1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place (world) To Live +50 / Not Working - Opinion, Advice And Discussion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by AirCon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. I know :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. That is another option. An apartment with secure parking bike parking could be a go'er. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm a little drunk.... so I WILL NOT be googling apartments in Cabanas de Tavira... damn...tooo late.

4. Nice place with a gentle pace, unlike the busier Western Algarve. The beach is a boat ride over a logoon. :) A couple of golf courses if that's your thing. Close to Tavira (obviously). Faro is the closest airport. Spanish border is a 30 min drive away (Vila Real)

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 21.17.57.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. What did I miss

6. You were going to find me a good woman. :heart_eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Fin about to burn his unmentionables in hot jam and sponge.

8. Loads of apartments, but none with own parking, unless silly money?

9. Have more to drink! :beer: :beer: :beer: You'll find it easier to justify the prices that way. :cool: :sun: :beer: :sun: :beer: :sun: :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. What an interesting read! Amazing that so many of us are in similar positions and contemplating retirement or recently done it. From what you've said, I think you should go for it :upyeah:

I would highly recommend finding a lovely small and friendly village Paul, where people know each other and there is a real sense of community. I found that in Oxfordshire. With my two sons I'll be sticking here for some time but do sometimes wonder about Cornwall/Devon, an RV, etc. I'll probably give it another 2-3 yrs. So the dilemma is; how satisfying will life be without work? (which I generally enjoy). Spending a couple of days in London each week, which I love, must be the contrast to village life?. Keeping to central England does have plenty of advantages with the ease of what's around.

With everyone looking around, maybe we need to find the perfect village (Hay-on-Wye looks nice) and make it the designated Ducati retirement service centre :motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Have a look at the black and white trail nice little villages around Herefordshire

• Like Like x 1
  12. I’m looking :)

• Love You Love You x 1
  13. Sorry Wayne lad, but I have to disagree with your dad there. Try being retired without the wedge, then I think you'll know what proper boredom is, hence why I'm still working after retirement, because I have to and not because I want to.
    A mate said to me once, money doesn't necessarily bring you happiness, but it sure as hell makes being miserable a damn sight easier. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. I would move a bit more towards the welsh border, the Hereford roads are in a terrible state, so getting from Ross to the Powys roads will attack your kidneys for 45 minutes, I live just outside Hay on Wye, lovely little town, lots to do, right on the border, so straight onto the best roads of mid wales, very affluent area, enough work for your skills if you want to do a few days work, English not Welsh spoken area, lots of small hamlets with just a pub and a church too if you don't fancy town, or even no neighbours at all, just sheep is a possibility if you wish, plenty for sale, I do know of a stunning barn conversion in a great position, sadly owner past away before he could move in, his wife is now selling it, but not advertised widely, pm me if you want details, no I am not on commission, but one of your mutleys would be nice lol

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I have a lad that works for me, he's 55 next year and determined to retire. He's going to take a 10% hit on his pension (5% p.a. under the age of 57) and live on an income 1/3 of what he's on now as he hasn't got anywhere near his full entitlement accrued. He has an easy job and is looked after, but just has it in his head he want's to be away. He says that he doesn't do much, so doesn't need the money. :confused:

Me, I'll go without a penalty to my pension and full accrual, the house will be paid, so my lump and pension is my own and I have the money for the toys and holidays. My current bikes are paid for, and anything else I buy will be too. I'm working hard for it at the moment, but I have a plan. :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Greece is more like it, for a bit of sun and nice food, and Italy everything south of Rome would do nicely too lol

• Like Like x 3
  17. I'm envious Rob, stick to the plan and I hope everything works out for you :upyeah:
    I'm lucky in one sense my house is paid for but I still don't have enough income to live modestly without working, sadly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. We seriously thought about buying an apartment in metaponto a few (maybe 10) years ago. The apartment we looked at was a 2 bed with all mod cons at around £30k. We didn't bother as we decided we didn't want to be tied down to one place for holidays as there's a whole world out there to see.

Last year we thought we'd have another look. Similar size apartments are now going for £150k plus.

I could have kicked myself.

19. I would have be thinking about early retirement too with being mortgage free at 45 years of age, unfortunately after two divorces I will now have to work until I drop, but besides that, I enjoy life every day, and I know of too many people with the perfect retirement plan who never made it that far or are too ill to enjoy it, so carpe diem it is!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Not bothering to read all replies, but, my plan;
    5 years time retire (@56). Would have been France but all the extreme Brexiteers on here may have put paid to that , dunno yet(o_O), second choice Dumfries and Galloway, south of the A75. Not too high in the hills. Gulf stream influence, great scenery, great roads. Ok, Scots are running amok but cant have it all :)p). Less people, cant stand people! Simple life, dog, fishing, keep a bike on the road, happy days. Working is for mugs.
    If your going to be bored having time on your hands then take up a local hobby like bagpipe torture. The locals love it. Haggis hunting, obviously only when in season. Job done.
    To be serious though, you cant take money with you, and health/life are finite.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information