1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place (world) To Live +50 / Not Working - Opinion, Advice And Discussion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by AirCon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Yes - she'd be happy anywhere between Cresswell and Banborough.......or Tynemouth (but that's getting expensive). I'd go a furthe north and inland...Kelso....Moffat......great border biking country, nice and rural....but close enough to Newcastle or Edinburgh for airports etc. I'd also fancy Argyllshire but that's too remote for her.

Comments on Portugal on this thread are interesting.

First job is to pay off the mortgage and maximise the pension

2. Some good suggestions there. Northumberland can be biking nirvana itself with great routes to Scotland, The lakes, Pennines, North Yorks. :upyeah:

3. Think I need to take some road trips this year
    Only been to Scotland once and the furthest north I have been is Liverpool and Stalybridge

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. Benson is nice, great biker cafe, but if I move it needs to be further out, cheaper property and or more space.
    I'd be quite happy never to come back to London..... and think that most days on the way in.
    How far is Moto Luigi from Hay-on-Wye?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Further than Hereford
    Hay on wye is a bit of a way from motorway access
    It’s around 1hr 30

6. 30 minutes to Hereford, 20 minutes to Brecon, 90 minutes to Bristol, very good roads though, over the mountain to abergavenny, then all dual carriage way to Newport and then onto M4, and the Powys roads are fab!

7. Have been living in a rural location near to Ledbury, on the Herefordshire/Gloucestershire border, for 14 years, recent marital breakup sees me living in Ledbury itself. This latest move has made me realise what I've been missing, the advantages of the locality but with some; limited but reasonable (subjective) amenities within easy walking distance with a community spirit usually missing in city living. Good connectivity into the motorway system yet suitably remote, train connection too. In the other direction Wales is my biking playground. Divorce puts retirement plans on hold for the time being but I'll get there eventually.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Would people please stop recommending Wales :worried:
    It's shit here, honest. :worried:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. We didn't say move to Swansea lol, life in the national park is bliss

• Like Like x 1
  10. Why did you stop there? Did your car get nicked? o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Family are up there
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. :thinkingface:

upload_2018-3-2_6-41-4.png

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. I'd like to live nr Torridon, Unapool or Inverkraig. Right up in the NW Highlands. Its stunningly beautiful up there. My aunt n uncle live nr Dumfries and it too is a lovely spot. My family are from there. I'd also quite like Liverpool oddly enough as I really like scousers. Funny bunch and generally socially conscious and welcoming. Plus Im a red. Obviously as long as I was out of eyeshot of that monolithic monstrous carbuncle known as Goodison. LFC is my English team. Queen of the South my home team. The NW Highlands are the most fantastic areas of UK. I would live there easily. Far away from the maddening crowd in quiet tranquility. But I'd have to get a quieter Ducati, as mine would ruin the ambience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. No need for apologies @broke Gareth, I argue with the old bugger constantly. I think what he is getting at is something I agree with, but I think there must be a balance. Even my old man, he's not saying retire if your penniless and destitute, but conversely, don't work until your "xx" age if you can afford to go. :D:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. If you can get the snow cleared away by the 8th of June I'll be there. :motorcycleduc:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Perhaps as so few have snow blowers, you could open a seasonal snow blowing service to top up the coffers?

17. I just saw "open a blowing service" and I thought, I hope I'll never be that desperate to retire.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I got the opportunity to retire last July and haven’t looked back tbh. I worked shifts for thirty years and the nights were killing me towards the end.
    We have rental income from a few bits and bobs plus a holiday let project up in Northumberland that should be up and running by the end of summer.
    If I can convince Mrs W to go for another holiday let then my ‘ job ‘ would be managing those.
    Looking at this house at the moment up in Girvan. You seem to get a lot of bang for your buck in Scotland and we love the sea.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66297758.html
    One thing I have noticed is that going to work costs you a fortune in travel and meals etc. My fuel costs are a third of what they were and As I have time to make lunch etc I spend very little on last minute sarnies etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hmm, a Ducati near the sea ?? :thinkingface:
    :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information