1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike For Commuting

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by evoarrow, Apr 18, 2018.

1. If it were me, and no motorways involved, I'd get one of the big scooters. They look like fun, have carrying capacity and offer some weather protection.

Oops, just seen motorway and no scooters, ignore the above.

Lesson to self... don't skim read.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. @Dave
    Currently in Spain :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. I got an S1000R for my commuting, and think it may actually be the best bike i have ever ridden. Just does everything, effortlessly. Looks are subjective, but then so are mine (have a wonky eye too, much like the bike).

It poodles around town like a scooter, fantastic fuelling, comfortable seat, then get it on the M1 and it goes like a rocket. I have also shifted that feeling i used to have with the Ducati where it was always 50/50 if it would start after a meeting (and of course everybody would be looking at it).

• Like Like x 1
  4. I know this feeling well, I have 2 Ducatis and 9 times out of 10 initially they wont start, I have to remove the key, put it back and then bingo...they start. This only happens when I`m out , both as good as gold starting at home or at work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scrambler would be a good tool for that, if you want at least a little 'style'.

GSR or MT would do everything you need, or equivalent CB. Too much choice! Or how about a 690 Duke?

• Like Like x 2
  6. I had one, dct version, ride is ok, but bit boring and underpowered, but would make good commuter bike

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Heads turned. Many thanks for the responses, I look at the suggested bikes, so thank you. Had a versys 650 and was great bike. Cheap runner.
    I do like KTM but I reckon expensive.
    CB500, sounds slow, but yeh, good commuter.
    BMW yep, go like stink but I like top boxes and want to stay away from backpacks.
    If I lived and worked in town I would ride a scooter.
    Still looking, too much choice

8. The S1000R has loops that come from the seat, to take Kriega luggage - that's what i do on mine. That and the BMW tank bag.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seen the new BMW F850GS, for sale. Tempted. 20k miles on my bike now so need to move soon

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Have you thought of a suzuki v strom 650?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Anyone ride, own or have experience of the triumph tiger 800?

Only down side I believe is that servicing can be expensive. I know they are ugly but it would suit my needs. Over 12k for top of range so not cheap.

Ducati are defo getting good results with both service costs and service intervals.

12. Rode one as a loan bike when I had my incident, rode for about 30mile and brought it back, I didn’t like it

13. i will sell you my R nine T, its done 3000 miles and is like new.

14. They are lovely bikes but it’s just not what I’m after. I’ve no doubt it’s well looked after, but just not for my use. Thanks anyway :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I've ridden them a few times. Light and comfortable with nimble handling. Go OK when you wind them up. Certainly as good as an 800 or 850 GS.

Haven't owned one but I know a couple of people who have and they are apparently tough and reliable. Quite a few have gone over the 100,000 mile mark. The finish quality is good as well. The engine isn't as characterful as the 1050 or 675 triples and not long-legged like the 1200 but still good fun and it would make a good commuter bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. tiger 800 is a cracking little bike, my BBF has just stripped his accessories off his and px'ed it for a Speed RS. It was a very reliable characterful bike. Seat was a PITA, so he has a custom seat if you want his number if you buy one. His bike went to A1 in York, it was a special edition red framed bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. 0CF44810-F31C-4F7D-A6DE-5F38431004DB.jpeg My BMW F800GSA T is gone, traded her in today, 21k miles. Going to miss that bike. Absolutely loved that thing.

So now on a new Triumph Tiger 800 XCA. Only just rode home, some 10mile. Very smooth engine, loads of rider modes plus a user mode, colour screen, adjustable suspension front and rear, heated seat and grips, chargers bla bla bla its a fairly loaded bike. But once everything is dialed in, I doubt I will change much.

Thank you all for the suggestions, and taking time to post. I will own a KTM someday, someday :p

I like the adventure style bikes, suits me for day to day use year round. Anyway, hoping for many happy miles.

As per usual, no test ride, just jumped and away home, but first impression, very happy.

Yes, I went and got the bin, it’s a must.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Nice looking bike. Hope you'll be happy with it. I'm a bit of a fan of the 1200 Tiger but went for an orange V-twin instead. The Triumph luggage is worth having. Basically rebadged Givi Outback which is good stuff. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information