1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw S1000rr

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Monners, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Pretty much agree with whats been said. With regards to the stability, I don't mean there's any issue with either bike. Just literally the BMW being smaller and more like a 600cc with it's shorter wheelbase so it's a bit more flighty feeling because it can turn sharper.

2. I got made redundant last week too. Got 6 months gardening leave. First time this has ever happened to me. So I'm setting up a carbon fibre retail business now, full-time. But as for getting a new bike? I am not likely to go much further than a couple of trick bits for my Supersport.

3. This has been a great thread and a very informative read. However the only conclusion i have gained from it is that i am in fact incredibly shallow. Reading about the BM it sounds like the ultimate bike in all areas.......

;but then i see a picture of it. It just doesn't make me smile and i can't get over that fact despite all the documented positives.

4. I feel exactly the same if that helps.

It's hard to describe. The BMW for me doesn't have the same occasion about it. It doesn't feel as special.

Don't get me wrong I really, really want one. But there's no way I'd sell my panigale for it, and if I had it as a second bike I'd probably use it a fair amount as well which makes no sense lol.

I guess you would say it's too good. A little bit detaching. The bmw is like watching an action movie on the best TV you've ever seen. The panigale is like being on the set.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just read through this...I own the elephant in the room (RSV4 Factory). As some of you know I test rode an s1000r last year and didn't like it (for a multitude of reasons). And, as other have said on here also its the occasion and not getting there as fast as possible but the journey. I'm definitely not as accomplished other riders on here just to get that in first.

1. I found the s1000r "disjointed" like others have said about the RR.
    2. Very clinical - not much draws you to it....like the RR.
    3. This might sound weird but on entering the BMW showroom the first thing I thought seeing overweight cladded middle aged blokes striding round was "i don't want to be a part of this..." does that sound weird...standing in the middle of the BMW showroom I wanted to be standing in Louigi motos with a biscuit and a mug of coffee...
    4. This is not the R or the RR but maybe the way its all going and me being a little bit old fashioned.....I asked the sales blokey "if want to change the rear shock what about the electronics?" to which he replied "why would you want to?" valid point but I like making things my own I like to mess and tinker and that whole avenue would be removed in one foul swoop...

I don't think id own any BMW for the above reasons, not that theyre bad, they've just removed one of the aspects of bike ownership that I like along with clinical feeling about it.

The rsv4?: pretty well like the panigale. Occasion. I'm on the RSV4 today, rode it to work in the drizzle...I couldn't wait any longer, over xmas it got a full akra system EVO2, a modded ecu with reduced engine braking and an rcs19 brembo master cylinder...I was thinking of selling it last year and going for something else (not sure what though, at the time) and then a meet up at Loomies was suggested and I went with another lad from the forum....Sunday morning meet 8am, from Bristol to Loomies covered in about 80 mins or so factoring out gassing in petrol station forecourts about bikes and stuff. Fell in love with it, again. The noise, the fact that I was doing on it what it was designed for. Cant wait to do the same run again this year but more of them.

Just to clarify its not just BMW but the same electronics angle applies to all the big names now its just the Ducati does it with "connection" If I had the money to spunk on something now it would be another rsv4 or a 1299 I think, in that order...sorry lads rambling a bit and off topic.!

• Like Like x 1
  6. @comfysofa who did the ecu, is it a Gabro reprogram ?

You got biscuits from Richard @ Louigi !!. I'm gonna ring and complain as I never have :(

7. No the lad I bought the system off of "Tomik" did the reprogram....I couldn't really afford it but 750 quid for a full system I couldn't say no so, in turn started flogging stuff like a champ on ebay to pay for it!

He's done a top job....he replaced the 3 standard maps with 3 variations on the corse mapping with varying different amount of engine braking plus a mapping for the evo2 system that he's tweaked as he's been using his own track bike to develop it - he did make the point of saying he has stuff in there that Gabro hasn't done yet...!

Louigi's: when I'm there its usually for dyno work so I tend to hang around but I like it down there - like the atmosphere....im ducatiless at the moment but almost got my hypermotard back last week - thought I had it in the bag Thursday night then she came on Friday and I almost lost my supermoto at the same time...

8. Do you have any pix of your RSV4, curious to see it :)

9. Its outside right now...ill go and take a pic in a min...just typing up some work stuff....

10. Ta. My pet hate are bike pictures taken from the left hand side, so you know :)

( bit weird like that)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ok- youll get the "akra shorty side!"

12. Smashing :thumbsup:

13. First pic ive got of it with the new pipe on there....
    IMG_20160205_115422.jpg

Sorry about the chicken strips, new tyres at the start of the winter and only been out a few times on it...

• Like Like x 12
  14. Nice, love it. One of the only few non Ducati's i would consider - great colour scheme too.

Do the little mirrors not foul the fairing on full lock?

15. Like what you have done with the number plate too.

16. Nope - the mirror misses it....took the mirrors off as they were useless and transferred the indicators to the running lights, rear indicators are integrated into the rear light so the number plate hanger is very minimal. I put the indicators back on for the MOT :)

17. I considered a RSV 4 Factory along with the s1k when I got my 899.

The lack of local dealers put me off, and knowing a few people that have had big problems with them.

Great bikes though for sure. Interestingly, just to contradict myself from my earlier statement about character, I would take the s1k over a RSV personally. I found the RSV very cramped, i'd put it in the same league as the new r1 in terms of road practicality.

It does have shed loads of bottom end though the aprilia, but didn't feel the finished article of the bmw.

Taste and opinions are a funny old thing lol.

18. Heh - yeah - it sounds like youre definitely in the market that BMW wants to be in - buy the bike, forget about the hassle and enjoy....mine as you can see is the oldest one....and apparently the most unreliable - last week was the first time an Aprilia part actually failed - the throttle demand sensor, got a second hander for 30 quid. Its kinda electronic enough for me/forum members to play with (I can plug my laptop in and throttle learn, test fuel pump ecu can be modded etc etc) but still manual enough for me to play with (nitron race pro rear shock, ohlins fork mod done etc etc). The other thing is the noise....the noise, the noise just got better with the full akra and I didn't think it could!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yesterday I put one of my old bikes up for sale,and today I am looking at a whole load of Triton bits to sell.De cluttering is the order of the day.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yep sorry op... Back on topic. I like that chuffy noise they make when you put the pit Lane limiter on.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information