1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Betty Is Dead!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Bluehawk, Aug 15, 2017.

1. IMG_2980.JPG IMG_2981.JPG
    Well, that's the end of that...

Out today for about 50mls. I thought it was running a little hot today and when I pulled up for a fish supper the clutch wouldn't engage neutral.

Thought it was a little odd, but after I'd had my fish, I jumped on again and away I went.

No particular drama after that, opened it up on a straight and 1st I knew a light on the dash, no drive and lots of oil over my left foot. No drama.

You can see the case is split at the water pump and below, but full autopsy won't be until I've time to get fairings off.

Question is, what now?

1. Straight replace with second hand engine.

2. Get a second hand one and get it stripped, blueprinted and painted. Full on restoration...

3. Strip it and sell for parts.

As usual, answers on a postcard please...

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  2. Jesus, no idea, but Jesus. Unlucky dude. Sorry for your loss.:broken_heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Not 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oh no!!!! o_O

5. Find an engine, get it serviced, install and go :)

Keep yours as spares

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. Monster rebuild!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 4. Get pissed and ignore everything as a coping mechanism. And repeat.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I do hate seeing great bikes get broken for parts :weary_face:

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Poo :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Update and upgrade everytime you make a good thing better

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I know....

I don't know why, but I'm remarkably calm about it.

I think it's because it could have been a lot messier. Especially when it emptied itself all over the road.

Got a feeling that a deep dump 999s engine might be in the hens teeth category.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Try Loiugi Moto and other places, see if they have anything or know of anything. How about throwing a larger motor in there (if you can find one)?

13. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Duca...824009?hash=item3d197fffc9:g:GE8AAOSw2x1XKlLS
    Probably needs a refresh but discounted to a good price - + shipping unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I might be asking how long a piece of string is, but how difficult is it to transplant a 1098?

15. @Nelson may be able to help, given he's done a few in 916 so would now how the engine fits compared to 996 motor. If a 998 motor fits in, maybe 1098 is similar?

16. Ask Ducati for a V4 engine as a gesture of goodwill :)
    On a serious note, sorry to see that..as you wrote could have ended a lot worse with all that oil around the rear wheel.
    With patience you might find a reasonably priced good engine or case.
    Was there any knocking noise before it happened?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Really sorry for your loss . Keep it alive its too good looking and performs too good to break it up .

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nope, no knocking.

19. I can''t quite see which casing.
    Is it just the alt cover one or main engine case?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information