1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Inexpensive Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Mac, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Its a cheap price to pay to eliminate one possible cause of a LOC.

2. Testing of torque wrenches and instruments is universal across a lot of industries it isn’t confined to O&G, anyone working on commercial and private vehicles should have their tools calibrated.

I’d hope the mechanic servicing my motorbike has torqued the fasteners to the correct values and not either over or ordered tightened any fastener.

3. Torque wrenches are guessing sticks at best.
    Try torquing 2 bolts up the same size, 1 lubricated and 1 dry and see the difference in tightening angles.
    That's why the bolts on ti rods are tightened to an angle so the clamping force is repeatable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. But if you want to do it correctly, you measure bolt stretch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. You are correct, I should have said stretch figure, I will leave the original post as is so everyone can see I've made an arse...:joy:
    Nearly all of the critical fasteners I work with are to s stretch setting so I should have known better :p:p

• Like Like x 1
  6. The money wasting bit to which I referred is because we have to send them in regardless of the fact they've been sat in a tool cabinet unused since last certification : unamused:

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. That’s what having a quality system in place will do for you. Andy

8. The torque will be the same on both your lubricated and non lubricated bolts. When you reduce friction you will of course get a different clamping force with the same torque. 40% on average between dry and lubed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Absolutely, but the same torque gives more tightening angle on the nut, and more bolt stretch.
    Get it wrong and you will pass the yield point, and we have all been there..:worried:.
    A good torque wrench will give a repeatable torque on the nut but there will always be a variance on the bolt stretch and compression on whatever you are clamping.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. you do get a snappy that goes from around 10ft-lb to 250ft-lbs they do the angles too . big money tho. if you have a mate in the trade you could save on the vat. but it is still a shit load of cash new. you will almost deffo get a used one, and you will be able to get it repaired should the shit ever hit the fan.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Get 2 decent torque wrenches to cover the range you require,
    Britool, facom, teng, norbar, avoid cheap tools especially torque wrenches.
    Buy cheap buy twice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks all. A lot of useful stuff there :)

13. Yes , I know that sketch ....
    I once worked in an electronics factory and some of the work stations had a torque wrench
    that looked like a chunky screwdriver .
    It was the "click" type of wrench and it couldn't be altered by the user .

Every few weeks a bloke came around and checked them all against a gauge , and if necessary ,
    he unlocked the adjuster and reset it ( it was something really low such as 3.2 Nm )
    ..... then he put a calibration sticker on it .

I used to wonder what he did the rest of the time ..... I quite fancied his job .

:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Practical sportsbikes did an article on torque wrenches and calibration a couple of issues ago.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. And also buy lots of new nuts and bolts, thread repair kits, new parts etc. :D

16. Very few torque wrenches cater for really low values, say from 3Nm to 10Nm. I managed to find one a few years ago. Fortunately the engineers at work can get them calibrated for me as they have an armoury of them for working on the helos. The bigger ones they use can go well north of 600Nm. I've three. One for 3Nm - 10Nm, one that goes up to 150Nm and a large one that goes up to 300Nm. I stupidly broke one many years ago when I tried to undo a wheel nut. Warranty voided as a result. Expensive and foolish mistake. Lesson learned.

17. Got mine in Halfords think it’s the advanced range. With lifetime warranty

18. Sounds like Topolino learned the hard way, but worth restating -
    A torque wrench is a tool for tightening only.
    Do not use one for loosening at all if you want it to do its job correctly the other way.
    The left hand option is for correctly torquing left hand threads, not for undoing right hand threads.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information