1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biketrac Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Phill748, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Has anyone had issues with the bike itself once the biketrac was fitted? I’ve got one on my V2 and I’ve been having issues with the bike where all the indicators come on when the bike gets wet, and then yesterday the dash forgot the time and date (both at this point seemed to be bike related not tracker) and then today i had a geofence call from biketrac saying it had been stolen yet it was in the garage.

to me there’s a link here, maybe the bike trac causing and electrical short on the bike? I know it’s only connected by switchlive and mains and not fully can integrated but anyone had similar bike problems caused by the bike trac?

interestingly when the bike was at the dealer they said they couldn’t reproduce the issue but it was in service mode the whole time.

I’ve done a search and don’t want this to be an opinion on biketrac thread but want to know if anyone’s had issues with the bike that disappeared after removal or replacement of bike trac?

2. As far as I know biketrac has no interaction with the bike's electronics (apart from being connected to power), so your problems are unlikely to be 'connected'.

edit: the geofence error is a bit of a curved ball as the tracker is standalone, with it's own backup power supply, so the fact that it threw up the error does suggest there is an issue with the unit, although whether both the problems can both be traced back to either the tracker or the bike...?

As suggested, get the installer to check it out.

#2 Stanford, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. Depends on which permanent live feed in the bike’s wiring loom the installer used as the system needs to recognise that a genuine key fob has been used to start the bike. My immediate thought would be to get the installer to inspect the joints they made, especially as you say, it plays up in the wet. Sincerely hope you don’t have a faulty loom which is rare but not unknown. Without trying to tempt fate, I’ve had Biketrac installations on every bike I bought since 2012 and the two that are routinely used in all weathers haven’t as yet caused any issues. Andy

4. I should have said it’s a brand new bike, so should have been installed at the factory during build (as I understand it) I’m going to try and get the left side fairing off tomorrow and look for obvious issues, like pooled water near connectors and will disconnect the battery (yes for 20+ mins) and disconnect things and reassemble. I can’t do anything with the warranty of course with all the dealers closed but I’ll try to look for obvious issues)

5. Biketrac is a UK company and the unit will have been fitted either by the supplying dealer or sub contracted to a Biketrac approved installer during the pdi. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. really? So they are fitting them to every bike at PDI Stage? That seems mad! In which case there is every chance the dealer has screwed it up!

7. Th
    The free tracker deal is offered by Ducati UK in partnership with Biketrac (both located on the Silverstone science park) and is a UK specific thing. Some dealers are authorised installers having had the relevant training and some use independent accredited installers but the units are installed during the PDI in the dealer’s workshop. My first point of call would most definitely be the installer. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. So the dealer is listed as an installer, but I honestly don’t want to go anywhere near them again. Was hoping to take it to motorapido to get the indicator issues looked at, so now I’m even more confused. Thanks for your help though :)

9. Difficult situation. I think I would be up front with Andy, explain your predicament and hope it gets sorted. Good luck. Andy

10. MR have said they will be happy to take a look at the bike but not ‘mid warranty job’ so I guess it depends on whether the indicators issue was closed down when they couldn’t reproduce (I’m starting to think the dealer didn’t do anything at all for a number of reasons I’ll spare you of).

I want it to go to MR for the first service anyway So they will be getting my money, just need these bloody issues sorted because it’s really doing my head in

11. Tough one. Good luck. Andy

12. I wouldn't be too hard on the dealership - it's not uncommon to have 'faults' that dealers can't reproduce or find evidence of - these are often down to a bad electrical connection which can be difficult/time consuming to trace and which they might or might not have caused.

13. yeah I know, hence saying there were a number of other factors leading to me wanting to go elsewhere, from being given the wrong reg, to being given the wrong spare keys for the bike, to then not being contacted for 6 days after it was picked up for warranty despite me emailing and chasing. Anyway... bike trac, now I know it’s been installed I can look for anything obviously faulty and if I can’t find it then I’ll have to get it booked in.

I will also try getting the bike wet again and seeing if it happens again

14. As has already been said, highly unlikely the Bike Trac unit itself is the root cause of any electronic issues on the bike, they are two totally independent systems. Bike Trac merely taps into a permanent and switched live circuit and a negative/ground point. Sounds more probable that you have a compromised loom at some point. Have you checked for any obvious weak points, such as battery terminals, engine ground connection, DES and ECU plugs for water ingress and/or switches for moisture? It might pay you to check these and invest in some dialectric grease.

15. I don't think you have mentioned any of the other factors with the dealer, but fair enough, if they haven't performed then I would probably feel the same.

16. I might be covering old ground here but...

Although the BikeTrac system is completely separate the fact that the loom has been disturbed at all during fitting would point me in the direction of either a faulty BikeTrac unit or an issue caused in the fitting.

I have seen bikes with battery charge issues complain about traction control, ABS, dashboards that won't turn on bar a couple of lights, etc. etc.

A friend of mines bike this week had issues where his lights would turn on randomly, the indicators would work and then stopped working then got stuck on and that was all down to an earth which had a very slightly bad connection.

I think my first point of call would be to check on the main earth into the frame (I assume it goes into the frame on a V2). Make sure it's free of dirt, any corrosion, any paint and I might be tempted to use a bit of wet and dry on the connectors and the anchor point just to be certain.

If I were still having trouble then I would look at disconnecting the BikeTrac system from the electrics on the bike entirely to rule that out.

From there I would probably remove and take apart the indicator switchgear and check that all the switches make the right connections on the workbench.

At this point, I'd need to see a wiring diagram to work out what to do as to my mind it would indicate that the problem might well indeed be in the loom itself.

I hope some of that was at least a bit helpful.

17. Total guess this one, as we know canbus runs a few different items down one line, now I think the newer Ducati’s run hazard lights as standard (could be wrong) but being as hazard’s work with the ignition off then maybe this is where they may have taken the feed for the tracker thus the indicator problem?

18. Thanks to both, I’ve had one side off the bike which has taken up all my garage allowance for today, plus the fairings are quite tricky when it’s the first time doing them. I checked every connector I could see that wasn’t related to the reg rec and coils as there has been absolutely no issue there. I pressed ask the fuses in and sprayed the battery terminals with contact cleaner and then coated with acf50. They didn’t look too bad tbh. I didn’t disconnect the battery.

Next job is to get into the other side of the bike I think and poke around, I can’t see the main earth connection on the engine or frame from the left side of the bike.

Ref the hazards, this is the only thing that triggers all indicators on at the same time albeit to flash, I’ve sprayed the switch with contact cleaner the last time I had an issue but thinking I might take both switch gears apart next to check for obvious issues. Also they don’t work with the ignition off so some sort of shirt across the ignition live and hazard switch?

I couldn’t trace the wiring for the indicators as it comes down from the clocks all wrapped in one big loom and then goes behind the scuttle panel thing that you can see all the reg red etc mounted too.

lots to try, in terms of symptoms though, the dash must have physically lost power to cause time and date to reset, which means there is a fault somewhere, unless it’s water ingress in the dash itself.

anyone know if these new all LED lit bikes even still have relays? I’ve read before that it’s in the dash now. Also when this fault occurs the bike has no idea they are on, the illumination idiot lights on the dash aren’t on and the switches don’t enable the indicators, it’s like the indicator system is not contactable

19. . I should say I’ve done 230 ish miles totally fault free since it came back from being looked at, but they were dry miles, soon as it got wet as in a hose, the problem happened. Sprayed both switch gears with contact cleaner so it was literally dripping out and then started the bike and warmed it and about 10 mins later they went out, so is it drying something out, or is there an electrical issue which improves with heat, I dunno. I then had the tracker false alarm yesterday independent of anything else.

20. I’d trace the left hand handle bar switch loom back to the connection point with the main loom. Disconnect it and check the connector seals for damage. If have a digital multi meter you could check continuity back to the switch to see if you are getting a false earth. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information