1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best bike you ever owned ?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by paulfastbikes, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Well the 999 is the best, in that it handles better, brakes better and has more power than any others I've owned.

But I think I had most fun on the 851 bought new in 1990. At that time, Ducati were still a minority interest. The 916 and the fashion victims hadn't yet arrived so you didn't see too many Ducatis about. The bike looked amazing and sounded great. Dealer drilled out something in the stock cans so that it made a great noise, but nothing too loud. It would sometimes backfire on the overrun, which friends following me told me was spectacular at night. It was still quite comfortable (armchair compared to the 916) and you could get quite a lot of luggage on it for trips away. I was very aware of how expensive it was - had to do weekend work and saving up to pay for it. It was, in fact, the business. Van drivers and women in cars wound down windows in London traffic to tell me how cool it was - only bike that's ever happened to me on. It really did turn heads, but you felt you had to live up to something when riding it or you'd be some sort of poseur (can imagine that happening on a Desmo these days). That was maybe the only downside.

851 Mont d'Or-small-small.jpg

851 Mont d'Or-small-small.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. For me maybe not the best but the one i had grown into biking with has to be a 1987 GSXR750h

Engine - a peach
    handeling - great
    comfort - not bad !
    breaks - Crap (had to write them a note to stop!)
    Looks - Fantastic

GSXR H.JPG

GSXR H.JPG

#43 paulk563, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ooh, I've got one of those! Great bike.

5. I love 'em, but too scared to buy one due to the bad press regarding parts and service!

6. 99 r1 ..................first thousand .......................................eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oi Ethel, that bl**dy postman is getting later and later........must be getting lost I reckon......must be one of them sanilav things he's using.

AL.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jest you may, but I used to take it camping at the Bol every year. Probably where I was off to in this pic. And at least I didn't have one of those Fourth Bridge girder rack things. When you arrive, soft luggage comes off and sexiness is restored! :wink:

9. Ditto mutely
    Nearly ditto 998

10. That's why i got rid of mine in the end even though i loved that bike and still do, just too unreliable and Aprilia didn't help IMHO.

11. I thought I'd seen that luggage before. Did you go to the 1990 Bol when it was at Paul Ricard? I only saw one 851 and it had exactly the same luggage.

12. 1989 Honda CBR250R MC19....... 250cc IL4 with a redline at 18,000rpm. This was my first proper bike, the love affiar started when she looked like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best pre-Panigale dash that has ever graced a motorcycle

Then time was called far too early with my dear concubine in this manner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was a sad day and will be 5 years ago on the 27th of June this time round. It did however pave the way for a generous compensatory pay out and a ridiculous Ducati obsession so not all bad really lol

13. Nasty mate... I feel your pain...:frown: Make 'em fooking pay...!!! :upyeah:

14. Lol, I had an extremely life threatening bleed on the brain, a broken lower leg (fib or tib, can't remember which), severly damaged ligmanets in my knee, extensive bruising covering; chest, lower abdomen, underside of penis and right hand side of scrotum. He got a slight graze on his right forearm where the Volvo's side impact protection curtain deployed......lol

I think the compo was deserved.

15. Wondered what that was in the volvo!
    Thought it was a dinghy! :rolleyes:

16. Hahaha, no its not an inflatable boat, its the gay curtain, that turns out to be not very gay hahahaha.

17. If best = most fun most of the time then it'd be one of these

AP50 (Fizzy eater)
    350LC
    '92 Fireblade
    '98 R1
    SuperDuke

If best = often frustrating but almost perfect every now and again it'd be either my 996SPS or my RGV250 VJ23

18. AP Fizzy eater! No way i never had a AP come past my fizzy! LOL But i did have a few PUCH GP's pass me! and the odd Fantic

19. AP50's eat Fizzies for breakfast sir, pistols sir, how very dare you :wink:

Mine would do 140, two up, with luggage ...

20. Garelli was the one that always got me,flat out on me fizzy and some skinny bloke on a garelli tries to pass u.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information