1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitcoins For Sale

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Flatfish, Sep 9, 2017.

1. I’ll give you a pint of milk AND a newspaper for your Ducati Bradders. Not just any milk either, I’m willing to go for the expensive, organic stuff. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. And how would I get change? A KTM? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. But what is the bitcoin to cheesey wotsit exchange rate?

4. I've still got several thruppenny bits, do they count?

5. Imodium does wonders for that:upyeah::mask:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Vehicles, property and potato farms are investments which are likely to produce a real return, are likely to maintain some value, and might even give you a fair profit. Crypto-currencies, lottery tickets, and bets on horseracing are not investments but speculations; there is a chance they might produce a huge windfall profit, but are more likely to be completely worthless in the end because they have no intrinsic value.

I'm not saying speculation is a bad thing, and if you choose to speculate with your money good luck to you. But I advise keeping clear in your mind the difference between investment and speculation - be very aware which you are doing.

A couple more points. Speculations are zero-sum transactions - X gains as much as Y loses, and there is no resulting increase in total real wealth. Investment can increase total real wealth, with the chance that X and Y both gain.

Investment is an essential part of economic growth, of the UK and every other economy. Speculation is useful only to the extent that it evens out anomalies, but also has scope to do great damage.

7. download.jpg

Is this you @noobie ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dunno, it shows no picture but just a red cross,?

edit, okay, nope. I stay away from bitcoin, far too many have difficulty getting it out. I never invest in anything unless I can get on a train and punch someone for fucking it up.

It will be closed down at some point in the future. The whole point of cards, contactless, etc is to keep an eye on us, they can't do that with cash so cash is being slowly phased out.

along come's bitcoin and a digital version of cash and in that governments and credit agencies etc can't control you or monitor you. The same groups seeking to make us a cashless society will not allow bitcoin to last much longer. They will artificially raise it, take theirs out after a profit then crash the system

Until I find a burger van that accepts bitcoin for my sunday bacon roll, then bitcoin is little more than a toy for those who like new toys.

#88 noobie, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  9. All this stuff reminds me of the old days of the gold standard.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard#Gold_standard_and_Bitcoin
    Using gold as currency has some advantages, but also many drawbacks. Chief among these is that the supply of gold (and thus the money supply) depends on arbitrary events such as the discovery of geological gold deposits somewhere, or the sinking of a shipload of gold. In such a system economies are made hostage to events which no-one can anticipate or control, since the money supply can increase or reduce at random without regard to economic needs or problems. Historically this led to massive insoluble economic problems in many countries at different times.

Those kinds of problems, long since banished, might yet return and be added to all our other problems if the proponents of cryptocurrencies had their way.

10. How strange..... that wouldn't have been funny at all.
    But it is the spit of yer!

11. Depends on how physical you treat data. It’s not speculation as the data exists somewhere and has a value. Cryptocurrency can be treated as a commodity like gold. It exists somewhere and it’s the worth to people that gives it the value.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Surely all the ship loads of gold that have sunk have been recovered.
    If the answer to that is no, please supply the last know location of said ships.

13. "Nothing to do with facts" eh? So you are unaware that Moody's and Standard & Poor closely monitor and take into account figures for inflation, unemployment, productivity, savings, investment, interest rates, government policies, and several other things. This is the information upon which their opinions are based. And these figures are, just to be clear about it, facts. The ratings agencies' predictions of the future might turn out to be wrong, and are unlikely to be 100% accurate, but it is simply not correct to suggest they are made up out of thin air.

14. Answer me question on the gold.... I've just pumped up my dingy....

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. A lottery ticket exists, it has data, and it has a value. But it is definitely a speculation. After the draw takes place it may be worth a fortune, or (more likely) nothing at all.

16. But the bits and bytes that make up the encryption value that relates to a bitcoin, has as much value as the market says it does... like gold. It’s not a guess at the data, it either is or it isn’t. I can type QWERTY in a text document... it’s not going to make it a bitcoin if I store it in a wallet.

Microsoft word is just data on a hard drive but it has value and is not a speculation.

There are a finite amount of bitcoins in circulation and they have a value because of that rarity. Buying a bit of that in circulation is investment, not speculation. I’m not spending in the hope that I find some or someone else finds it... I buy it and I own it.

17. But that's a bit like saying "the drugs empires run on cash"; it's a worthless statement.

18. Until it hits the top of value, the. Some more will no doubt be ‘mined’. Same as gold, I’d imagine. Or diamonds. Or peat...

19. Not of Bitcoin they won’t,the blockchain technology won’t go beyond a certain number. They can “fork” the coin and create a new coin with a different name and a new blockchain,but not Bitcoin

Do Not Sell My Personal Information