1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Tank Bag For Monster 1200?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Ayman, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Looking at buying a tank bag to store locks, gloves and other small items on my commute. I want to make sure that the bag doesn't scratch the tank.

Shortlist is down to 2:
    SW motech evo engage (better looking, follows tank contours but worried it might scratch the tank)
    Givi ST602

Anyone used either of these bags or want to throw in some other options?

Thanks

2. I’ve got the Givi on my Multistrada. Just the right size to not get in the way. Simple to fit and seems well made. I’ve only had it a few months but it gets a big thumbs up from me (I wanted it for exactly what you say you do too).

33827DCF-8B09-49DA-BF1A-8D936D441283.jpeg

7A71DA85-11C2-48D2-ADA0-9D82A506AD90.jpeg

847728CD-34DF-4512-B762-611C7F1F3C79.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have been using a magnetic tank bag on my Monster, never scratched it at all. However I don’t use it everyday. Decided to make a change as I don’t like the big flaps on the side where the magnets reside.

Just got a Givi 602 from my son for Christmas. I like the way you can clip it on and off quick. It doesn’t get in the way of the clocks.

I looked at the Motech one as well. Their fixing system takes up a lot of room in the bag.

Check out the Bagster tank cover system. You can then clip different sized bags onto your tank according to needs. I find that feature useful. Tank cover protects the tank but you do tend to wind up living with it on the tank all the time. Slightly more fiddly to get the bag on and off compared to the Givi.

4. Thread moved

5. The SW Motech tank bags have a rigid base and because they attach to a ring around the fuel filler the bag is suspended several millimetres above the tank. So they will not scratch the tank. I have been using an SW Motech Trip for years on both a M1100evo and SF848. I also have an Engage which I only used a few times, which could be yours for a bargain price. I prefer my old Trip, but the Engage looks better and works perfectly.

6. @SunEye I might be interested in the Engage if @Ayman is not, first refusal for him as he started the thread. Please pm me the details though.
    Thank you

7. Although these pics are on my previous bike the fitment is similar on my Multistrada, might give you an idea for how these Givi bags might fit on your Monster.

ST602
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

XS307
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ST603
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The ST602 or, if you want a bit more capacity, the ST603 would probably be your best bet. The XS307 is surplus to my requirement and is for sale but probably not suited to your tank. The ST603 has a baseplate that can be adjusted back and forth on the bag a bit to make the contour of the bag fit the tank better. The ST602 is my go-to tank bag to keep useful bits and pieces such as passport, toll money, phone etc. close to hand when touring. The ST603 could be handy for two up touring when luggage capacity dictates a bit more room is needed, it's expandable too.

#7 Bumpkin, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  8. Thanks SunEye. How much are you looking for? If I don't take it, it sounds like you have a buyer either way!

Will look for some pics of the engage on the monster.

9. Yeah, I looked at the bagster but I'll probably only use the tank bag 50% of the time and fancy a system thats barely noticeable when the bag is removed.

10. Very useful, thanks! The 602 is for daily rides so won't need to put much in it. I assume I can use the same tank fitting for the 603 too? Might look to buy a larger bag in future for longer trips.

11. Yep, the same ring for all Givi tanklock bags so you can swap depending on your needs.

There's a new range from Givi that includes a keyed lock on the ring, TankLockED I think they're called. Can't really see the point as thieves could still unzip, or cut, the bag and take the contents. Maybe it would thwart a grab for the bag at lights or a petrol stop if the perp knew how it was attached I suppose. The ST602 is so easily portable I just remove it and take it with me.

#11 Bumpkin, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. This is a picture of my tank bag
    [​IMG]
    £80 plus postage.
    You will need to purchase an appropriate tank mounting ring for your bike. They cost £25-£30. I may have the one from my M1100. I will have a look for it when I get home. I can post more pictures next week. At the moment I’m away from home.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Just ordered the Givi ST602 as it seems to fit the Monster 1200s tank better, SW Motech leaves quite a big gap based on pictures online. @dukesox the SW Motech is yours if you want it...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I use the sport bag from SW Motech as shown in the photo. Never had a issues 1 think about the GIVI i noticed on a BMWS1000RR which a mate has is the screws came out at the base (ring) on the bag, so he couldn't use it for a few days.

IMG_0402.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information