1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw Purchase Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by SP4S, Jun 6, 2017.

1. They're very good. I got my ST from them. I'm in Aberdeenshire and they delivered it and had a return if not happy policy. Recommended.

2. I had a 2005 K1200S for a couple of years. Stellar performance and very stable but quite frankly compared to the K1200RS I had prior to that it all felt a little crude and buzzy; the Hansel & Gretel panniers are also not in the same league as those on the K1200RS.

Depends upon what you want but for touring the RS is in my book a better package. Some great examples out there too.

3. Istan. Thanks for the advice. I think the RS might be out of my price range although an improved ride/spec would make all the difference I guess. Yes. Lots out there. Just a question of finding one not too far away and decent milieage.
    Mainly commuting and some touring to France etc.

4. It's really worth joining the ukgs forum just for the advert section I've bought some good bikes off there and the guys are realistic about price.
    Costs £12 I think.
    There's even a set of 1198 BST carbon wheels for sale at the moment on there !

5. Had a K1300R no complaints very good bike, just not as much fun as a Multi, Just bought a GS TE again so far a great bike, has Pluses over a Multi, and a couple of things that a Multi does better.

6. I've got an 11 plate 1200GSA TU. I'm struggling to fault it in any way (in comparison with any other manufacturer). I've done 25k miles on it (120m/day commuting and continental touring) and it's still near mint. I'm not ocd about cleaning, but do service on time and ACF50 spray/otherwise protect the sensitive areas.

7. Ssssshhhhh, all you'll all want one
    SP4S pm me if u want any info. Went from a Mutley 1200 Sport T to a GS LC.

8. Thread moved

9. KTM 1190 Adv. :eyes:

10. Sold my fireblade today. So have £3000 in my account needing to be spent on bike.
    Viewing a couple this weekend. Anything I should look out for on the K1200s?

11. Sold my fireblade today. So have £3000 in my account needing to be spent on bike.
    Viewing a couple this weekend. Anything I should look out for on the K1200s?

12. Rattles from the cam-chain on start-up
    Tight/seized ball-joint on the duo-lever front-end

13. Gearbox. not just notchy but a bit weak.

14. plus switchgear and abs!

15. Thanks for all the responses guys, will take the advice about cam chain and joints on board. Have narrowed it down to two bikes at the moment below. The guy form eBay hasnt returned any messages and i have never bought a vehicle without examining it first. The one on Gumtree sounds good too. The others listed by fellow members are just a little too far, appreciate the thought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132215756620?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw-motorbikes/bmw-k1200s/1245718361

16. Any thoughts chaos? I'm drawn to the grey one on eBay, three owners. I'm looking at it tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  17. IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4419.JPG IMG_4420.JPG Update.

Was out today looking at bikes all over the place. Boy have I covered some miles today. Looked at four bikes. Three quite ropey ones with rusty bolts and scratched fairings.
    Final one was in Ringwood, Hants.
    Three hour drive from London during rush hour.
    Let's just say the drive and hunger pains were worth it.
    24k miles, FSH, new tyres and service three weeks ago.
    Did a deal we were both happy with and he is delivering it to my house Sunday morning. Can't wait.

I'm surprised at how loud it is. I always remember BMW's sounding quite flat.

One question. Throttle response was quite jerky. Is this normal? My Fireblade was v precise.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I had a 1200R years ago and I thought the fueling was poor...it spoiled the bike
    Fitted a power commander and it transformed it. Right twat to fit though

19. I agree. Fuelling is not good. I was expecting better. Power commander may be my next port of call.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information