1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Bikes to buy as Investments?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dave, Oct 12, 2013.

1. The reality is that you need to be predicting what may be collectible and trying to buy it at a few years old. If you wait until they start increasing you could be too late (buying near the peak) or paying too much in the first place. Just buy a load of bikes, keep them, and pray a few become collectible...
    A chap near my old flat had a couple of old fizzies, 1098 R TB, a D16, a 1098R, and a couple of 916 (style, don't know the model) SPS's or something like that. Most still have delivery miles on them and initially most of them tanked in value.... 10+ years later they are starting to make him some money, but not a lot for what he paid... he also has to look after them, and actually ends up not wanting to sell because he becomes attached to them (so not a great investment). And because they are an "investment" he doesn't ride them... it really is the worst of both worlds!

My point is, buy what you like and enjoy it... if it goes up, congratulations.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I'm thinking about buying a tidy standard GSXR 1000 K1 and throwing a cover over it in the garage. I'd probably have a go on it on a nice day, but it's not something I'm particularly attracted to. The price of them are on the up now, same as the 98 R1.

I've got 2 98 R1s in white and red. One of them I'll probably keep forever, but it's there if I ever need to sell. I've seen that the 99 R1 is starting to rise in the red/white/black scheme as well now.

3. If you bought an sps when it came out that 20k back in 98. Now, it would make 20k with delivery miles maybe?

20k today compared to 98 is almost incomparable. That would have been an easy deal out on a house, now it barely covers the cost of the tax and fees...

I fancy another SPS at the right money (@cookster ;) ) that's been used so not mint, not for investment really but because I always wanted one, had one, wrecked it, broke it, regretted it since. So my 'collection' is always based around personal emotional connection.

Btw the sos would become my track bike and nice Sunday ride :)

4. ive got a gsxr k2 1000 for sale mate

also got a a 99 r1 in red white but definatly not for sale that one.

5. @bradders im definatly selling mine mate. think im going to keep the 1198 now as its down at louigi moto getting mapped. i just cant help myself :Banghead:

• Like Like x 1
  6. well, my first contract may be on the cards to start a week after my current one finishes (been working on it last 4 weeks), so come the Spring I may have some disposable.... May pop in this week for a coffee, need to go and see Tim the Heel Dragger anyway about Triumph... :Banghead:

7. cool mate the sps is up there as we speak so doubt it will be ready this side of the new year. but yeah pop in mate kettle is aways on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. How is Chris set for work? ... Need to get the hyper back in the dyno as I've added a set of k&n's

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

9. @comfysofa hes flat out mate, but i just dropped mine off with rich and said do it when you can.

10. Bugger - never mind...i was thinking as it was getting colder id get a shot....

11. send him a txt he might get a cancelation or something.

12. I was wondering around Midtown and stumbled across this ‘Art of The Italian Two Wheel’ - Stuart Parr - Pipeburn.comPipeburn.com
    Value is related in some way to an emotional connection. The bike you lusted after as a kid or had a poster of on your wall. The best example of the rarest, highest spec and walk away until you find 'the one'.

13. The most surprising trend I've seen recently is the massive rise in prices of rotten old hot hatches, specifically Renault 5 GT Turbos, 205 GTi's and Fiat Uno Turbos. You could pick them up for less than £2k 5 years ago, but they are all up around £5-7k at the moment and they keep rising!

14. Ha ha, I have just bought a Mk 1 Golf GTI cabrio. I think it is the emotional connection to a car I owned in the 80s. Now the kids have gone I can have another one and wallow in nostalgia listening to the Police!

15. Anything of 80's vintage is key target for disposable-income 40/50 somethings, hence the increases in anything that age.

16. Yep, I'd like a mk1 XR2 as that was my 1st car but seen the price of 'em?!?!?!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Totally right. Lucky I kept all those cassettes.

18. My first car was an Uno Turbo, but when good ones are £7k (from memory new in 1989 they were only £9k!, and I bough a 5 year old one in 1994 for £1,175!!) I will just live with the memory, and make new memories with new toys!...

I suppose the secret is to buy a few things now that are about 15 years old and sit on them for 15years! Although I still don't worth it is worth the hassle, and I still side with just buying what makes you happy, and using it.

19. Don't buy one with the reg HTW 620Y, it was mine.

20. Well you can't buy mine, a tree fell on it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information