1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bless Those Little Snowflakes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by outintheopen, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Almonds grow across India & Asia, amongst other places. They are the size of a lemon when on the tree. They have an outer and an inner husk. Those husks are removed by a combination of grinding, the use of acid and by hand. Often times the hands are those of children. Each litre of Almond ‘milk’ requires almost 400, yes FOUR HUNDRED, litres of potable water to produce, in areas where potable water is in short supply.

Yes, almond milk is really really good for the environment.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. I robustly defend peoples rights to be identified as vegan etc. with whatever that entails.
    I also robustly defend my rights to tell them to f*ck off if they try to enforce their views on me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. You drink it don't you paul ? I never knew you had a scrambler, tsk

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. 5B74336A-2B64-43A5-AC0F-46D588FE60EA.png
    almond milk does use a lot of water but not as much as cows milk.

#104 749er, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. surely you mean some Vegans? Not all vegans?

people should not eat soya. It’s bad for you. Causes inflammation. No reason to assume it’s bad for cattle too.

https://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-inflammatory-foods-to-avoid.htm

the same is true for wheat. People should not eat that either for the same reasons.

the NHS in Scotland strongly suggests to people with diseases of inflammation to stay off of wheat, dairy, soya.

Incidentally, cancer is a form of inflammation and now 1 in 3 people get cancer.

#105 749er, Feb 22, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. ‘About 99% of the water used in (Cow) milk production is green water. It can be argued that green water consumption has negligible environmental impact as it has a low, or negligible opportunity cost. The rain water consumed by growing grass or feed crops (by evapotranspiration) could only be used for growing alternative vegetation, that is, it could not be used to substitute for water for domestic or industrial use for example. Therefore, there is limited water benefit in saving green water. Indeed if cattle were removed from fields and milk production stopped, evapotranspiration would still continue, to a greater or lesser extent depending on land use and vegetation cover.’

https://dairy.ahdb.org.uk/non_umbraco/download.aspx?media=16704

Does almond milk production use potable (Blue) water, or rain (Green water)?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. No idea. does it matter? I don’t know that either.

I am pretty sure that if cows would not normally eat grain or soy if they were left to their own devices in the wild then we shouldn’t be feeding it to them either. No more than we should I have been feeding them ground up cow

8. now 1 in 3 get cancer? what did it used to be? people get sick, get old and die.. its sad but its a sad reality ... i think the rise in cancer rates are due to the diagnosis process and alot of ailments now being attributed to "cancer" where they previously would have been a stand alone ailment... the point is, people live a lot longer now days than they ever have so if this sudden rise in cancer is a fact, why is life expectancy getting better not worse?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

9. That seems a reason hypothesis but

https://www.webmd.com/special-repor...l-town/20161020/childhood-cancer-rates-rising

“The numbers are small because any childhood canceris rare. Just one of every 100 new cancer diagnoses in the United States is a childhood case.

Still, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) says there has been a significant increase in the overall rate of childhood cancers in recent decades -- up 27% since 1975 in kids under age 19, according to data collected by the NCI’s Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program.”

The news comes as the overall incidence of adult cancers has fallen.

The rise seems to be driven, in large part, by an increase in leukemia, which is up almost 35% since 1975. Leukemia is the most common cancer in kids. Soft tissue cancers, like those that develop in bones or muscles, are up nearly 42%. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is up 34%.

“When you see an increase like that -- that fast -- in a short period of time, most likely it is going to be driven by some exposure to environmental factors,” says Catherine Metayer, MD, PhD, an adjunct professor at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health. She and her team just won a $6 million grant from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences to study the causes of leukemia in children”.

it’s an old adage but it’s often been said you are what you eat

look after yourselves people. Take a few weeks and experiment with your diet and see how you feel.

10. Can’t eat dairy. Can’t eat meat. Cant eat soya. Can’t eat wheat.

how did we survive before 2017....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Life expectancy is longer due to diet, a massive reduction in wars, medical advances to eliminate or reduce disease, huge reductions in smoking and to a lesser degree drinking alcohol plus improvements in sanitation, quality of homes, improvements in working conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dont know where to start here so i wont.... i guess we will just have to wait and see if these figures from 1975 have a vast impact on mortality rates.

13. And they had all the diagnosis equipment in 1975. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. true dat.. but if im being told that 1 in 3 now get cancer and it is largely attributed to us meat eating scum, id like a lil more info as to what the numbers were in pest times and if the increase may be down to diagnosis rather than a sudden death sentence due to the way in which we currently live....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Isn't the problem due to the availability of the water where the almonds are grown? Using 400lts of water per litre for soya milk is a huge problem in areas where there is already a significant water shortage, as opposed to cows milk using water in regions with significantly larger water supply.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. And cows ‘water is ‘free’.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. How about some real facts rather than american out of date stuff?

• Childhood cancer is rare – around 1,600 new cases are diagnosed every year in the UK (in children aged 0-14 years)
    • This means that around one child in 500 will develop some form of cancer by the age of 14 years
    • Childhood cancers account for 0.5% of all cancers in the UK
    • Cancer occurs more commonly in boys than girls, by a ratio of around 6:5. This varies by tumour type; the most striking excess is in lymphomas, which boys are more than twice as likely to develop
    • In Britain, childhood cancer incidence rates increased by 38% between 1966-2000. Some of this increase is thought to be due to improvements in diagnosis and registration
    • The childhood cancer rate in the UK is the lowest in Europe, and one of the lowest of all Western industrialised countries. Australia and the US have some of the highest rates. The reasons for this variation are not clear.

Children with cancer U.K. https://www.childrenwithcancer.org.uk/childhood-cancer-info/childhood-cancer-facts-figures/

18. You make an important point. Principle cause of death by cancer (after lung cancer) in UK men is prostate. That is due in part because 40 years ago most men were already dead of something else before their prostate cancer had chance to develop.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I really don’t know. As long as no one is thirsty in the area, I can’t see what the problem is.

carbon footprint is lower

water consumption is lower

I went from

dairy milk

to soya milk - stopped due to inflammatory properties

to rice milk - stopped due to not feeling great on it

almond milk - stopped as I can’t seem to lose weight when I drink it

Oat milk is very creamy and so is nice in coffee. Not great in tea.

these days rarely buy plant based milks.

I really miss cheese.

20. And loads of men who die of something else have undiagnosed prostate cancer, it’s very common.

doesn’t really change the scientific facts that we are eating more and more inflammatory foods and it is affecting our health.

it’s up to you if you wish to ignore the research data I have presented to you.

#120 749er, Feb 22, 2020
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information