1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw S1000rr

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Monners, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Wouldn't stop me buying one but I can relate to number 3. Walking round the BM stand at the NEC this year , felt like I was at an induction day at a fat farm.. No wonder they have to make GS's so f*in big.

2. Yes also the bmw bikes look half finished from a road bike perspective. Focussed and track oriented but not eye candy at all. Looks quite cheap.

3. It's funny... I was just thinking about this... When i was test riding the r it's was like bmw were given a set of problems to solve (like a sheet of equations) they did it, fast, methodically, and everything was right.... Which Is kinda how they produce their bikes... Nothing wrong with that and its great... Probably just not for me..does that sound strange..?

4. Good job mervyn get loads of trick bits on my triton. .

5. Well I got back from around 700 miles of S1000RR fun over the last five days! Everything from 50mph winds and driving rain for 250 miles today, to sun and epic riding around the Cornish coast roads....and it's February!!

Yes it's doesn't have the sex factor that the Pani has but by god is it good. I've never rode with so much confidence in the wet, and in the dry the thing is as good as anything I've ever rode. It's not a Panigale replacement as I love the Ducati too much but the two bikes both have things they are slightly better at than the other and they make a dream complement in the garage. I can't wait until mine arrives in March :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. If it was anything like Bristol today I wouldnt have wanted to be in that! Pissing down all day... Think it's just stopping now...

7. Bloody hell royal.... You must really like that bike! Mind you its a demo so I suppose I may... But ive not got anything waterproof as such...

8. @Royal , bike does not look like it has the red rim tape so are they the forged wheels? Have you tried standard against forged?

Also , did the kriega fit on easily?

9. I specifically bought the BMW for riding in all weathers as I don't like taking the Ducati out in bad conditions. It's not that I mind riding the Ducati in the rain, I just don't like what it would do to the bike over time. The BMW is not cheap but it's five grand cheaper than the Panigale and not so much about the sex factor so it feels more acceptable to use it in all weathers.

This is a hire bike but yes it has the forged wheels. I've asked for them on my new bike as well as I reckon they are one of the best mods you can do to a bike. I havnt tried the BMW with normal wheels but any unsprung weight reduction is worth several times the equivalent sprung weight reduction so a good idea imo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Kriega fitting was easy. I just put the straps around the frame at the front and on the tail tidy at the back.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Just come across this thread and has made very interesting reading.
    A few points I picked up and can offer my humble opinion on are:

1. The new 1299 geometry now gets it tipping into corners much more like the latest S1000RR's and 675R's.
    2. If you took the same winter weather protection measures with both a Panni and an S1kR I don't believe there would much difference in how they survived or looked come springtime and although considerably more expensive, the Panni will always be worth more come p/x time so that negates the cost argument somewhat.
    3. When I tested the S1000RR back in 2012 and the latest model in 2015, the overwhelming impression I got was what a fantastic achievement BMW had scored in making a ballistic Superbike feel so safe and easy to ride at warp speeds.
    4. The down side of point 3 for me was that it wasn't a challenge to ride on the roads like a quirky Ducati can be and as a result it felt a little clinical and uninvolving.
    5. I also felt that if I was to get a buzz out of the BMW, I'd either end up getting locked up or in a wooden overcoat ! (but maybe that's just me)
    6. I can't see myself changing my 1299 for a S1000RR anytime soon but if I had to ride everyday and in all weathers I think the BMW would be a little easier to get on with (but not necessarily better put together)
    7. and to sum up, I think Royals description of the S1000RR as a 'tool & weapon' is bang on the money and I'm sure he'll enjoy his purchase (while still hankering after a big Duke :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:).

12. thePanni will always be worth more come p/x time so that negates the cost argument somewhat.

It may be worth more but the purchase price is higher. What is important is the percentage drop in value. BMW's generally hold their prices well and the s1k is one of the lowest depreciating superbikes on the market.

I accept your other points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I'd also say that the beamer for what you get is arguably great value for money.

14. Is there really a significant proportional difference in the percentage drop of a Panni and S1000RR ?
    My research didn't lead me to think so and there seemed to be plenty of owners on the BMW forums complaining about their P/X valuations from dealers (as there often are on here also).

15. I think I'd agree with you there, just, but what you gain in hardware you lose in art. But as I think someone already mentioned it's all subjective to the individual :yum:

16. I didn't say there was a significant proportinal difference. Your original post stated the Panni will always be worth more, my point is that as a percentage drop the Panni won't necessarily fair better than the BM.

17. It's a myth that Ducatis don't devalue at the same rate as other bikes, quite honestly if you add high mileage to a ducati they probably drop more in some cases as people are far more mindful about reliability with the brand.

Whilst they've got better over the years they've still continuously had issues with nearly every new model to some extent, of course other manufacturers do, that's a given.

But if you look at 3rd party warranty prices you'll find Ducatis cost double in most instances and that's not because they're better, more sexy or have that 'passion' which people seem so hung up on, it's because when it comes to brass tacs figures the insurers know Damn well when things go wrong they cost big money. Therefore ongoing running costs play a part in what perception of value is from a 2nd / 3rd owner

Of course this doesn't apply to all Ducatis but believing because you spent more means that you'll lose less doesn't work.

Ducati and the sales network do a very good job at selling the residual value concept but it's simply smoke and mirrors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Point very well made, couldn't agree more..

19. Disagree about the depreciation though. Ex-bike salesman from Honda dealership here!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information