1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Betty Is Dead!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Bluehawk, Aug 15, 2017.

1. I'd guess as birdie said. Mains failing causing stress to the cover support bearing.
    Mine broke the bearing up rather than cracking the casing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anglian bearings in Peterborough stock mains at a reasonable price.

3. I'd be rebuilding and blueprinting or, putting a bigger motor in there...probably the latter....I'd love to put an 1198 in my hyper....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Would I be right in saying that a well done engine transplant will make the bike more valuable?....wolf in sheep's clothing type thing....

5. I would vote for NO, as we can see now the "classic" bikes are worth a lot more if kept original.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I'd say potentially not - it reduces the number of people looking to buy it
    1) the "future classic" brigade won't be interested
    2) it will be a potential hassle to insure, so lots of people won't be interested in case they can't insure it
    3) a sprots bike with a bigger engine isn't a terribly well-disguised wolf is it? It's more of a big-wolf-in-smaller-wolf's-clothing. If you could tuck the engine into a C90...
    4) won't most people who want to own one want to do it themselves?

That's not to say don't do it, but I don't see it as an investment. Unless you really are Allen Millyard (and then you wouldn't be fitting just one, would you...)

Mike

7. Must be me then....if I was looking for a hyper and one came up with an 1198 motor in it I'd have that like a shot...

8. Yes I do but it's nowhere near as straightforward as swapping the engine for another 999 motor or the OP getting his one rebuilt the latter being the option I'd recommend if the OP is happy with the power/torque his bike had.

FWIW the 1198 engines are much lighter and far more torquey than the 999 units and a transplant is the best route for gaining decent power and torque and losing weight but the bike will be unusable for a while whilst figuring out exhausts and the airbox let alone the electronics and fuel injection.

9. Ouchie, that's low.

10. IMG_3003.JPG IMG_2993.JPG

Well this is where we are today. Spent the afternoon stripping it down. Major play in the shaft and the end bearing is trashed, just the inner race left. Stator destroyed, outer casing and the water pump housing. Water pump ok fwiw..

As an aside. Didn't realise how grubby the bike had got and so I've starting boxing bits for refurb, painting and replacement.

I'm going to get the engine redone as is. Everything else is going to get overhauled. All the fairings painted to original spec. I've a couple of scratches on the frame that I should be able to get touched in. Front and rear suspension overhauled as well and engine painted to original. Same with the headlamp assembly possibly.

Some of the carbon fibre is looking a bit tired, so either replace or re lacquer. Everything else just needs a deep clean.

A set of samco hoses as well I think..

All other suggestions welcome. I feel a list coming on. Not too bothered if it takes me a year to get it back into shape. Love the bike, this is just an excuse to get it the way I want.(he tells himself).

If I'd gone down the route of a panigale or something new, I'd have been looking to throw another 10k on top of what I have here. This way I spend half of that and hopefully shouldn't be too far out in value in a couple of years. Not that I was bothered about that.

#50 Bluehawk, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  11. No. Far less. And more niche to sell

12. It really is just me.....carrying a torch one this one...but...looks like he's got a plan so thats cool.

13. Sound slike a plan :upyeah: Price all up before buying: replacement motor then have that blueprinted may still work out cheaper if you have to buy a new crank!:astonished:

14. Can I have your clutch slave ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Tooooooo soon...:eek:

16. SORRY, but seriously I hope you get it sorted, I had a 999 as a loan bike for a week, awesome bit of kit.
    [​IMG]

17. Possibly. Thinking of changing to black or gold as it's a bit pink in anodised....

18. Another thing I've noticed is how easy it is to strip. Mostly Allen keys and nothing really tricky apart from the exhaust at the manifold.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Oh and I thought that was just the camera flash. It's ok you can keep it :)

20. I am just waitng on delivery of a full system for my 1198 looked at the manifold and the bolts and nuts look a little rusty I am dreading getting them undone. Might have to start spraying with penetrating stuff for a few days before I attack it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information