobile. Go to www.specialkracing.co.uk and click on 'contact us'

I can't guarantee I can help, but I'll be sure to try.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Touched on earlier, I don't know exact models or years affected, but I know earlier engines were plagued with an expansion problem which affected the operation of the starter motor plus gears and alternator drive possibly. Main symptom was the starter struggling to crank engine when hot and worse case could lead to seizure or breakage.

4. Yes, it's the Z25 gear and shaft, should be done as part of a recall. They don't crank quickly at the best of times, even after the mod is done.

5. Pretty much what he said. I had one from 2011 to 2016, before I replaced it with my Monster. It was always reliable, starting without an issue even when it had been sat for months over winter, and the induction noise is addictive, especially over about 6k.

It did have its quirks: the trip and clock would reset if starting from warm due to voltage drop and the guages would occasionally go nuts and off the top of the temperature scale. I was advised by Russ at Bennetts (Benelli guru at the UK go to dealership) that the only real way you'd tell if it was overheating was if you could see steam. The paint is also iffy quality, and you'll often find peeling fairings, especially the lower sections.

I miss mine and in some ways wish I still had it, but I'd only want one as a 2nd bike, and just don't have the space at present.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I had the 1972 Tornado 650S, with its massively oversquare engine, that revved like a two stroke. Commissioned from Benelli by the Berliner Bros in New York, the US importers, who wanted something from Europe to take on the Harleys. At one time I was going to repaint it from the black it came in and when the green/silver of the new Tornado appeared I contacted the factory and asked for the paint code for the green. I was absolutely floored when a call came in one lunchtime from Andrew Morton in Italy, he told me how he'd had to convince the board to go with green, their historical racing colour, rather than go red, like Ducati and MV. In order to convince them, he sent a set of bodywork for the prototype TRE to a paint shop in Milton Keynes that paints Formula One bodywork for several leading teams. The paint job came to £5 grand because he wanted a very specific lustre in it (gold or silver - can't remember which). Needless to say, he won the argument when he unveiled the bike in the boardroom.. still a very good looking bike, especially as presented by @domRusty

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Green and Silver is certainly the most popular colour scheme, and seems to hold its value the best. When there was a stock of unregistered bikes being cleared, long after they'd ceased production, it was also green and silver that sold out first. Mine was red...

8. Great story :upyeah: The base coat has some gold in it, which is pretty subtle but does add a unique sheen to the green - it’s a glorious combo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's all down to the price really. A really left field and rare bike, if you can get it for a price you are happy with, go for it.

It'll just get rarer going forward. I think I've only ever seen one in my life. :thinkingface:

10. The LE was never worth the extra so don't buy one of them unless it is really cheap/close to standard price.

The only people who bought them, told their wife's it was the standard model

11. I saw one at Donny in April, looked amazing, 3 session later it was covered in gravel rash. Some bikes shouldn't do track days.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information