Bike Trac Location

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by philg25, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Bought a bike(848 evo) that supposedly has a bike trac tracker fitted(never activated). I intend to remove it and set about trying to find it today. Thought it would be an easy job(trace leads from battery) but there are none. Taken off both side fairings and there is nothing obvious and before I start taking things apart that I wont be able to fit back can someone in the know private message me its likely location? I know they are fitted to negate quick removal but it's stumped me. Phoned Road Angel who were of absolutely no help at all(even before they knew I was going to remove it). Thanks in advance.

2. My friend, the only sure fire way of locating it is to ask the person who fitted it. The sender unit does look like OE equipment which I guess is one of the reasons why it's successful. Andy

3. Maybe someone stole it already.

4. Why do you want to remove it?

5. It looks a fairly big unit so thought it would be easy to find. yes, there is the chance that it doesn't exist and the two Road Angel girls I spoke to were of no help whatsoever(considered keeping it and paying subscription but not after my experience with them so far). I have my own tracker unit that I want to install.

6. Which tracker do you have? As I'm thinking of fitting one to my Honda.

7. Its a Gotek7 GL100. Served me well over the years and no subscription charges, just top up when you need to.

8. when you find it, drop me a line and I'll buy it. They are really good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. How much are they?

I just posted a thread on another forum asking for tracker recommendations.

Any experiences?

10. Hi Phil
    When the bike was in for its run in service i saw the wiring for the tracker, when the left faring was removed, it was high up towards the front, I think the unit is fitted in the front nose cone area. Ps glad you are enjoying the bike. N

11. Thanks Norman, didn't think you would have known the location. Will check it out when I've got a minute. You got yourself a bike yet?

12. Hi Phil
    I have bought a 2014 848 Streetfighter, only 600 miles and a few nice extras on it. I am picking it up in Warwick on Thursday. Its a really nice bike but no where near as eye catching as yours

13. They usually place the tracker under the seat on bikes, for GPS signal accessibility issues. Imho the best gps tracker for a bike is GT100. It sends you a notification when the bike moves if the engine is not turned on.

14. just had a quick look, and they seem to have a new one coming out in November at £69, but they are moving away form the top up system and having an annual fee of £39 (still seems pretty reasonable) Micro7 GPS Tracker - Pre Order

thanks for the link, @philg25

Pete

15. I use one of these, granted not monitored like the Road Angel Biketrac but you can see where your bike is, and has been, via their web portal or via an app (Apple and Android versions). Pretty configurable to do all sorts of things, even had it emailing the wife once I reached each hotel and ferry port on a recent tour. Subscription for tracking portal is £10/year and I run it off a GiffGaff SIM*, I topped up at the beginning of June with £10 when I fitted the thing, have toured in Spain for 10 days (so roaming, which costs more, for that period) and used a few texts setting the thing up at 5p each. Current balance is £7 so in 4 months I've used £3 of credit.

The tracker is bike powered but also has an internal back-up battery. Nice and compact/slim so easy to conceal.

There's a link to a test logon for the tracking portal on the page for the tracker I've linked to above.

* The SIM offered with the tracker didn't do data roaming, they did offer an alternative but it was far more expensive than the GiffGaff option so I go them to ship it without a SIM card, They kindly sent instructions on setting it up with the GiffGaff SIM. Also there was a hiccup getting my included 1st year sub to the portal started but their customer service was first rate resolving the issue quickly.

Autocom sell the same device for £129. Not sure if they have their own version of the portal set-up or are just suggesting that you use the tracker without it, which you can. It can just text you the location in reply to one sent to the unit or be set-up to text if exiting a geo-fence etc. However, the portal is, IMHO, a no-brainer for £10/year.

#16 Bumpkin, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  16. I guy in the multistrada section had his bike stolen & he has cctv at his home but not bothered with a tracker for his ...15K bike! Such is other peoples priorities; low & behold someone reported a nice ducati parked in a peculiar place. He got it back as the criminal now dump bikes for a day or so too cover if its got a tracker. I personally couldn't live without one on a nice motorbike.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information