1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Blade To 1299

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Mike4702, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Sucks through the fuel too... just got 88 miles to red... blade could do 150

2. Does anyone change the gearing or does that screw with it?

3. Not sure why you'd want to. Mine will happily do 30mph in 3rd sometimes, usually 2nd. On tickover. But its friendly. It already goes off like a scolded cat and has the front skittering and hovering. Even with dwc at a modest 4. Engine mode at high is best mode. Throttle feels much snappier. I love the deep bass in 5th when rolling throttle on until it goes berserk at fuck knows what revs as im too busy to look. Geez the 1299 is fun and ffucking fast. Two f's fast.

4. Did you test ride the bike before buying it? You don't sound awfully happy with it TBH and there is a world of difference between an inline four and a v-twin (l-twin if we're being pedantic) in terms of riding characteristics. The Honda is more like an appliance, and will do everything you ask of it every time. The Ducati will be a more soulful bike and if you're so inclined then it will elevate your riding, or frustrate you if you try to ride it like a Fireblade. With the Ducati you'll be looking for more flowing lines rather than point and squirt and you'll find that the fun starts lower down the rev range, and that you'll be carrying more corner speed.

I like Fireblades very much, including the more recent 1000RRs, but do find them very different in every sense to a twin.

Why would you want to change the gearing? What are you looking to achieve? Changing the gearing of the final drive can make the bike more or less frenetic, depending upon what you're looking for. The transition might require a bit of going out and starting slow, letting the engine character come to you and then upping the pace as you feel yourself getting the hang of the delivery and revising your riding strategy to suit the new bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Running with a 190 rear on mine ( Avon 3D ultras ) they have a 200 rear as well but it is a different profile .Been using these Avon’s on various bikes for a while try them they are superb and almost half the price of Corsa’s

6. Lol, yes this all rings true...an appliance... and no I didn't test ride it ;-)... nothing for it I obviously need two bikes in my life ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. And yes I have been carrying more corner speed ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  8. i think the blade handled better then the panigale

9. Never ridden a blade. The Pani handles excellently once you figure out you need to move with it. Position is key on a pani. I initially found it awkward and hard to turn, but once i got my body positioning sorted and started moving on it the beastie will turn on a sixpence. I have no issues getting full use of my edge grip now.

Increase corner speed by dialling out EBC. Ive now got this on my toggle switch. If Im in hairpin alley, ie the alps, I set it to 2 or if I just want a lazy blat. Everywhere else its on 1 as that lets me carry the speed like my old 1198 with its slipper. Toggle switch only works in Race mode. Took me a while to figure that out. Doh!

10. On the 1299....

Blimey, you guys are mirroring my experience... I am a relatively "fat git" so never really moved around much on a bike.... However, I did over the weekend and yes it did seem to provide results...

11. i found the panigale way more stable in comparison but at first thought it was reluctant to turn. Im always moving around on the bike too. Im talking 959 here not 1299 though.

I hated the front end and the lack of feel at first but learned to ride around it by just trusting it.

changing the OEM wheels and getting rid of the pirellis made a huge difference. The ktech shock has transformed it too.

• Like Like x 1

12. I was thinking tires... all i do is ride on the road... so something more road-friendly would work better

13. michelin power RS transformed my bike. Front end feels like a normal bike now. Not sure what they will be like on track though as theyre very soft compared to the pirelli

14. Yeah I don't think the stock tires do any favors for the road...

15. I am thinking of metzeler rr7 's

16. I really like Pirellis myself. I have no problems with them. Ive the S, so I also stiffened the ohlins to 'harder' in dynamic mode.

Ive also initially made sport mode more like race mode lite. I knocked back the rider aids, like dtc, abs and dwc a click or two. But then I found i cant use the toggle. So ive got race mode on now and just toggle the ebc when i want it. When Im pressing I more or less switch it off. But when Im cruising I put it to 2 or even 3. Im still experimenting with the abs. The DTC ive left at 2. The DWC is at 3.

Having all these modes are confusing and a pain, so now its race mode full time. But dialled in for what I want. That way Ive only one mode to tweak instead of two. But Im still finding my feet with it all. My old 1198 was easier as I just switched it all off.

I annoyed people in crawley on Sat as I went round and round a roundabout about 10times on my knee. The Pani is friggin awesome if it can make a twat like me knee down so easily. Just hang off more, get a comfort or race seat to lift you higher and the DP rearsets are spot on. Ive now set them to race shift but am yet to test. May nip out this eve after work.

I honestly think the combination of comfort seat, DP rearsets and tank grip pads make all the difference to the bike.

#36 bootsam, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  17. I think the blade was softer on the road, which allows for the bumps on the road, meaning less jumping around compared to the 1299... Track is a different matter...

18. The jumping around on the road of the panigales makes me slower. Even with the suspension set up for me. I’ve only got an 899 and the suspension is a bit shit. I’ve got an MV F3 which I’m faster on because the suspension is better at keeping the bike stable.

19. lol, this is going the way of the 04 zx10... I rode my mates once and got off because I thought something was going to fall off... turns out the hard suspension and chassis just made it tank slap on the road as part of what it did... guess it was just setup for the track... ow well i guess i will just have to make the most of the 1299 8K+ mental mode and revert to having 2 bikes :).... Blade tailed off at the top end

20. Or it could just be a riders bike... time will tell... wanted a change so will embrace... Question if i may... for the fun of it i set wheelie and traction to 8 over the weekend, just to see what it did... far too restrictive... next question, what are the optimum settings? What will save me but not get in the way? i reverted to race yesterday and all was fine in the world

Do Not Sell My Personal Information