1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Number 2

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by ibgarrow, Oct 13, 2021.

1. My parents/family home is in Stocksfield!

2. Just down the road, then. I’m a little more rural.

3. Street Triple - fab second bike (unless your first bike is a Street Triple)

• Like Like x 1
  4. The trouble with that is the panigale will be left at home more often than not .

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Blissful, but get yourself a ride on Kubota mower if you haven't already....this makes life very easy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Another option has popped up! Hypermotard 796. 2010 with mileage approaching the magic 15K mark. Lots of difference between it and the Panigale, so enticing me. And it keeps me on brand. But it’s a 3 hour drive away.
    Opinions? Experiences?

7. I had a 796 for a couple of years.

Nice enough bike to ride, comfy and easy to live with. Not the most inspiring or exciting bike but pleasant.

I ran it as a second bike, toured italy and a few isle of man trips.

Very frugal

• Like Like x 1
  8. Further developments: Update-spoilt for choice
    Your thoughts on a) Monster 796 and b) KTM 690 SM R
    Similar prices, age and mileage.
    Opinions/experiences/thoughts welcomed

Monster negatives: suspension (non-adjustable and poor) positives: brand, build quality, bhp/kg
    KTM negatives: resale value vibrations positives: Chuckability, suspension better

#28 ibgarrow, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  9. KTM 690 SM-R or SMC-R ?

The SM was derived from the Duke 3 , shorter suspension, lattice style swingarm .. usually called a beaky due to the front mudguard.

SMC-R is similar to the Enduro R , longer suspension, petrol tank at the rear of the bike and the more desirable model.

10. SM, not the SMC
    The latter is out of my budget

#30 ibgarrow, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021

11. I've never owned an SM but have had a Duke 3 which it was based on , owned an End-R and have an SMC at the moment, all of them the earlier 654cc engines.

They all make for great fun bikes whether that's the earlier or later models.

Yes they vibrate but then it's a single cylinder bike over 600cc so it's never going to be vibration free IMO... With the addition of a better seat on my SMC I've managed a fair few 170 mile + days which is far enough on any bike with no wind protection let alone one that vibrates :D

Servicing is simple enough although the valve train needs checking every year as rocker arm failure isn't unheard of. Takes me about an hour including a valve clearance check.

Very frugal , high 50's low 60's mpg no matter how there ridden .

As a second bike they make alot of sense. As an only bike , maybe not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Which version?

13. I’ve now escalated from a 640 SM at c £3K to a 690 @ £4K! Even contemplating an Aprilia SXV & £4.5K
    Bike inflation

14. Heart really fancies the SXV 550 but head warning me against it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yup. I’ve read and viewed everything I can find on t’interweb. The nearer SXV is a 2007, which is the one to avoid if poss. The other is a long way away (Stamford) and £1K dearer, but a later 2008 model.

16. More progress here on the next project. There’s an Aprilia SXV 550 near me going around the £2K region. Not road legal but I can get the necessary parts. Should I?

17. As you’ll be aware they require a high level of maintenance, measured in hours not distance.

I would at 2k, close to buying one 2 years ago, I regret not purchasing it.

Met a chap on a track day with 2 one set up for wet the other for dry weather.

There’s a Facebook page for them.

However now I’d opt for a Husky 701 just because of longevity, a sxv would just be too precious for me.

#38 DucatiScud, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
Do Not Sell My Personal Information