1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bikesafe

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by RC1, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Kent have an extremely active IAM Motorcycle group started by (and founder member of all IAM MC Groups) ex police motorcyclist (& a complete rocket!) Terry Friday, also a good friend to the Belfast group, sadly not as active these days owing to health issues but you should get in touch & book a free taster session with them.

2. I booked onto a Bikesafe course because after a moment of stupidity I was fairly certain I’d end up in court and wanted to be seen to have done something about my riding before hand, it turned out to be one of the best afternoon rides I’ve had. The morning was a bit tedious but informative, the observed ride was very memorable. My pre ride brief went something like “Right! It’s 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40 and 50 in a 50 but when the national speed limit applies as long as you can see me in your mirrors I’m happy” :) Well worth doing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. There is a very friendly IAM Roadsmart affiliated rider’s club in Bristol. Get your arse down there and continue the fun. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Passed DVSA enhanced rider scheme today.
    7 hours long, with 1 hour lunch break, plenty of stops to discuss issues and solutions.
    Did about 120miles on mainly country roads and single track roads.
    Certainly takes you out of your comfort zone, but at the end of the day.
    Riding a lot smoother, better observation and bike control.
    The whole day is a continual assessment of your riding, and what is required to improve.
    Plus following the instructor, at speed with a running commentary on what can be seen and how he is riding.
    Well worth the £ 185 for a DVSA approved course.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Glad you enjoyed it and benefitted from the day’s tutoring. Makes our training club is offering training far too cheaply. We charge £10 per session which is normally a half day out. There is an initial joining fee of £55 which also gets you The Highway Code and Roadcraft books. So you could get about 13 rides in with us, but we are Essex based.

6. Similar to the IAM then. There are deals to sign up for the Advanced Rider Course that are less than the £149 asking price, usually around £100. Then it's a tenner fuel contribution to your observer for the assessed rides up to your test (cost of this is included in the initial fee). You just need to find an IAM group nearby that suits you. Some groups have varying ethos', I'm the the Birmingham group which suits me.

7. I did a course with my mate. 2 days with an overnight stop over. Ex police bike and car pursuit instructor. Really good. was not cheap, but covered over 400 miles over the 2 days, all through Yorkshire and up into Scotland. Still use the techniques learnt and has set me up for further training in the future as a refresher. i will go back to them again then look to getting IAM / DVSA qualification.

8. Been with Rapid quite a few times and is very professionally run to a very high standard of real road riding, which is what’s relevant on the road. All ex class 1 riders as a minimum requirement, so generally about as good as your going to get. It is a day that is fun, sometimes hard having to learn things, I was dreadful in school!! But ultimately very rewarding, WILL improve your chances of avoiding getting into an unforeseen problem, and for me I find this kind of training over the last 10 years quite addictive. I think your up North, but if you are more SE Counties based there is another similar program I know.

9. In the 4 or 5 years since I joined my local IAM Roadsmart affiliated club, no money changes hands but a coffee or tea and a sticky bun over the debrief is always appreciated. Our club ‘rewards’ its active observers with a subsidised weekend away, usually somewhere in Wales. Andy

10. i'm booked in with Rapid Training in a couple of weeks time, i'll report back :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. No wheelies remember.

12. wet mode on!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nonsense, wheelies encouraged over humpback bridges on my Rapid rides!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Today I was out with one of the Rapid Training guys. Ex motorcycle copper of 30 years so really knew his stuff. He was really inquisitive with what I wanted from the day, really encouraging and clear with everything which we did. Thoroughly top bloke and definitely a money well spent day, I would highly recommend it no matter how long you’ve been riding or what level you are at if you’ve done advanced stuff before...
    And they like to make sure your bike is filthy by the time they’ve finished with you o_O

13B91364-F4BB-415D-80DD-47FB7F5178ED.jpeg

870BFF19-3F6C-4606-9C56-47989A0B40C7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Three reasons for doing it
    1) high class instruction
    2) EXCELLENT value for money
    3) you’ll enjoy it!!

There’s a limit to what you can do in 1 or 2 days (courses vary) but the police are very clear that they hope attendees will see this as a springboard to other further training/ ROSPA/IAM or others. Whether it’s of road training/ wheelies/ track days or Gymkhanas they all improve the skills .

If you can afford it then the Rapid Training courses are excellent ( would love to repeat one) but there are much cheaper (if different) alternatives

In terms of training also dont forget any local ‘first bike on scene’ courses . Cover first aid PLUS a lot more crash scene activity. (Must do a refresher!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. im def gonna do it just waiting for availability at my local place. cannot wait

17. Revisiting this thread.

I did the Bikesafe course from North Wales HQ in Llay on Saturday and apart from it being too bloody hot it was a fantastic day. Classroom based on the morning then a short lunch break and an afternoon on the road. I was lucky enough to have one to one tuition with the copper rather than IAM/ROSPA observers. Relaxed atmosphere but odd pushing on with a marked Police bike in your mirrors! Well worth £65.

• Like Like x 1
  18. finally got a slot at taplow sunday 8 august cannot wait

• Like Like x 3
  19. Agree, brilliant day out, did this down in Truro a few years back, they said this was not a ticketing exercise they want you to survive, wanted to see how you ride and promote that getting more training was their aim. The road ride was great wiht stops to discuss skills. We got some way from the centre so turned back on the dual carriage way - in the lead and doing a steady 70 or so and thinking that we were gong to be late police instructor pulled alongside and indicated to get shift on - great fun passing holiday traffic whilst being apparently 'chased' by the police.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Booked for bike safe ( South Wales ) end of august, looking forward to it, especially after reading all the positive comments on here.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information