1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Bought A 748 Rescue Dog..advice Sought..

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Skye Hook, May 22, 2019.

1. yeah,the ECU is still a Virgin,so i shall poke into that and get a chip puller whilst i am at it.
    seems everyone agrees that there is no way 3.5 litres of coolant in that bike,the problem is the filler tube fills up but the reservoir tank is not showing anything at the MIN-MAX markers,so i will try taking her for a decent run and see what that does,the main thing i suppose is having maybe 2 litres of juice in there now anyways and no visible leaks etc.
    and thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Am I missing something, you say the filler tube fills up but it's not showing in the header tank high and low marker, what do you mean by filler tube, keep filling until it fills to the mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Same question from me. You're not looking at the expansion tank above the front, horizontal, cylinder are you? There's be nowt in that util the coolant is very hot and has expanded.

4. I always fill the rad and 1/2 fill the expansion tank. Run for a bit and refill as required.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. no,you're not missing anything,i fill it up using the filler tube/under the filler cap in front of the tank,this backs up,BUT the expansion tank does NOT fill,there's the rub.i cannot see the level at all in the expansion tank,which is kind of what you would think you would be pouring straight into.
    by expansion tank i mean the one directly under the tank front not on top of the cylinder.So,i guess the coolant goes down and into the sytem and enters the expansion tanks last,but my coolant just backs up before it gets that far.

6. You have two tanks, the header tank no 1 where you fill it up under the front of the petrol tank at the side of the headstock this needs to be filled to the marks on the side, then you have a lower tank no 12 ( expansion tank ) that sits on the engine between the cylinders, this expansion tank should be empty, it is there to take excess pressure in case of over heating.
    [​IMG]
    Tank no 1 should be filled to the mark, tank no 12 should be empty.
    Steve

#46 Birdie, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I do recall reading in an earlier post you describe the coolant dribbling out. Did you take the coolant tank cap off
    It should drain very quick

8. yes,i took off the drain plug at both points,the crankcase side and the one near the front pipe, as suggested in the manual,the coolant would dribble out first off and then a big gulp and it comes squirting out as it should.
    my fault with the terminology,the header tank is not filling.
    its looking dry today so i will sneak off work early and take a run out,see what happens.

9. What do you mean (the header tank isn't filling) remove the pressure cap and fill it up to the mark.
    Do you mean you fill it up to the mark and later the level has dropped?
    Steve

10. OK,confession time...the Header tank is so opaque that i cannot see any coolant,however,with the aid of a very bright torch behind it..voila! its full.
    sheesh...i thought there was something badly amiss.back of the class. IMG_1578.JPG
    gave her a tank full of super unleaded and blew out some cobwebs for 40 miles,brilliant! also worked out what that clanky front end is..steering head bearings are shot,so thats another job,but maybe one for the local garage as i dont have any way of suspending that front end.
    maybe some sticky rubber once i have all this essential work out the way, its a great motorcycle under all that neglect after all.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Glad to read you got it sorted in the end, I think you had us all perplexed there.

Re suspending the front end, a bit of bondage never goes amiss ;). If you have a garage/shed is there some way you can securely fix some large hooks into the ceiling?

87B384F9-28F5-4194-87AA-5EE917922660.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. A bit like washing a car, Paul!

13. You’ve lost me there @JoeC :confused::thinkingface:

14. The Fast Show, Swiss Toni (car dealer). Google it!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Never seen it. Now I’m going to have to watch it just to find out :upyeah:

16. NEXT Problem! head bearings are loose,not sure if they are knackered,but it looks like you need a special tool to undo them and torque back up?? local garage cant do it,Inverness bike shop cant do it..help! does anyone rent out this tool??

17. I believe you can buy the special tool or make something up yourself, should be somebody on here can help soon :upyeah:

18. yes,thank you,the garage was freaking out over a $300 tool,but i found one for 16 quid,so in we go.head stock is really clunky so i hope it just needs a tightening,got through an MOT two months ago and you would think they would've picked up on that eh? anyway,no freaking out,e bay to the rescue!,thanks Harry

19. Apparently Ducati had limited stocks of grease in the factory for assembly I've been told (Kawasaki were similar) :D

20. JAYZUSSS! this bloody machine,trying to get the head bearing nut off and this is going really pear shaped.undid the pinch bolt and tried to move it,no joy,got a long bar onto the job and it squeeks a tiny bit at a time,grunting and sweating at my end,but there is so much pressure when it hits another tight spot that the tool and the nut are both suffering badly,pins are going out of shape and the holes are wearing oval, and it still shows nothing ,WTF?? i think the dildo that had this just torqued it up as hard as he could and knackered the bearings,the whole things is clunky as hell at the front end now,worse now i have been at it.what can i do here?cant seem to avoid knackering everything with no guarantee that i am even undoing it yet,and it aint left hand thread is it..what a shambles.

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information