1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bering C2 Air Vest

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by West Cork Paul, Jan 4, 2020.

1. No affiliation, just thought I’d post a brief review of an air vest I got as an Xmas pressie from SWMBO to help any others looking at getting an air vest.

It’s great:upyeah:. After 5 mins you won’t even know you’re wearing it:upyeah:.

SWMBO (I;)) bought it back in the Black Friday sales and in Euro speak we paid €316 reduced by 20% from 395. Mine’s black with reflective bits. They also have a fluorescent version, which retails at the same price unlike Helite who charge more for the flouro version.

The C2 is equivalent to the Helite Turtle in as much as its built in back protector is outside of the airbag ie the airbag inflates underneath it. The Helite Turtle retails at 549 here in Eire, 40% more than the Bering, and 599 for the flouro version.

Useless fact. Bering were the original inventor of the airbag for motorcyclists. Helite made them for horse riders then adapted them.

When I was trying them on last year, before waiting for sale prices to purchase, IMO the fit and look of the Bering was so much better than the Helite, less obtrusive. Due to the zip up front it looks like it’s part of your jacket rather than the Helite, which with its buckle fasteners, looks like a life vest.

The Bering comes in just 2 sizes, S/M/L and XL/XXL/XXXL, this is due to the expandable elasticated gusset stitched into either side. Makes sizing a whole lot easier and means it adapts to whatever you have underneath, whether it’s summer or bulkier winter gear.

I’m 44-46” chest so got the larger version. I have to admit it felt snug when trying it on in the shop over my t-shirt & hoody, so when I went out yesterday and put it on over my 3 layers and big thick Dainese Goretex winter jacket with thermal liner and built in armour I was expecting it to be a struggle to do up the zip, but no:). It stretched, zipped up easily, and didn’t at all feel constrictive. I didn’t even remove the back protector from my Dainese jacket, coz it was a faff and I wanted to see if the vest would still fit.

it comes with a strap with a D-ring attached, which took about 5 mins to adjust and fit under the seat and around the frame. The D-ring protrudes between the seat and tank and you attach the rip-cord trigger to that.

Oh, and it’s fully washable, just remove the airbag and back protector & bung the vest in the machine.

I hope I never have to use it for its intended mission but so far im summary, highly recommended if you’re looking for such a thing.

4F95D5CB-BA70-4A43-B6DE-2A88C51EC8A4.jpeg
    32084F91-4CB6-4B8F-BD48-AAA248E651D1.jpeg
    B7731497-0151-47A5-BB9C-20576F0F5658.jpeg
    01DFCFE8-BCBD-490E-ABEA-F299A5F6DEBE.jpeg
    EE9E5EAF-31E2-4FAD-8B44-91B2F35239D3.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. A word of caution, not sure where I read it but the plastic D ring for attaching the airbag trigger to the bike is a potential weak point. Someone had an off and the air bag didn’t inflate. On close inspection, the D ring had failed. It might have been posted on here or on the TVAM FB page so I’ll try and find a link. Andy

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Yep, the D-ring is plastic, same plastic as is used for the buckle type fasteners on many bits of kit. Just to be on the safe side I might just add a metal one, it’ll be easy enough to do. I’ll tape it up with electrical tape as well to prevent any scratches on the tank.

4. You look like you’ve just buried a body in the woods Paul lol

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Held do one too which is a branded Helite one apparently.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Biggest draw back for these type of airbag vests is the tether trigger. If you go down and slide with the bike they won't trigger.
    In the same scenario the electronically triggered units would have already inflated before you hit the ground due to the motion sensing algorithm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Looks a bit Barnes Wallace. Could get a bit tedious bouncing across three counties.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. A bit of a thread resurrection but I pointed someone else to this thread and then re-read the thread and further to Andy’s comment I can advise that Bering actually issued an alert for all purchasers to contact them or the supplying dealer to receive a replacement strap with a metal D-ring and a new lanyard as well. A 5 minute fix:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  9. After having had it for a year, what are your thoughts now?

10. So is this a mechanically operated airbag vest as opposed to say the Ixon which is digital?

11. Yes. Different but similar to the Helite. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I bought a Held airbag vest which has the electronic InMotion trigger system. The one I bought is meant to be clipped in under a specific jacket but buckles can be fitted so I wear it under any jacket or suit. The price was too good not to buy it at £104.
    There is a monthly or yearly charge for the electronic system which is the only drawback but otherwise I think it's the bees knees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. I still like it, I still wear it. Once on you just forget about it and it can be worn over or under a jacket. My waterproof jacket for example is on the large size so I wear it under that, my leather jacket is a bit more fitted so it goes over that. The only thing did swap it for would be one without the lanyard as truth be known I do sometimes forget to clip it on :confused:.
    Yep, it’s mechanical. There are pros & cons to both types I guess, although I’m not a fan of the subscription models that seem to be introduced lately.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. That’s a very good price. Where from, and was it linked with other purchases?
    Does the suit you use it under have expanding zones for an airbag?

15. It was from Ghostbikes and not linked to another purchase. I spent some time finding voucher codes on top of the already good deal and ended up with just over 100 quid. I have enough room under my suit. Held don't specify expanding panels but a certain amount of room. It's comfortable and I'm confident it will be ok.
    The only thing I'm not that thrilled about is the fact that InMotion want the trigger box back when you cancel your subscription. I don't ride in Winter so I will cancel that. I appears that they send one back out to you as soon as you re-subscribe. I cross that bridge when I get there. I had trouble activating it as it had been months after I bought the vest and the firmware was out of date but they sorted that out as soon as I rang. I just needed to place it very close to my router to receive the updates.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information