1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bikes In Showrooms - Belts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PeteW, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Just wondering if dealers periodically turn the engine (using tool) on bikes that are standing for months on end in the showroom, to stop belts setting into postion. Or is the theory of belt 'memory' a load of guff and nothing to worry about? I didn't touch my bike for most of winter. There again that's always been the case for Ducs I've owned since the 90s, so I don't know why I'm suddenly wondering if it's an issue.

2. Probably belongs in 'general discussion'...

3. Don't worry about it :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I bought my Streetfighter S new in 2013, but it was sitting on the showroom floor for 2 years as it was manufactured in 2011.

I specifically asked the dealer about belts being 2 years old. If they weren't changed before I took delivery of the bike, they would be 4 years old when it next had them changed. He assured me they would be OK and I assured him that I'd be back knocking on his door if they went pop in those 2 years. I got the fact they hadn't been changed at the PDI written on a receipt from him.

They were OK and changed last year.

5. Good. I can get back to worrying about something else then...

6. I've got a set of new never fitted belts for my monster but I'd guess they are maybe 4 years old. Bin or fit?

7. Fit. Shelf life 8 years but I recon more like 20+.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. If stored correctly and not in daylight - the material isn't UV stable :smileys:
    I've seen a Main Dealer recently selling old stock 999 belts and not disclosing the fact (pre current part suffix) which were upgraded years ago, bit naughty...

9. These have always been in the drawer in the shed so guessing mine will be fine then as no sunlight or tension

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information