1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Theft

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by mike willis, Mar 5, 2018.

1. i had my van broken into a while ago, dead locks fitted, camera up, good outside lights, no more trouble, it works.

2. This man had a good clear up rate:upyeah: the_equalizer.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. A cunning plan is needed Baldrick.

No surprise it turned up in East London. As the video shows these guys believe they are completely beyond the law because they more or less are. No Police interest.

It's classic, 4 guys on 2 scoots dressed in black armed with god knows what and a cordless angle grinder. Welcome to 'Lawless London'.

We are paying for it financially too. My premium is double what it would be if I lived outside London. I know this for a fact because I checked at renewal. Who can blame the insurance companies? I'm surprised they take on the risk at all.

The rate that insurance companies are paying out I'd have thought it was in their interest to take some kind of investigative action.

This fight/illegal business will go on until something is seriously done to stop it. Everything we do these lowlife's will counter.
    Chains= cordless grinders. Trackers= Jammers. Etc,etc.

People say to me 'you're so paranoid about theft'. I bloody well am and that's why.

If they thought they might get their fingers cut off that would most likely stop them.

Makes my blood boil too. Rant probably not over.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. It is not that there is no police interest - I'm sure they would love to catch the cnuts and in some cases do, but they haven't got the resources and providing people are willing to pay premiums there is no impetus on the insurance companies to investigate: they simply assess the risk and charge accordingly.

it's a lucrative business for the thieving scumbags
    - Bikes aren't made with enough security devices built in.
    - there is not enough resource to catch the cnuts
    - punishment is not sufficient to be a deterrent
    - there seems to be a lot of demand for stolen bits and a strong export market with not enough checks on what goes out.

it's not paranoia, bikes theft is up 600%, all of the things above you have no control over: The only thing you can reasonably do is increase the level of security you deploy to move it to your neighbour.

What i have done: (appreciate not everyone is lucky enough to have a garage)
    - It's out of view in a garage
    - Improved the garage door (roller so harder to break into than an up and over)
    - Improved the side door into the garage.
    - Security lights
    - Locked to a ground anchor with a bloody big chain (and at an awkward angle)
    - Tracker
    - integrated disc lock
    - I go fast enough that it was unlikely that anyone could follow me home - if they can keep up they are either racing or following (i'm sure this won't be a good defence if i'm ever stopped for speeding).. in the rare case someone can keep up - i do a detour to suss out what their intention is.
    - only really used for leisure and doesn't leave my sight when i'm out and about, but i only put the disc lock on.
    - Work car park when commuting is visible

Next week or so - cameras installed in and outside garage

I also got rid of my Golf R as they are getting pinched at an alarming rate - an SQ5 was stolen a few weeks ago from round the corner - they just walked into the house and took the keys. I didn't want it sitting outside the front of my house: it's a bit shit that you can't have 'nice' things without someone thinking they can help themselves to it they are also prepared to be violent. If i was a single man i'd say bring it on but I have 3 young children and a missus in the house and i don't want any comebacks.

ps. i'm not even in london

#44 MDUBZ, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. My golf R got stolen. It’s not even remotely funny how many of them get lifted!

I went to town on security on my new house.

6. This type of crime is endemic and the sad fact is that the more security devices manufacturers fit, the more violent thieves become to steal high value vehicles. We all have to take as much care as we can and perhaps try to look after each other as well. Bikers are a wonderful breed and having been one for almost 40 years I do grieve when I see videos of scum like these. It’s a sad indictment of our country today

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Something has to change, these little shits aren't bothered by us, the police or the courts.
    If there is no real comeback to their actions, they will carry on stealing and breaking bikes, with lovely convenient outlets online, and very little chance of being pursued or caught.
    In the meantime we will be in constant fear of losing our bikes and suffering the cost.
    Something has to change.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Would value more in-bike security personally (although I won’t put extra devices alarms or anchors on my insurance purely in case I forget one time) but there is part of me that thinks the more security the manufactures apply and make them unstealable - the more the f’kers will resort to jacking it from you while you’re warming up/at the lights with the keys in/security disabled etc.

Commute into Birmingham daily and rarely sit at lights without clutch in. Ride into London roughly once a month and weirdly feel safer there purely because of strength in numbers - probably being naive in the extreme though - glad I don’t have to go more regularly.

9. I've got some developers working as fast as poss on my app to try and help. Something that will foster an existing behaviour among bikers, to give us more visibility in to the status of our bikes. Using the community to make bikes less of a target than something physical and thus breakable. And it's free. And you get free stuff. It's gonna be ace.

Maybe we can organise a rideout in a few weeks time if I can get a prototype ready by then, so I can get your feedback?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Do they get nicked for bits or are they punted on? I ask because it's a worry for me as I work away a lot and the Mrs is home with a couple of nice cars on the drive.
    My mate had his Imprezza nicked. It was a show car, not my cup of tea but he scrubbed it up beautifully. They followed him to the gym and nicked the ignition keys from his locker! Never seen again.
    I apply the onion theory to security. The more layers the better. Concealment being number one. I also try to make my gaff harder to turn over than the guy next door type of thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Great idea. I wish you every success but might have to decline the ride out as you’re too far away for my old bones!!! Good luck with it

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stretch for me too - will have a look though when it’s up and running.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks! Will do my very best

14. Not too far from me, where in East Sussex are you?

15. They’re usually stolen to order. Often end up in Europe or the Middle East. The R’s are increasingly pinched for parts and to use in other robberies as they’re quick and robust

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. sorry i missed this - I'm in Battle. Have been trying to get the app working but had some setbacks tail end of last year. You'll be pleased to know that the finish line is in sight! Launching soon

• Like Like x 1
  17. Welcome to the forum. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information