Bike trac

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by simmytt, Mar 24, 2013.

1. My new bike should be due in any time soon and i am thinking of having the road angel bike trac fitted.I have done a bit of searching and they seem to be about £300 fitted,i am not sure if that covers the first years subscription ?,i like the idea of a text alert as i am planning on doing a fair bit of touring and the bike will be parked up at accommodation ect, is the text alert instant ? any owner reviews would be appreciated.

2. I got mine fitted for free and the 1st years £99 free with the purchase.

You can see where your bike is through the website and via a map.

I haven't used it much but you can put in around 3 different telephone numbers.

One thing I did find out whilst setting it up was. If you bike is stolen. The whole breadcrumb online viewing part of the location of your bike gets locked down. You will not be able to view where the bike is. I would imagine this would stop you trying to hunt down your bike that is in transit.

When you are out for a ride. I believe you can track all of your journeys too. I believe you can remove the speed if you choose.

3. Three things to note, the tracker is yours and is not transferrable if you sell the bike, European cover is extra and when setting up preferences, I was advised not to set up the "fence" aspect of monitoring. The workshop guys moved my bike out of the service bay after returning the key to me and I received a phone call whilst I was still puting my kit on to leave. Although I didn't pay the extra, I was able to download the breadcrumb trail of my route to Le Mans for the Moto GP last May. I subscribed for 3 years and will continue to subscribe. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks,you have made up my mind for me.just to clear up one thing the instructions say only 3 wires to connect,1 live,1 earth and 1 to the ignition(this connection is optional)so i assume if you do not have the ignition one connected you must manually arm and disarm ?,must admit i am not a fan of cutting into wiring so the two wire connection appeals but i want passive arming, also i assume there is some type of service mode is this easy to activate ?.Luckily my dealer is one of there approved installers so no third party fitters.Phantomfighter i guess you have a Pani to get it all free or did you get it as part of a deal ?.

5. Fitted a few now since their launch and they have proved very reliable to. Good piece of kit with a few extras to boot rather than being a non descript add on. The guys at road angel are some of the best in the business and very easy to deal with.
    the bread crumb trail was there from launch. They've since added in low battery warning and SOS so should you have a spill, the unit will help locate you as we'll as the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The switched live is a must have IMO. It becomes a totally anonymous system then. Fit and forget.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that you couldn't swap the unit from bilke to bike only that I was told I couldn't transfer it to another person - unless that has changed since I had the unit installed. Doesn't alter the fact it's a great bit of kit and qualifies for an insurance discount. My companion got her Diavel insurance down to £135 fully comp :biggrin:. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have the 2013 multistrada. Just one of my demands as part of the new bike from the dealer.

9. 2013 multi here to,does the trac unit go in the under seat storage area?as i like to keep my waterproofs there.

10. The location will be a secret and look like it is part of the OEM. My Dealer didn't fit it there and you will be hard pressed (no pun intended) to squeeze your waterproofs in that space. I managed a Grip Lock, mini visor demister spray, mini chain lube spray and a cloth :biggrin:. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yea i know space is tight but i could fit my waterproofs in there on my old multi 1200 thats why i asked if it was fitted there,but i believe the 2013 under seat storage is bigger ?,nice to know its hidden in a less obvious location.

12. Got one on my Panigale but it uses an orange sim unfortunately where I live orange is non existent, so far when I click on the map on the website I get an error plus an email saying my unit has communicated with the servers... No mobile service I'm hoping, I've got no means of checking until I can ride the thing once the snow goes.

so far I'm not impressed, website isn't great no real FAQ's so god knows if its working etc

13. Ive been really thinking about getting a a tracker fitted. Makes me smile that the two reasons for people to get one are 1) better chance of recovery if stolen - which, for me is the main and only reason 2) get one fitting and it will reduce the cost of insurance, but then you have to pay a sub every year which negates the savings made :smile:

14. Thats intresting,i did not know the unit was sim based,so it seems the bike trac has one major flaw ?,my reason for fitting is based upon that if i am out touring and away from the bike in a area i have no knowledge of ,it will alert me via text.Ok i might not be able to get back to the bike in time to save it being put into the back of a van,but i would like to think it would be recovered pretty quickly and if the insurance saving pays for the subs all the better.

15. I had one fitted to an 848 and I cant fault it.

It should be fitted where it cant be seen/got to without taking half the bike apart for security. Im sure a dealer would be able to advise good places. It was mentioned that they had 2 bikes stolen with them on in a day last year. Both owners got their units back....one with no bike though. They had put the unit under the seat and the thieves had simply found it and ripped it out......found the tracker telling them where is was using its internal battery but no bike!

The only advice I would give is to set up a fenced area around the dealership. They tend to move bikes about without switching on the ignition and I then get a text, email and phone call asking if the bikes been nicked.....all of which happens in about 30 seconds incidentally.

The website isn't the most intuitive I agree and it could be improved by having a smart phone app or similar. I don't know how it works abroad so that might be worth looking into further. The other thing to consider is that the crumb trail updates in real time so my wife can now find out where I'm going! :tongue:

16. I have one on my D16 as a precondition of the insurance and find it to be a pain the arse to be honest - albeit a minor one, remembering to activate/deactivate it, responding to false alarms whenever I ride it (I also live in an area without mobile coverage) - all in all something else to have to deal with that I could do without.

17. Does yours not switch off when you switch on the ignition then? I know it can be deactivated by texting the unit if the bike is being transported or if it's on a ferry.

18. I get false alarms because I live in an area with no mobile coverage. Not quite sure why (they did explain but I forget the ins-and-outs) but whenever I leave the house it sends an alert to Road Angel as soon as it gets mobile coverage. Wouldn't happen if I had mobile reception at my gaff apparently.

19. Ah ok. The joys of living in the wilds of Somerset!

20. Yeah, the feckin broadband is crap slow as well, and we have no gas supply so it is mega-expensive oil instead.

Of course it has its plus points as well .. like cheaper insurance :tongue:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information