1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Bit Of Advice Re Battery

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Flatty, May 13, 2019.

1. Right, my 1098, which hasnt given me much trouble to date was left standing for three weeks because it hadn't stopped raining til yesterday. I bought a new trickle charger on amazon and plugged it in throughout this period.but it was completely and utterly dead as a monty python parrot this morning to my dismay, as I'd been looking forward to riding it since yesterday. Not even the dashboard flickered, nothing.
    How would I go about this? Is the battery now fcuked and needs replacing? Would a new trickle charger be enough? Please bear in mind that I'm an idiot with no technical knowhow, and wouldn't know how or where to start testing it for anything.
    Any advice gratefully received
    Im near a Halfords now, so can buy anything needed at lunchtime.
    Thanks
    PS, it had been stood for that long before without a trickle charger, and started fine. Could a faulty one have actually drained the battery? It's connected through a universal standard connector, not crocodile clips, so even I can't have buggered that up

2. How old is the battery? If you want to get up and running sharpish i’d probably go for a new battery, fit it and check the voltage with the bike on idle. Needs to be around 14V on tickover.
    If it’s a newish battery and won’t start the bike, there’s another issue.
    While you’re in there, have a look at the white connector from the alternator to the VR, these sometimes overheat and melt causing a bad connection.

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  3. As @bettes said ;o)

How old is the battery? From your description it sounds utterly goosed

These bikes have a parasitic draw for the immobilizer, even though the dash light is out there is still a small pull on the battery. Personally I like to plug into a trickle charger about every 2 weeks to top it up and then unplug it

If the battery was on it's way out a trickle charger just won't cut the mustard. They will maintain a charged battery, but just usually don't have enough capacity to charge a badly discharged battery

Oh disconnect the charger before even switching the bike on, let alone start it. Leaving them connected is good way to blow up the charger

If the battery is old I'd look at getting some sort of replacement, if your in a hurry measure up the battery box and then get one that fits. I have a Motobatt in mine I cannot remember the model but it's a tight squeeze

My preference if AGM (absorbed glass mat) I prefer them to gel or liquid, but it's your bike and your choice

In addition these bikes (Ducati I mean) have also a bit of a reputation for RRs going bad, so check it's charging Ok and the lights or dash aren't flickering (signs of the RR about to go).

Again Bettes mentioned it but the plug between the alternator and RR can melt if it gets dirty and causes resistance.

Oh I am sure you are far from being an idiot, just a little unfamilair with the bike.

Good luck
    John

• Like Like x 2
  4. Let us know how it goes.

5. Waiting for green flag to bring me to ducati Manchester who have really kindly said they'd have a quick look. I'll update.

6. It was the battery. I presume the trickle charger is a dud.
    New battery in and collect on Saturday.

7. Running beautifully, and I think I have got to the bottom of the problem. I parked it up at work the other day, and about an hour later a thoroughly decent staff member came in, apologised for disturbing me, but said I'd left the lights on on my bike. I was blissfully unaware until then of the ingenious bit of design which means if you twist your key a tiny notch past the steering lock, it leaves the lights on. I reckon I'd left the lights on for two or three weeks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information