1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Bike Protection For Touring...

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pcn1, Feb 22, 2021.

1. I prefer to be known as Sahara Sunset now Paul!:laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. I quite like the look of the Evotech handguard protectors, but £150 is more than a handguard assembly! Unless anyone has an Evotech discount code?

3. lol I never got much chance to ride it in all honesty. Bought last Jan but barely been outside with all the Covid restrictions :(

Buying goodies for it and cleaning it had to substitute for riding it ....

Hopefully it will get some serious use this year though.

4. Good looking machine indeed. Let's hope you get more out of it this year, as do the rest of us biking nutters :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Like several other replies don't worry! Don't overload yourself with extra stuff just in case - its sods law you will need something you didn't bring! Its good advice to make sure your tyres have plenty of tread though.

A good small toolkit, duct tape, a few cable ties, spare bulbs, puncture repair kit and maybe lever protection. I am not familiar with the 1260 but maybe have the manual in PDF on your phone just in case some electrical settings need adjusting. If you did happen to have a problem, you will be surprised how many people will stop to help.

That's it - have a great time. Oh, and don't plan it military style, allow for a bit of flexibility.

6. Seems like you have many good hints and tips here, but don’t forget to pay attention to your clothing, ie kit you know works, doesn’t leak, keeps you warm/cool, comfortable and safe. You are more important than the bike.

#26 michel couque, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. "Doesn't leek".... have you a prejudice against green and white, elongated vegetables then MC? Asking for e fellow veggie!:D

8. "e" = "a" :eek:

9. I don’t know what you could possube referring to?

• Funny Funny x 1

10. Great point about planning flexibility. Our 2018 euro trip was planned down to hotels booked and routes saved to sat nav. We had a great laugh and saw some amazing roads and sights we’d planned for. Mate spent a good while doing the planning thou. Bloody hot weather also. In 2019, got the Eurostar and basically spent a week following the good weather and using the sat nav to take us on the best roads available. saw some amazing places. When stopped for afternoon or end of day beer broke out booking.com and sorted the accommodation. Great laugh. Felt more like an adventure and avoided the shag and hassle of agreeing a route. Modern tech can be a great thing.

Thinking next trip might get the bikes couriered down to Southern Europe so we spend the time riding in the warmer climate and easier days rather than trying to press on ‘to get there’. Or poss ferry to Spain (few cheeky beers and you are there) and then the picos.

11. Ferry to Spain is great, tipping you out virtually straight into the Picos or just a short ride from the Pyrenees, the west coast of France is less appealing in terms of roads.

However, to me crossing the Channel and riding across France to other locations, whilst taking a day or two, are all part of the journey. An opportunity to get 'your feet under the table' as it were. Admittedly I usually spend half of the first day on the autoroute getting away from the coast save for a stop for coffee in a village bar off the route. With the luxury of two weeks, which is what I usually allow, this method nicely tops and tails the trip. I could understand if you can only take a week but IMO you're missing out.

• Like Like x 3
  12. The Dunnster - you got it on one! Much more of an adventure, let the trip evolve and as you say you can also follow the weather. Many of my trips evolve by getting away from bad weather, even if its only getting to the other side of a mountain. After a ferry to Santander I literally had the choice to go either way, Piocs or Pyrenees and I made my decision because the weather one way was very bad. I felt sorry for the people who had booked and were heading into the storm!

13. I’ve done both but in the end I feel much more comfortable with a planned route (even if it’s adapted later) and some confirmed accommodation.

My wife and I did a tour round France soon after we were married (late 80’s) and didn’t book anything. We had a rough plan of places we wanted to visit but just started looking for hotels from about 4pm each day. If we found somewhere we liked we might stay an extra day.

However sometimes we wouldn’t find anything nice looking and usually in desperation we would find a place by 6-7 pm which was often less than ideal with a poly room above the kitchens. Of course the next morning we would drive 2 miles down the road and pass a lovely hotel and Gastronomic restaurant!

I agree it’s a lot easier now with Booking.com etc

14. Fair play, its does depend on your outlook. I have travelled extensively over many countries on my bike and very rarely book ahead but that's just me. Somedays are easier than others I admit but I always like flexibility over a fixed route. I have never not found anywhere to stay though. However, I have met many people who think the opposite and would worry if they didn't have something booked ahead so each to their own.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Done loads of Europe touring. Big tip....Before you load up......lay out all the stuff you think you're going to need........and then bin half of it :D
    Like I didn't :confused: IMG_0625 (2).JPG

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Hi Jonnybiscuit, good advice but I have seen worse! Nicely packed though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Unless i was gouing half way round the world, i would never bother with panniers again. They take away one of the biggest assets a bike has, being able to filter in heavy traffic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. I agree if solo, a good dry bag on the back would suffice but if, like me you travel two up with camping and cooking gear then its the only way!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. There is that. I must confess though i have only ever used panniers a handful of times and was always aware how much wider the bike became, i guess if you ride that way often then you get used to it. A pillion slows things down a touch anyway.

20. It does make a difference on the bike. I use soft panniers and on my current bike, ST4S, they hang above the exhausts so are not very wide. However, if as on some bikes, they have a high exhaust(s) then the panniers will have to be wider, probably on frames as well. Even so they are not that bad if you keep your pannier size to say about 30 litres each.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information