1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Bike Overheating With Smoke

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by psych0hans, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Fingers crossed... I definitely can’t afford to fix engine damage... :scream:

2. Hopefully it was an electronic non-start rather than a mechanical one. If the temp sensor dropped down to the headers, hopefully it was picking up the header temp and electronically stopping the bike. The steam was hopefully just a bit of coolant on the headers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. So this mechanic... you gonna kill him and dump his body in a river yes?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Water less coolant and water wetter are completely different products. Regular coolant is banned from use in racing due to its slippery nature, however water wetter is allowed and provides some lubrication to the pump seals and also helps heat transfer from the engine to the coolant. An engine just running water will run cooler than one with antifreeze.
    Waterless coolant is a relatively new thing, probably more suited to classic vehicles where corrosion inhibition is more important than anything else. I've heard the same thing , they can run hotter using that stuff. Hope its an easy fix. Running recommended antifreeze, in a slightly weaker mix may help drop temperatures slightly and provide enough protection from corrosion/freezing, a simple hydrometer will test the specific gravity of the coolant mix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hi, thanks for asking. A new thermostat unit has been ordered and work will proceed once that comes in and is installed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My money is still on thermostat being knocked/snapped out of its housing and falling somewhere hot enough to stop the bike turning on. The steam is coolant spraying onto the headers from where the thermostat snapped.

Fingers crossed that’s all it is anyway :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. So...?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nothing as of yet, they are still waiting on a new thermostat to fit before going ahead with anything else. I'm sure it's going to take them a while... Will definitely post an update as soon as it's done. Thank you for asking :)

9. It's neither sadly and a total beatch to get to and to remove the two intercylinder hoses. Access is very restricted but you have got to assume that if it caused the thermostat to self detonate, then the damage may very well extend beyond this component alone. A long term (though not necessarily cheaper option) would be a MAC radiator kit if you are going to track the bike, which has been extensively used by several owners on the US forum with no adverse effects and significantly cooler running temperatures.

http://www.macradiators.com/en/catalog/ducati

10. Sooooo... I finally got an update for my bike yesterday and it’s not pretty... All this because of a coolant change... ‍♂️
    To quote the Ducati mech -
    B06105BB-2FB7-4FD5-B16E-3DA64704CE31.jpeg E26D0BB6-DDCE-44F6-9209-C090E7BCCBEE.jpeg 351E03D7-FB28-47DB-A274-01D67870B7BA.jpeg 4658E037-61CB-4C6C-837D-C4AF0A9B3AC5.jpeg 35FE1620-7346-4C42-A224-B89BC2ADAA94.jpeg

#31 psych0hans, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    • WTF WTF x 1
  11. Sorry to hear that buddy :(
    What's needed to get back on the road ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. He's going to be taking the engine apart and cleaning the residue left behind by the water wetter and take it from there. No parts to be replaced, apart from the broken thermostat, but a shit load of labor... :worried:

13. So about the original mechanic......

14. Can you claim on the original mechanics liability insurance?

15. As has been said, Water Wetter is not a coolant, it is an additive. It is intended to be added to your coolant, not to replace it.
    Can’t help suspecting that the mechanic has simply drained the original coolant and replaced it entirely with additive.
    Either that or he has used an entire bottle, rather than an amount proportional to coolant capacity. I suspect the former though.
    Water Wetter is an established product that has been on the market for years, if it did this to engines when used as instructed it wouldn’t have lasted five minutes.
    Imho, It is almost certainly the mechanic at fault rather than the product.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Honestly, I was the one who insisted on using water wetter, falling for the claims on the bottle. Also, i figured since it works on the track, it would work on the street as well, boy was I wrong...

17. I'm quiet certain the mech mixed it in the correct ratio, as stated on the bottle... I know this because I gave him, both the water wetter and the distilled water to put in. Is it possible that he simply didn't put in enough?

18. gutted for you, looks an awful mess. if it's any source of comfort, I have learned a lesson from your problem!

good luck in getting it sorted at not too much cost.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Who knows if he put in enough?
    What is certain is that this is not a normal consequence of using Water Wetter.
    It might be worth emailing them to see what their take on it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information