1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloody Inconvenience

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by donkeydoo, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Thought I would take the wifes Scrambler out for a spin, I mean she has only had it a few weeks and the only use it's had is when I rode it back from the dealers for her.

Rear tyre is flat, I guess I may be in trouble.

Don't you just love forking out for a new tyre when the flat one is also new........

Not a real problem just an inconvenience though.......

2. Is the tyre punctured, has the bike got spoked wheels?
    Steve

3. Not spoked and it must be it was wet and miserable when I rode it home, gonna borrow a mates compressor and see if and how long it holds air...

4. I feel your pain.
    Had a newcrear tyre fitted to my Mutley 1200. Ride from tyre place to M11 and it was flat. 100 miles and pfut, flat as a pancake. Can you get It vulcanised with a patch? Have had 2 tyres repaired that way. A GS & Gixer.

5. Depending where the puncture is , it may be repairable.

6. Both my tyres which were vulcanised were a Bridgestone and Michelin. Both had small (less than 5cm) round puncture holes. GS fine after 8 months of riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Find the puncture & try 'stop & go' kit. Used this kit on many punctures & have a number of kits for my bikes of other brands. However I like the system the stop-n-go use. A small compressor with the bike engine running & job completed in a few minutes. No fucking hours waiting for a van to pick you up & then get rinsed by some motorcycle shop.

8. Cheers for the pointers I do have a repair kit somewhere and did not even think of repairing it, so cheers for the idea..

Are the self repair kits safe for long term use or really just for temporary repairs..

I is a little paranoid as it's the wifes bike and think I should maybe get her a new one....

9. No good, you need to take it to tyre shop for a proper job done. My new multi picked up a screw at 200miles. £20 at Bike tyres Leeds for a proper vulc job. Lasted life of tyre.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dunno where you are in the South East but Watling Tyres in Tonbridge do a ride in ride out service on tyres, I've ridden in and had a puncture fixed there before

11. I used a home plug on my mates Suzukilast September to fix a hole right in the middle, he is still riding it now after some 2500 miles approx.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The DIY kit is ok as a stop gap & sure they may last but if you have ever had one done professionally, as my previous post. The repair uses a hole honed through the puncture site, then a large patch with a pigtail threaded through the tyre. This is then vulcanised on the hole & the inside of the tyre. The patch is around 50mm diameter. The DIY plug as you know is just a small mushroom. As said get you home. Not even sure the DIY kit recommends using full tyre pressure.

13. Although no-one in their right mind would 'guarantee' a DIY repair, I can tell you the 'Sticky string' plug system is pretty bloody excellent :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:.... 2up and fully loaded, said repair took me over the Grosse-Glockner and down to Verona, without losing an ounce of (full) pressure. I carry a kit and compressor all the time on my GSA. A puncture on my Duc would be a call to the AA, (unless it was already at home).

• Like Like x 2
  14. A couple of years back I had a brand new tyres on the Mutley.
    .. first ride out to WhiteWays.
    ... rear tyre puncture, multiple.
    ... a very nice local chap tried to help me fix it....
    Ducati forum member..... looses it quickly on the internet...:eyes:

15. You can get them repaired at some places but it needs to be done properly from the inside.

No one will guarantee it though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information