1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Bikes to buy as Investments?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dave, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Bought my RSV4 factory 11 years ago for 7.2k - its still worth about the same...ish...

2. Yes and no, because no one's taking onboard the running costs per year, i.e service, tyres, roadfund licence, insurance mot etc, etc, times that by 10 years ownership = alot of money.

3. 10 years of an LC350

Tyres £200
    Road tax £450
    Mot £350
    Insurance £1000
    Maintenance £500
    Speeding ticket £100

Total £2800.

Conclusion:
    Purchased £2500
    Running costs £2800
    Sales price £7000 - £5300 = £1700

Plus the fun of ownership is both priceless and zero charge. Better financial return than the bank but not as much fun as booze & wild women?

PS.
    These numbers are far worse when applied to restoring a VFR400.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Now apply that calculation to Ducati ownership if in use on the public roads for the same period :eek:etc.

5. Ducati ownership is a whole different thing. Perhaps buying an SPS in the 1990s and keeping it in the lounge could have earnt some people money?

BTW. Those LC owners costs are now reduced by £100 p.a.as the bikes are historic.

6. I personally think you'll get your start money returned and just cover your expenses over that period, but as you say apart from property, what else would you invest in for a good return on your capital.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Which when compared to the longer term results of hangovers, the clap or perhaps divorce from booze & wild women, breaking even seem really good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bought my 996sps cheap 6 years ago, now worth a nice penny :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. Saw one of these in a dealers a couple of weeks ago. £13k. Bang tidy and totally original. But it wAs the white X7 that caught my eye. £8k. Again totally restored and original… roll back the years to those balmy summer nights trying to impress the girlies…. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. No way. No pockets in a shroud but loads of memories in my head. Priceless return on a debauched youth through to middle age. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Car investments always make me laugh. My mate has just got himself a lambo as an investment as it’s a rare one.

i did query his maths considering it’ll cost atleast 5k min in servicing every year……

he ‘ain’t’ making shit!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. I think that I've done Ok , THE sp1 pictured in my profile cost £5,500 from a dealer with 13,000 miles back in 2013. Its now done 15,000 miles.

13. But what about the long-term damage to your sight?

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. No sight damage now since I started wearing those rose tinted specs...................

#274 stu-pendus, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Yeah, man maths at it finest. I run a 911 that I fondly imagine is a 'great investment' I just like to conveniently block out servicing, tax, insurance and the perpetual pampering.
    I've just spent £2.5k on paint correction and PPF. And that's not long after a £2k service... o_O

• Funny Funny x 2

16. Relatable

• Like Like x 1
  17. Agreed, bought my 998 FE 11 years ago. Spent nigh on 60% of the purchase costs just on servicing it.

• Like Like x 1

18. Love that profile pic Sir

love an EEL!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information