1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Boots' Thread For Daft Questions

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by bootsam, Aug 30, 2021.

1. It’s okay. I’m more than aware that coincidence has a habit of turning up when you least expect it. Hence I pulled the pump out for a look. I’ve got a length of submersible line and a new filter on its way. I had wet plugs before too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Old stock OEM hoses are not rated for Ethanol at all. In this case OEM is the worst you can get. When not immersed they are fine. I still have the original external fuel hoses on mine. 27 years old and still look good but in the tank they go off quickly. Even the immersible hoses aren't that good. I change mine every 3 years to be sure. I got that figure from MV Agusta's service schedule for the F4. Same fuel pump, filter and pump plate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fuggin hoses???? Ye bassahs….

Brown bottle lives…..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. @bootsam I’m curious how fuel was getting to the plugs to wet them if the hoses inside the tank were shot to pieces :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I think I know this answer but will on this occasion allow the bootsam to squirm a little.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. So am I Paul. Consider me squirming Chris, coz I’m still wondering myself. But if once she has new caps and new lines and she still doesn’t fire up……

I suspect it may be the wd40 I fired down. Who knows. Answers on a postcard to PO Box bootsisanumpty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. bearing in mind fuel is pushed rather than sucked through to the injectors no doubt some would of made it through. but dribbling down the sides aint gonna work. hmm, i wonder if the vacuum in the manifold could even suck a lil out of an open injector.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Mine was the same, drenched plugs but split pump hose. I rekon there was still some fuel being pumped through but under no where near enough pressure to atomise properly. So when injector opened to fire it would have been larger droplets dripping into cylinder which won’t ignite and therefore wetting the plugs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Exactly right, some fuel will make it through and dribble out. Hence sometimes the engine may even have a cough.

10. I wasn’t trying to make you squirm @bootsam I was/am genuinely curious and yes the explanations given by others above are plausible. :upyeah:

11. Do we have fuel air spark combined synchro-action as yet?

12. I’m awaiting parts. Namely submersible pipe, new filter, petrol etc. I’m assured Friday delivery. If it still doesn’t start, then there is always the Basil Fawlty option. I’ve a new set of HT leads due too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Fitted new pipework to fuel pump but was driven from my garage last evening by blasted mozzies. BUT!, as I firmed the pump back into place, I heard a clang. Something has fallen off. But theres nothing to fall off? I peered into tank (prior to getting feasted upon by biblical mozzies) and see a black shape. I cant quite make it out. So, this means I have to remove it tonight to check. It actually looks like a black plastic screw on lid. Ye Ive no idea either. I also found a pill sized disc which I assume may be a datatag thing.

#93 bootsam, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  14. Sounds like witchcraft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I feel anaemic this morning. I got bitten to buggery. I really wanted to fire her up but couldnt due to the mozzies and having to take pump out again left me demoralised. Tbh I shouldve just closed the garage door.

16. lesson no1 in mechanics. feeling frustrated? walk away for 10.
    mozzies? ha, how many times have i heard from the south about the scurge of midges in the north.

17. Midges are fierce bastards that dont hide or run away. Mozzies are sly sleekit bastards who miraculously vanish like they have cloaking devices. I can respect a midge, but mozzies I despise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. yip, not nice. i wonder what fell in. something stuck to the bottom of the unit from where you had it sat i wonder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I'll find out tonight. Currently I have an itchy head like Ive got nits from all the bites. I considered leaving my gas burner lit to toast the bastards but I thought better of it. I had visions of a Darwin award.

20. doh, dont do that, it will only end in tears. back yer van up to your garage door, get a hose pipe on the exhaust, feed it through under the garage door then. no more worries. ever.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information