1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 999 Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Axe, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Some very good points.

It's odd but on things like my Superduke or any other previous super naked / sports bike I tend to go with a middle to fast 'Road tyre' such as the M7rr, predominantly because I occasionally venture them on to tracks and in my head it's like they're a good all rounder

But on previous sport tourer type bikes like the Multistrada 1200s I ran tyres like the pilot road 3's, and my over riding memory of those was the amount of astonishing all weather grip and confidence they gave. In fact if I was to rate tyre experiences they'd be at the top, yet bizarrely I'd never run them on a super naked.

As you say much of this is in your head.

There have been times I've set out for a weekend blast and not felt 100% but carried on thinking I'd settle in after a few miles.
    Then I'd just not feel right or comfortable in the corners, or something would twitch and I'd pick up on it whereas before I wouldn't, or more to the point I'd not let it phase me.

On those days I just call it a day and turnaround to go home. There's no shame in riding home to tell the Mrs today's simply not a day for riding.

It's weird but I'm always very conscious of mindset when riding. Some days (most I guess) whenever I sling a leg over the bike and hit those first bends at reasonable pace you just feel like everything clicks, but on occasion it just doesn't. No changes to the bike, all just mindset.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I agree with you Damo. Being in practice helps with the mindset too. After a little layoff I feel a little less confident. Surely giving yourself time to build up the speed gives confidence. But some days we’re just not as good as others.

Tyre choice is personal, as is clear in various posts but it amazes me how infrequently many people check their pressures. I almost always check my tyre pressures. If I get on a bike and don’t feel quite ‘on it’ I find 3lbs of pressure makes a huge difference to the ride. Suddenly the bike is gripping round the bends without any wriggle and the confidence oozes.

All this time effort and money and many people don’t check their pressures one month to the next.
    Makes a massive difference.

Doubtless this is teaching everyone to suck eggs and I apologise but my point is, if I’m not quite confident the first thing I do is check the pressures.

I usually carry a really accurate pressure gauge too. Never trust a forecourt gauge.

As for tyre choice, I’m still with the M7 RR’s but the Avon’s sound interesting. I’ve heard them recommended a few times now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'm 100% with you on a good quality tyre gauge!

Not sure if this is true but I've heard that the reason you have to pay for air at the service stations is not because it costs money to run the compressor, but that it costs to get it recalibrated everyone once in a while. So apparently the pay ones aren't so bad, but the free ones are all over the place. Always wanted To check and see.

....I need a life.

4. The gauge that came with my air compressor reads about 3PSI out to my actual pressure gauge.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information