1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw S1000rr Sport/ M Sport

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by bigjimmyb, Mar 21, 2022.

1. How was your test ride?

I've got a 2020 S1000RR as well as my Ducati 996 and a 2006 Fireblade. The BMW is ludicrously competent, at everything. Ergos are great. Goes VERY fast. Shiftcam is a real boon, means you can be lazy with your gearchanges (especially on track) and it's got the torque to pull you through. Interactivity and equipment is top class. Electronics absolutely outstanding and customisation of Race Pro modes essential on track. On the road it's superb too.

The big question is SOUL. It's better with an akrapovic slip on (got one for £400 on ebay) but it's still nothing like an old analogue bike. This is common to all modern bikes though - so if your comparison is between an RR and a modern V4 then there won't be quite so much in it. It's just what happens when you have 100 algorithms between your right wrist and the back tyre.

As for reliability - I've had an oxygen sensor go on me and a leak in the sight glass. Both sorted under warranty. 3 year warranty is good.

Ultimately it'll come down to your test ride - but I figure it's an excellent choice in a quiver of two or more bikes. Get your analogue fix from something older, but when you want sheer bloody excellence, have the BMW. (Or perhaps a 2022 V4S).

downloadz_261021_4396_donington.jpg downloadz_260721_10265_snetterton.jpg downloadz_190421_2026_donington.jpg downloadz_261021_3661_donington.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. If I was buying a bike to do 20k on, or ride every day, it would be a Suzuki. IMO what they do really well is engines, they may not have the most power, but it seems they're unlikely to shit themselves either. I ragged my K6 for years with lots of clutched up wheelies, and nothing broke.

3. I ran mine in slick mode from 600 miles old. Felt much better, but still had some back up.

4. Plenty at Donington today!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. How was your test ride?…….

I got effin Covid

Planning to rebook asap.

Have done a lot of reading and watching of YouTube (unless it’s Americans basically showing off, which I avoid like the plague), and LambChop articulates well.

I’m not after that pure analogue experience, my 1098 gives me that for now. I’m a relatively new rider so don’t have much history to be nostalgic about!

Main aim is a reliable bike at a decent cost (I’ve made note that there is a sizeable difference between the beemer and the V4) with good support from the dealer (my most recent Ducati dealer experience has left me with a sour taste). Something I can just throw my leg over a few times a week, rag the shit out of, clean and put away. Spannering ain’t my thing (I have neither the skill or temperament ), which is maybe why I end up using dealers too much and them pi$$ing me off.

I’ll report back after that test ride.
    Thanks all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good luck getting over Covid. Don't overdo it in your recovery. I made that mistake.

BMW sounds like it might be just the ticket for you. Look forward to hearing what you think when you finally get out on one!

7. the s1000rr over here in the states isnt doing to well, it has a huge dead spot at around 6k rpm due to emissions and noise restrictions here.you have to rev the piss out of it to get it moving. you have to change the pipe and then spend about 1k for a tune. alot of complaints about leaking brake calipes and noise in the front forks, bad ignition coils, shift cam issues,cold start problems,carbon fiber wheels cracking the clearcoat,hard to find neutral. i owned a 2010 and a 2015 s1000rr and i liked them both only problem i had was on the 2015, gear selector switch had to be replaced but the panigale v4 is my choice of bikes now that i own one

• Like Like x 1
  8. There was a chap on a different forum who had a new Beemer . It was nothing but trouble from electrical to cracked wheels. What made it worse was BMW were awful in the aftersales / repairs / taking ownership.
    Sure one persons experience doesnt make a bad bike but my goodness, it was a tale of horrific stories.

9. Cripes that's not good.

Am test riding this weekend, so will see how that goes. If I do go for one, am thinking maybe a year old one - cheaper obvs, run in and hopefully a lot if not al niggles resolved.....

10. Iirc but used from Bmw and get a 3yr factory warranty free too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. I think it's two years, but still pretty good for a used bike!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I'd buy a pre reg GSX-R1000R for around £14k. Would have last year, if I hadn't had a Ducati itch to scratch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Food for thought mate. Unlikely, but food for though nonetheless.

Thx

14. I have a 2015 R as my daily commuter, so sort of relevant to the conversation. It's covered in Kriega bags, as well as dirt, grease and shit from the road. I've done 41k miles on it now, and all that has happened in that time is the clutch cable snapped.
    BMW Park lane picked me up and gave me a new (4 miles on it) 5 series while they fixed it, as they had no bikes. Was on a Friday so i didn't mind having it for the weekend. If honest i don't look after it; i get home and stick it in the garage and get on it again the next day. It loves me back though unconditionally.

• Like Like x 4
  15. eeek, leaking brakes..... I've noticed more and more of them with the 'M Sport' caliper on there, made I believe by Tokico so perhaps BMW are trying to back away from that one

16. Hayes mate. They’re made by a pushbike manufacture.

there was not a lot wrong with the gen 3 brembos tbf

17. I know the standard ones are Hayes but the M1000 ones are different, I'm sure they are Tokico

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'd say the Brembo's on my gen 2 were at least as good as what's on my 1299.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information