1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Boots' Thread For Daft Questions

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by bootsam, Aug 30, 2021.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  1. Thanks. That’s handy as I was going to ask about the best way to check the injectors.

2. assuming you narrow it down to a fuelling issue, there is a possibility they are blocked, partially or otherwise. which of course an ohms test wont show. i've only ever seen it once, and that was fairly recently on a clio that had done v'lil over lock down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Same injectors on an Integrale and all 4 were gummed up when I bought my last one. A day soaked with the nose of the injector in carb cleaner or similar was all they needed. Tested them before refitting.
    If you're getting flooding then doesn't sound like they are gummed but a clean might help.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Have you checked condition of fuel pump pipes in the tank ? I’ve had two recent failures and first one was sudden where bike cut out and that was that. It turned out to be a hose had come off in the tank from swelling up . Second breakdown was mega loss of power and running dog rough, it was a split hose in tank. Ironically, the plugs were drenched but equally starving for fuel due to spilt hose. I guess it wasn’t building enough pressure to atomise the fuel properly and just soaked the plug instead of a clean combustion process.

Worth a check if bikes been laid up .

Good luck !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Your battery went kaboom, did you fit a brand new battery or an old one?

6. Brand new oem. Yuasa.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Took fuel pump off. Loa and behold, all 4 pipes have perished. My tank was full of slush from the other sheath of these pipes. So new pipes needed. The little one between the can and the pump body was just slush.

Any recommendations for pipes? I'm not paying ducati prices so I'll look for them elsewhere and miss out of the Ducati markup.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pop to your local motor factors or Halfords. It’s just 8mm ID fuel hose. I did mine yesterday and the boggo non OEM pipe was much better than the recently replaced pipes from Ducati which had failed after just 3 weeks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Don’t think you’ll have any choice, will you?

I damaged the main fuel pump pipe on my V4S while doing the Hokey Cokey with an aftermarket FullSix tank. ~£30 I think. Quite a lot for a 4” piece of rubber…

10. Gates submersible hose: part 27097 is the best quality you can get.

Not cheap though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. One of the most commonest fails boots, and didn't want to insult your intelligence. this must have been posted up a dozen times on here.
    no experience of the Halfords pipe, but it needs to be impervious to petrol soaking which a lot of them aren't and even the ones that are, still fail in time, (as we all discover) but no point in taking chances. I've heard people use Gates equiv as above, I use Pirtek (impervious type) hose, usually the Guildford branch. I can't remember a spec or size but seem to remember picking a hose that was slightly tighter than original, do not use a hose that's slightly loose before clamping.

https://www.pirtek.co.uk/find-service-centre/

EDIT just had a browse on here, a Cohline 2190.0615 spec keeps cropping up, size should be 8mm but better still 5/16" as slightly "snugger" (7.9mm).
    if you want to order and not pick-up then here's an option:-

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/mocal-8mm-bore-in-tank-fuel-hose-mocitfh-5/

#72 Chris, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. If it hadn't run before i did the belts, i'd agree with you.

13. You need submersible hose. The stuff from Halfords isn't and in 2 years you have the same issue. The spec is SAE30R10.
    Demon tweaks sell it at a reasonable price or this place here is the cheapest I could find.
    https://www.cohpro.com/fuel-hose-in-tank-7-3mm-id.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. When I suggested Halfords / local motor factors I thought it was quite obvious you would need submersible hose , given their location is in the tank. If they don’t have submersible hose obviously you would need to widen your search. My local place was able to supply submersible hose thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. both times my hoses went was very random.

1st time was halfway home and on a sharp corner I hit a manhole cover which was ever so slightly raised. Barely felt going over it, but it instantly felt as though I’d hit the kill switch and the bike ground to a halt. I initially thought I was chasing an electrical issue. After leaving it overnight the Bike would almost fire but not quite catch which made me start looking at fuel instead.

Most recent one was even more bizarre. Had done about 60 miles when we parked up for 10min. Got ready to leave for next destination and bike fired up as normal, but as I left the junction the bike nearly stalled and I had to catch it with the clutch and add a fair bit more revs. About a mile later it started to become more obvious something was going amiss and it progressively ran worse. I knew straight away it was classic fuel starvation symptoms and parked up. Picked bike up in the van and checked when I got home, that’s when I found split hose. Mine were replaced only 3 weeks earlier with genuine Ducati hoses and have had one swell up and come off, the other swell and split. This is all on super unleaded E5

16. with respect Slingy, you just needed to put submersible/impervious to petrol in your post - just checked my closest Halfords and they don't sell this off the reel or in blister packs.

see post from 2012:-
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/748-in-tank-fuel-pipes.6654/

• Like Like x 2
  17. yeah in hindsight I should have added that bit. I just took it for granted it’s was a given they needed to be impervious but accept not everyone would ask for the correct thing.:upyeah:

I got mine from old school local motor factors who had a nice little off cut of impervious hose on the shelf for me which was dead handy.

#80 Slingy123, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
Do Not Sell My Personal Information