1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Race Gloves

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Pablo Pirate, Aug 27, 2016.

1. I have Racer gloves. Tested on a high side at Clearways. Nothing fell to bits or wore through. Extremely comfortable and supple and also a good price.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a pair of gloves? My crash at Craners was pretty quick, a broken and now plated left wrist and muscle damaged right shoulder.
    Kevlar stitching might be the way forward on the fingers section, it's the way and type of crash that determines the gloves performance it seems. Thanks to all for the feedback tho I'm non the wiser about which gloves to try next!

#42 andy1814, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. The problem with the Kevlar stitching is (apparently) that it rips through the leather in a heavy crash so makes it less likely you can get the item repaired. I'm not sure how that applies to gloves though since they are difficult to repair in the fingers anyhow as the more expensive ones are blind stitched from the inside which you couldn't recreate without pulling them all apart again. I'm not 100% certain on all this but thats my understanding. As I said I'm yet to find the ideal glove as well. It might be that the best you can ask for if you are expecting crashes is that it saves you from injury and damages in a way that is repairable rather than a one crash wonder like many of the cheaper leathers in particular. My SPIDI leathers have had three pretty major repairs and can probably still be repaired again after the big 120mph highside I had in Jerez last month.

4. A question for all the guys wearing the Kushitani's. I like the look and am seriously tempted but the lack of scaphoid protection bothers me (mine is pinned and I really don't want to smash it up again)... am I right to be concerned/should I look elsewhere?

5. i was the same until i read up and learned a bit more about the funky gel stuff in lieu. it hardens up in the event of impact a bit like d30 impact protection. what swung it for me was speaking to someone at a bike shop who steered me away from the brands he sold because he had crashed in the kushis!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I've got an old pair of Kushis and I think they're great. That D30 and SasTec etc type materials are the best I've come across and you can buy basic protectors made out of the stuff very cheaply, if you wanted extra protection it would be easy to add a layer of it to almost any section of protective gear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'd also advocate Kushitanis. Like putting your hand up a velvet arsehole. Great feel and fit and great quality.

8. Think I'll throw my view in here as the thread has been re-kindled. I've tried all sorts over the years, astars, dainese, rst and KTM own branded to name a few and I'm currently wearing the knox handroids for racing. Now I'm not just saying it because they sponsor me but they are good. Gloves are a very personal thing as with most gear and not all manufacturers will suit all riders in terms of fitment but for me the Knox gloves fit straight out of the packet and are fairly quick to break in. Now assuming you're not a crasher then they will last well. I wore a single pair all of last season in all weathers for both BSB and Club racing/trackdays and they are still more than usable. I also crashed a few times last season and the only issue I had was a small tear on the little finger after a reasonably slow off at Luffield, Silverstone. I think that was caused by my hand being under the clip on when I initially hit the tarmac. Knox repaired it easily for me. Conversely I had absolutely no issues with the same pair of gloves after two fast crashes at Donington in one weekend (see pics), it all depends on where you put your hands in a crash I think. I tend to try and keep my hands away from the ground until I've slowed a little in a crash to prevent shoulder and arm injuries but thinking about such things when you realise there's no saving it is difficult. Best bet is to keep it shiny side up. Crash 1 followed by Crash 2 ;)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. I too wear handroids. Lovely gloves and get on really well with them but I did not find them quick to break in. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat though so that says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. My only complaint with handroids are the scaphoid protection plastic bit. Which should you have already broken this, which I have, after a while that plastic bit can cause it to give me that dull shaphache. As it can press against it over prolonged riding.

11. Really important the fit bit. if they dont fit you well how can you command the bike. and if you dont command the bike there's an increased chance of falling off.

12. It's not the lack of armour - I know the memory foam they use is top notch, it's the lack of a scaphoid slider that bothers me. In an off the leather grips the tarmac and sends the shock through to your hand. Having my wrist pinned and plated I'd rather not take the chance so I'm gonna plump for the handroids.

Thanks for all the advice/opinions guys.

13. Talk to Craig at Moto Rapido, as of this week (ish) they will be a Held retailer. I've ordered a pair of Titan Evos based on my experience with a pair of Ducati branded Held touring gloves. Andy[/QUOTE]
    Held sent what turned out to be fortunate, the wrong colour gloves. When I tried the size 12 on that the area rep had recommended, the middle finger was so short, all the other fingers on the glove stood off the root of my fingers. The made to measure service Held offer is not for the Titan but the one down which doesn't have the little finger bridge which is essential for me (left hand little finger re-attached after being severed by a concrete lintel the dropped onto my hand many years ago). Will stick with the AS GP Pros for now. Andy

14. Furygan fit-r2, just new out and are something else in the quality/ comfort, just got mine
    2017-05-20 21.21.15.jpg

15. look good and like all their gear im sure it will take a battering

16. I have always had a good experience with Racer gloves. They start at quite expensive and then just get more expensive but you get what you pay for.

last well
    Comfortable
    Kangaroo leather on the fingers for good feel
    Good ventilation

• Like Like x 1
  17. Genuinely think Held are the best / safest gloves.

I'm running handroids which are good and have survived a few crashes. But I’m only using them because I got them very cheap.

held all day long

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I have a pair of Held Gloves also. They are comfortable and I do like them but the way that I ride with my hands right at the out side of the bars means the scratch up the bar end weights on my K1300S. They can be quite abrasive. They are well made and I would consider another pair, but would check the palms of them first

I expect some people’s hands fit some gloves better than others.

the last gloves I bought were Arma, they survived an 80mph crash at Aragon and they may survive another but only just

• Like Like x 1
  19. I had a lowside last season where I got stuck with the bike. Astars leathers were destroyed. The left forearm, leg and hip were worn through and torn
    up too, but the glove, Dainese full metal, only opened a couple of stitches on the doubled layer. They passed race scrutineering to ride again later.

That'll do for me.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information