1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Lift Question

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Oly, May 11, 2019.

1. Ive just purchased a sealey mc454 bike lift.
    anyone use one of these? is there a knack to getting it on there and securing it by yourself?
    i dont feel the front wheel chock will hold it up whilst i attach tie downs.
    its for a multistrada 1260. any advice appreciated

2. I don't have an MS but I find the FW chock is sufficient to hold the bike until I get it on the RW paddock stand.

Then I'm happy.

3. i have a rear paddock stand, not sure if the stand is wide enough. will try that later

4. Rejoice! Wave goodbye to aching knees and copious amounts of cursing!

You'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago... enjoy ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Put some plywood that is wide enough on your bike lift.

TB

6. Make a wedge of wood for the rear of the front tyre.

7. The lift manual says use the centre stand.
    Will this not pull the bike back out of the front wheel chock?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes, it would but can you not push the bike 'too' far forward then attach the wheel chock after the Centre stand lift?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yes I need to move the stop further out and that’s possible.

10. Did you see my attachment on your disaster thread? You need the proper front wheel clamp attachment for your lift :eyes:

11. Yes I take it that the. Offer front wheel
    Brace will hold the bike?

12. Why would you need the front wheel choke if the bike is on the center stand?
    I would pull the bike on the centre stand than add 2 straps around the footpegs (or other place if you plan to work around this area)
    That choke should have some sort of additional "resting" point in the front side at 11:00 o'clock.

13. That’s what it’s designed to do I think! At least until you get a paddock stand on it - always strap it too.
    Personally I would use a paddock stand or abba stand on the platform rather than the centre stand...

• Like Like x 1
  14. This is good advice but the strapping-down bit is only really necessary if you intend to get onto the bike while it is up there and ride it like a mechanical bull.

15. I have a paddock stand for the rear but unfortunately it’s wider than the lift.

16. See post 5 :upyeah:

17. As has been said - you can not use the front clamp and pull it on the centre stand..

Normally the front clamp has a stop to stop you going too far when loading - so this stops you getting the clamp on the wheel when its on the centre stand as the centre stand pulls bike back maybe 6 to 8"..

As you see below - my clamp slides on runners so i could have still used it on the multi - by pushing it from front to back.

However.

When i had my Multi on the lift - I used to open the front wheel clamp wide - wheel bike on - put it on centre stand.

If I was going to work on it - not just clean it - I would strap the handlebars to the table - using - soft loops around the grips and semi auto ratchet clamps attached to the table.

For cleaning - just the centre stand is enough (on my lift)

upload_2019-5-16_16-19-4.png

I have a really strong front wheel clamp and found that for the multi it just was not strong enough to hold the wheel and the bike would pull out slowly... so you still needed to strap it.. plus tightening the clamp is difficult..

You can see the straps and clamp - neither in use.. as I use a centre lift on Scrambler. IMG_1953.JPG

My recommendation would be centre stand and these sprung loaded ratchet straps with soft loops around the bars.

If you need to remove the front wheel - still use the centre stand, rear ratchet straps around the rear foot pegs - to pull bike back and rear wheel in contact - front in the air - and then the front straps to the bars to steady left to right.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I used to use one of them on my VFR1200 - until it also pulled itself out and left me supporting the VFR in a strange position... luckily phone was handy so called for help... so just be cautious even with those..

19. 8F5DDA84-BBC1-4CC9-8A02-4E40D4051BB4.jpeg 7A1D5115-65A7-4FCD-A0C3-87E37720FC67.jpeg B95600E3-7302-4AD7-A7EB-F9CE75F0F959.jpeg Well it’s on. I have decided to not use the centre stand as it slides around when putting it on and also when trying to get it off. Plus the back wheel is a foot off the floor when it’s on it. So I’ve used the new improved front wheel clamp and two ratchet straps. The ramp seems only just long enough. Thoughts on if it’s safe?

2A0CF9F3-CA04-48CA-8481-04E537DE0447.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information